What's new

Nikon D70 vs. D100

Dulouz

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Location
Porterville, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at getting one of these two cameras used. Both are right around my price range. I need advice on which to get.

I've looked at comparison charts, but I'm having a hard time deciphering all of the technical speak. Please help. Thanks!
 
I'm looking at getting one of these two cameras used. Both are right around my price range. I need advice on which to get.

I've looked at comparison charts, but I'm having a hard time deciphering all of the technical speak. Please help. Thanks!

I don't know those two models well enough to help you. However, you might wish to also post here.
 
Thanks. I have now done that.

If anyone here has some advice, I would still love to hear it.
 
i have a d100 and at one time it was considered a high end digital camera.

i love it, but the reality is new advantages have passed it by. i have kept mine as a back up , but rarely use it now.

I have not looked at the d70 so i can't compare point by point but would be tempted to go in that direction for the more uptodate changes.

you might try taking a memory card with you and take some photos (the same one) with both cameras. Take them home and see if you can see a difference. that difference should give you an answer.
 
From what I have read (here and elsewhere) the features of the D70 surpass those of the D100. I think I'm mainly wondering how the sensors compare.
 
The D70 is easily better, if anything, because of the flash system.

D-TTL SUCKS.

THe D70 is faster in everyway, the D70s has a larger screen, and the D70 has a larger RAW buffer.

The only thing the D100 has over the D70 is the D100 can take a standard cable release. But that's because the top deck is essentially the same one pulled off the N80.
 
Thanks for everyone's posts, epecially Switch.

I purchased a used D70 this morning from KEH. Soon I'll pick up the 50mm 1.8.
 
So I all along I was already set on buying a Nikon. I pretty much ruled out Canon from the beginning.

Now I'm looking around found a Canon 30D that is also in my price range, but I've already purchased the D70. Can anyone tell me how these two cameras compare?

Also, I'm looking at getting a 50 mm 1.8 for whatever body I end up with. Can anyone tell me how the Canon 50mm 1.8 and the Nikon 50mm 1.8 compare?
 
D70 and EOS 30D...not as much difference in imaging output as many people would imagine, since the 30D's imager and image processing is basically the same as the 20D's imager and image processing system. 6 versus 8.2 megapixels isn't much of a difference in terms of resolution,since the AA filter and image processing chain are at least as important as the sensor used.

You might try the two cameras once the 30D gets there,and see what you yourself think. Here's an interesting review of the 30D's parent, the 20D, by noted Nikon expert Thom Hogan; this is one of very few reviews that will give you some idea of how the 30D's basic layout and its sensor compares with the D70--from the perspective of an experienced,professional photographer and from somebody who has written many published guide books on various cameras and flash units.

Canon 20D Review by Thom Hogan

As far as how the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and the Canon 50mm 1.8 EF-II compare...this one angers a lot of Canon shooters, but the Canon lens is substantially inferior in multiple areas. The Canon has a crude, 5-bladed diaphragm, and poor anti-reflective coatings,and when shot toward strong light sources,like the sun outdoors during the summer months, the 50/1.8 EF-II ghosts very badly,and it also has a loud, slow,and inconsistent autofocusing performance,and is made with a plastic mount and is literally riveted together. The undercorrected spherical aberration and the crude, 5-sided diaphragm in concert, yield extremely poor bokeh that is charitably described as "nervous". I bought a Canon 50 1.8 EF-II,and had quite a few photos ruined when the lens could not deal with later afternoon sunlight; the antireflective coating design and the lens's optical performance is so poor when shot against the light, it's not even funny; it is significantly worse than Nikon's old 1980's Series E (E for Nikon EM, but commonly though of as E for Economy) 50mm 1.8 lens. I gave my 50/1.8 EF-II away to my wife's nephew,and bought the Canon 50/1.4 EF, which is substantially better.

The Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF-D is built better,focused more quietly,and focuses with much more reliability on lower-end bodies than Canon's econo-50. it has a normal, 1960's to 1990's style 7-bladed diaphragm,and is more ghost and flare resistant than the Canon econo-50, but the Nikkor's bokeh is not all that hot, but it is nowhere near as nervous as the Canon's bokeh. This lens has a metal mount and the barrel is held together by screws and not rivets. Clearly, on several fronts, the Nikon 50 1.8 beats the Canon 50 1.8 EF-II.

Far better than either though is Canon's 50/1.4 EF, which is a very good conventional 50mm pro-class lens. A lot of beginners talk up the 50 EF-II,and so you'll hear a lot about how 'sharp' it is, but not much about its AF tendencies or its harsh bokeh or its ghosting tendencies,which is to be expected from beginners who own a kit lens and have their first-ever prime lens,and have not shot any other 50mm designs that are made to a professional standard. Try and find another modern 35mm/d-slr lens with a 5-bladed diaphragm and that costs a hundred dollars....nobody else is willing to make that many compromises.
 
Wow. Thanks for such a thorough review Derrel. For now I think I'll stick with the D70.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom