Nikon D7000 owner in search of lens

Suziellen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there- I do a lot of portraiture and I am looking for a better lens than the lenses that have came with my cameras. I want to spend no more than 1,900 max. Any favorites out there? I have been looking at the AF-S NIKKOR
24-70mm f/2.8G ED.. Any advice would be great! Thank you. I want something super sharp. :)

You will almost worship the 24-70 Nikkor.

24-70 is an amazing lens but its heavy on the wallet.
Look into prime lenses as well. What you loose in ability to zoom, you gain in quality and lesser price.
Another factor that is important to consider is your shooting style. If you are f/4.5-8 type of a portrait shooter then I'd recommend a wonderful 28-105 3.5-4.5. It is an older model lens, performs VERY well, can be found for under $300. I use this lens as my back up and it is really an amazing piece of glass.

Good Luck

Really? :) he he It's a lot of money so I want to make sure it is clear and meets my needs. The focal length seems good for kiddos, family photos, etc... I just wasn't sure if there was somewhat of an equivalant lens for cheaper that I should purchase instead...

I will check into that! Money isn't so much a big deal, I just want something better than the kit lenses I have. I hope a good lens will make a difference in my photos. I feel they're missing clarity. I have a 50 mm which I love but I do want a good zoom lens which is why I was checking into something like this one.

the 24-70 is pretty hard to beat if you have the money to spend on it. if you dont have the money for it then im sure you could find other good lenses for less money... i wouldnt know much about those lenses cause i just bought the 24-70, cause i knew if i didnt i would probably sell whatever i would have purchased and got it later anyways. i feel the 24-70 is worth it because its on the camera, unless i have a special need for another lens, like telephoto or wideangle. also i could see using a macro obiously for close ups, or something like an 85 1.4g prime for people. but for most shooting the 24-70 is on there.

its not just heavy on the wallet its heavy on the camera too. lol

Also considering this:
[h=1]AF-S NIKKOR
24-120mm f/4G ED VR
[/h]

I don't mind heavy in either way right now as I just do this as side work and mostly for a hobby. I am just looking for the perfect lens. It sounds like I won't regret this. Are there any negative aspects to it?

you would gain a little lenght and vr. just would loose a little light. with the f4 vs the f2.8

I will check into that! Money isn't so much a big deal, I just want something better than the kit lenses I have. I hope a good lens will make a difference in my photos. I feel they're missing clarity. I have a 50 mm which I love but I do want a good zoom lens which is why I was checking into something like this one.

If you're missing clarity, while shooting with the 50mm, you have issues other than the lens to fix. i.e. DOF, shutter speed, stability, etc...

If clarity is fine with the 50mm, but is missing with the kit lens, then yes, the 24-70 is an awesome upgrade. I've been lusting over it for months. I decided to invest in other things first, but it's a helluva lens... :)

i havent found one. some people complained about the sticky zoom, but i have a new model built in later 2011, and it zooms smooth. i mean the zoom extends(some people dont like that) i wouldnt really call it a downside...

Good point. I really like the option of shooting in lower light if needed...hhmm

No, I get good clarity with the 50mm. I love my 50 :) I have an unsteady hand occasionally but I am working on that. :) It's the lens that came with my two cameras that seem a bit soft or I don't know what it is but...I think a better lens will produce maybe a bit more clarity or pop. I am hoping. If I purchase this and still see this then I have some seriously bad skills he he.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back