Nikon D700 or D300S for College?

hedgy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I realize that the decision between these two camera has been posted about before, however most of those threads are older and of course were based on different criteria. I am going to be starting college in a month and will need a new camera; I currently have a Nikon D60. I will be a photojournalism major (also considering switching to photo illustration later) so will definitely need a major upgrade, and am torn between the D700 and the D300S, both listed as acceptable for my major. With the first I would have the advantages of the full frame sensor and its low noise, but the D300S is much cheaper, has a 100% viewfinder, and the dual card capability. I was just wondering if anyone could help recommend one of these for my needs, since I'm not certain which features will be more important or if the D700 is worth the extra money and the need to buy new lenses. Thanks ahead!

I thought it was worth the extra $ to swap to a D700 from a D300s. If money is a concern the D300 is a very fine and rugged piece of equipment.

I thought it was worth the extra $ to swap to a D700 from a D300s. If money is a concern the D300 is a very fine and rugged piece of equipment.

He said 700 not 7000. :)

So did I. where's the confusion? I had a D300s, sold it and bought a D700. For me it was a logical next move although the D300s is really a fine camera in every respect!

So did I. where's the confusion? I had a D300s, sold it and bought a D700. For me it was a logical next move although the D300s is really a fine camera in every respect!

*smacks myself* I read your first reply as "uprade FROM a d700 TO a d300s" Sometimes I swear I'm dislexic. Sorry.

I will always say full frame if you have the $$$ for it and the FX glass that you have to attach to it.

But, in your case, I would say go for the D300s. Of course I do not know what type of glass you have now. If you do not have any FX glass now you can get the D300s and use all of your lenses now and pick up some FX lenses down the road.

Low light is great, but those photojournalism guys use flash anyway. Just learn to bounce your light!

I'm a student. I bought the D7000 as a temp body while i wait for an update version of the D700 thats long LONG overdue.

I'm a student. I bought the D7000 as a temp body while i wait for an update version of the D700 thats long LONG overdue.
I think you made the correct choice.
The D7000 is the best Nikon for the money and will give you lots of time to wait for the availability of the D300 and D700 replacements.

Most reactions

Back