Nikon D7000 or D7100

That maybe a hard switch for wildlife photographers who benefit from the added reach using a crop camera.

I used to think that way... but the times have changed. Pixel density on DX bodies and the lack of lenses able to resolve that much detail make "DX for wildelife" a Myth.

DX or FX for Sports and Wildlife Photography

Yes sir, I've read that article. Good article for sure. The Nikon D700 mentioned in that article is a good balance in my opinion offering both resolution and speed in an FX body. The D800 is a nice camera no doubt but I'm holding out for either a D400 or D700. Who knows, the D400 could be an FX body?

Yes sir, I've read that article. Good article for sure. The Nikon D700 mentioned in that article is a good balance in my opinion offering both resolution and speed in an FX body. The D800 is a nice camera no doubt but I'm holding out for either a D400 or D700. Who knows, the D400 could be an FX body?

I've given up on the D400.. Im just going to wait for the D800 replacement and go with that :)

Id love the D600. But Im using a 200mm lens on DX. That gives me 300mm. And that just doesnt cut it for taking pictures of birds! The 300mm on DX would be an upgrade, but a 300mm on FX will not show any difference. I just need that extra reach!

Id love the D600. But Im using a 200mm lens on DX. That gives me 300mm. And that just doesnt cut it for taking pictures of birds! The 300mm on DX would be an upgrade, but a 300mm on FX will not show any difference. I just need that extra reach!

Use the D600 in DX Crop Mode.

Use the D600 in DX Crop Mode.
That would be a 16mp image not 24mp. So more noise will be seen!

My options are the D600 and the D7100. I need to choose between them.

I can grab a NEW D7100 for $900
I can grap a NEW D600 for $1450

That would be a 16mp image not 24mp. So more noise will be seen!

My options are the D600 and the D7100. I need to choose between them.

I can grab a NEW D7100 for $900
I can grap a NEW D600 for $1450

It would certainly be a 16mp image however no additional noise would be seen since the pixel density does not change.

What lenses would you recommend with the D600? I need 1 macro, 1 telephoto and 1 standard zoom

What lenses would you recommend with the D600? I need 1 macro, 1 telephoto and 1 standard zoom

All I can tell you is what I have and like. I have a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 macro lens that I like very well however it is DX format, I have a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 that I probably use more than all my other lenses combined, and I have a Sigma 150-500 f/5.6-6.3 for birds and wildlife. I have a few other lenses but those are the three that I use 99% of the time.

I am assuming money is an issue so I will not recommend the pro lenses.

I recomend the lenses I use.
From my experience these lenses are very good and very sharp, not the fastest in the market but then they are much, much cheapper and I highly recommend them.
These are FX lenses designed for full frame but work just as good on DX crop sensor cameras.

For moderate zoom
24-85mm VR-Very sharp lens, resonably fast and VR is pretty effective, this is the D600 kit lens and I can tell you this lens really doesnt get the respect it deserve. Its my go to lens and I do 95% of my shooting with it. It didnt fail me yet.
Cost me 325$ used

For long zoom
70-300mm VR, excellent lens, very sharp, very effective VR, simply excellent value
Cost me 280$ used

Sorry I cant recommend a macro lens, I dont own one and dont want to recommend a lens I didnt use.

My Nikon 70-300 gets more use than anything in my bag. I add vivitar extension tubes and then I use it for macro too.

Ok. This is actually pretty simple. Nikon D7100, Nikon (DX) 16-85, Nikon (FX) 70-300, and 105mm macro, if budget allows. That gives you an effective DX range of 16-450, or 16-585, using the D7100's 1.3 crop.

Ok. This is actually pretty simple. Nikon D7100, Nikon (DX) 16-85, Nikon (FX) 70-300, and 105mm macro, if budget allows. That gives you an effective DX range of 16-450, or 16-585, using the D7100's 1.3 crop.
Yeh that 1.3 crop mode is pretty crazy, regular zoom turns to tele zoom and tele zoom is becoming seriously long.
Still didn't try it but I will when I am out in nature.

I don't use the 1.3 crop a lot, but it's a nifty little tool when I just need that little bit extra...

This may be a dumb question, but does the minimum focus distance of a specific lens stay the same even with the 1.3 crop or does that change?

I heard some D7000's have problems with backfocusing. Not mine, but I know people who had that problem. D7100 doesn't have these problems, or I don't know about it.

Most reactions

Back