Nikon D7000 or D7100

I'd also scrap the macro and 18-70 and choose the 16-85. You'll thank me later.

I have a D7100 and a D7000.
unless I am doing heavy cropping (which is rare) I really don't see much of a quality difference in the pictures.
the 7100 has more focus points to choose from, but I pretty much always use center point focus and spot metering anyway.
The focus points might make more of a difference in af-c mode or active mode, but since i don't use them, i have no idea.
the AF is just a little faster on the 7100, but not by some monumental amount.
the 7100 DOES handle higher ISO noticeably better than the D7000, especially up around the 3200+ range.

for the money, you really cant beat the D7000's value right now.
if you CAN budget the extra money for the D7100, then its a slightly better camera overall.
however, I don't see anyone being disappointed buying the D7000 and using the extra money for accessories or glass.
I would also look for used or refurb lenses. you can get the nikkor 70-300 VRII used on ebay all day long around $350 or so in EX condition.
you can also check places like KEH, Adorama, or B&H for used gear. I think they all have a return policy for used equipment. Adorama's is 14 days.

I had a D7000 and now have a D7100. The autofocus on the D7100 is significantly significantly significantly significantly better than the D7000. In shooting my son's soccer games, the accuracy is unquestionably better. My son plays U17 and U19, so the speed of the game necessitates accurate and fast focusing. The D7100 is a huge improvement in that regard.

What do you guys think about the D400? Rumours are that it will be announced in Sept. Does anyone know the rumored price for it? Im Thinking $1600 MRP? As the D7100 is $1200 MRP.

I need a macro lens. I was considering the 16-85 VR but its too expensive.

Get the 16-85mm VR used, it will be much cheaper.
If you need a marco lens then get a macro lens.

What do you guys think about the D400? Rumours are that it will be announced in Sept. Does anyone know the rumored price for it? Im Thinking $1600 MRP? As the D7100 is $1200 MRP.

You need to decide what you want and go for it, rumours are rumours.
The D400 if it will come out is a camera with a focus on more pro needs, it will probably be made more rugged with a much bigger buffer and higher FPS count.
Will it cost 1600$ ?
Who knows.

I just bought the Nikon D7100 and it cost me 1050$ so even if the D400 will come out and even if it will cost 1600$ then we are already talking about 550$ difference.
Frankly if I was willing to spend 1600$ on a camera I would add 200$ more dollars and get the D600 which I think for the non pro is probably the best camera in the market to date.

I need a macro lens. I was considering the 16-85 VR but its too expensive.

Get the 16-85mm VR used, it will be much cheaper.
If you need a marco lens then get a macro lens.

You need to decide what you want and go for it, rumours are rumours.
The D400 if it will come out is a camera with a focus on more pro needs, it will probably be made more rugged with a much bigger buffer and higher FPS count.
Will it cost 1600$ ?
Who knows.

I just bought the Nikon D7100 and it cost me 1050$ so even if the D400 will come out and even if it will cost 1600$ then we are already talking about 550$ difference.
Frankly if I was willing to spend 1600$ on a camera I would add 200$ more dollars and get the D600 which I think for the non pro is probably the best camera in the market to date.
Well, you can get a D600 for $1450! Thats an amazing deal! Is that worth it?

Well, you can get a D600 for $1450! Thats an amazing deal! Is that worth it?

Are you kidding me ?
Is it worth it ?

Heck yeh its worth it!!!
Grab it with both hands and RUN.

D600 is a full frame camera and a very good camera it is.
But you should know the lenses for a FF body does cost more but I think its well worth the investment both in the short and long run.

Get the lenses used, all my FF lenses are used (except the 50mm 1.8), it will make this purchase much easier on the pocket.

I'm going to wait and see what comes next. The D600 just doesn't do that much for me and the D800 would be overkill for my needs. I don't really have any interest in a full-frame body but at the same time I've had the recent urge to try one for a while. I've almost bought both at different times, and then change my mind because I don't really want either. I like crop-sensor bodies because of the high resolution in a smaller area, however a 24mp full-frame has the same overall resolution. I dunno, guess I'll wait and see what comes next.

I'm going to wait and see what comes next. The D600 just doesn't do that much for me and the D800 would be overkill for my needs. I don't really have any interest in a full-frame body but at the same time I've had the recent urge to try one for a while. I've almost bought both at different times, and then change my mind because I don't really want either. I like crop-sensor bodies because of the high resolution in a smaller area, however a 24mp full-frame has the same overall resolution. I dunno, guess I'll wait and see what comes next.
I was forced to make the same decision you made.
Unlike you I am dreaming of a FF body (not because I need it but because I want it).
Due to issues I had with my D7K I was forced to get another camera, got a good deal on a D7100 and simply couldnt afford the D600 so I will enjoy the D7100 for a year or two and when the replacement of the D600 will come out I will probably get it.
After all I got the lenses ready for a FF.

But the D7100 really is such an AWESOME tool that I am in no real big hurry to get another camera.

I'm sure Nikon will release a New Semi/Pro DX body soon and probably closer to the $2,000 range. The question is, what do you shoot? The D400 (or what number) will most likely be geared towards photographers who shoot Sports and Wildlife.

I would expect the D400 to be closer to the $2000 range then $1600. The D400 cant just be a D7100 with a bigger buffer. It needs a bigger/stronger/pro body... It needs a faster processer to move 20+MP images around at a high FPS... It needs a better AF system then the D7100... It needs a better sensor then the D7100(D5200)... It needs more connection ports (Maybe built in WiFi). That stuff doesn't come cheap.

With the cost of the D600 dropping (under $1500 for a refurb.. discounted lens bundles... etc) the D400 is going to be a hard sell for the majority of consumers. Nikon has made it clear it wants PRO's on FX. I hope we see a D400 this september.... but then i've been waiting for the D400 each september for the past 3 years.

Nikon has made it clear it wants PRO's on FX.

That maybe a hard switch for wildlife photographers who benefit from the added reach using a crop camera.

Most reactions

Back