Nikon D7000 or D7100

This may be a dumb question, but does the minimum focus distance of a specific lens stay the same even with the 1.3 crop or does that change?

The best way I can really answer that is that the 1.3 crop mode acts as a digital crop. When you look through the viewfinder and you activate crop mode, a square appears, showing what you're currently zoomed at. What's inside the square is what's recorded, and anything left in the frame is simply discarded.

This may be a dumb question, but does the minimum focus distance of a specific lens stay the same even with the 1.3 crop or does that change?

Minimum Focus Distance (MFD) of a lens is the same on all formats of Nikon bodies, so if a lens goes down to say 1.2 meters on a D3s, it'll be 1.2 meters MFD at ALL aspect ratios: Full-field FX, or the 5.4 aspect AKA the "8x10" format, or the DX-crop that uses the just center area of the 24x36mm sensor.

I need to Make a Quick decision between the D7000 and the D7100. What is the difference in image quality between the two. I was looking forward to the D7100 but a bad buffer is pushing me away from it. Which one do i buy? There is also a significant price difference between the two as you can get the D7000 on sale for $620!

This is what I plan to buy -
Nikon D7000 - $619.99
Nikon 18-70mm - $288.99
Nikon 70-300mm - $509.95
Nikon 85mm Macro - $526.95

TOTAL - $1945.88

The D7100 is an additional $279.96.

Is the D7100 worth the extra? Even when considering the bad buffer?

Good question, really. You get the higher MP count sensor, AND the newer, more-sophisticated AF system in the D7100. I personally think for the $279 extra, the D7100 is a nice camera, but the buffer is only like 6 shots in RAW mode; the write-to-card parts Nikon uses are low-spec, according to Thom Hogan's D7100 review, so in RAW mode the D7100 fills the buffer in ONE second at high frame rate...

Not sure if that's a deal-breaker or not.

Minimum Focus Distance (MFD) of a lens is the same on all formats of Nikon bodies, so if a lens goes down to say 1.2 meters on a D3s, it'll be 1.2 meters MFD at ALL aspect ratios: Full-field FX, or the 5.4 aspect AKA the "8x10" format, or the DX-crop that uses the just center area of the 24x36mm sensor.

That's what I thought. I was just making sure there wasn't something odd about the 7100 that maybe affected how close the MFD would be on each lens.

I heard some D7000's have problems with backfocusing. Not mine, but I know people who had that problem. D7100 doesn't have these problems, or I don't know about it.
Thats very true, I had back focusing problems with my D7000 which were never fully resolved, main reason why I upgraded to the D7100.
So far I cant see any focusing issues with the D7100, camera working like a charm or may I say as it should.

Canon's, Pentax, and lots of other camera makes have had front/back focusing issues.
Nikon's higher grade cameras have a focus tuning function.

It's all mass produced, consumer electronics and there is always some amount of variation because of the way tolerances add up, +, 0, or -.

Most reactions

Back