Nikon D7100 $974 (Refurb)

ToddnTN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just bought a D7100. Could not be happier about the price

LINK

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just bought a D7100. Could not be happier about the price

LINK

I've heard a lot of people prefer the D7100 over the D5200, but it seems the only differences are a nicer physical feel (grip), weather sealing, built-in focus motor, better shutter life, and flash commander built-in (which I suppose can be a lot to some people).

I still don't quite understand why some people jump from a D5200 or D3200 to a D7100. To me it seems like a new lens or an upgrade to FX makes more sense. I suppose if you can mitigate the cost by about $500 by reselling the D5200 then it isn't such a bad move. I'm curious about what you see in the upgrade and what differences you've noticed so far.

edit: Nevertheless, nice price : )

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Two reason for the purchase.

1) The D5200 becomes my wife's camera. (No more sharing)
2) The D7100 has a built in focus motor to auto-focus my Nikon 180mm F/2.8 AF-d lens.

I went back and forth over whether to get a D600 or the D7100. I went with the D7100 due to price and the added reach.

Two reason for the purchase.

1) The D5200 becomes my wife's camera. (No more sharing)
2) The D7100 has a built in focus motor to auto-focus my Nikon 180mm F/2.8 AF-d lens.

I went back and forth over whether to get a D600 or the D7100. I went with the D7100 due to price and the added reach.

Ah, I suppose reason #1 is good enough! Hahaha.

Excellent purchase.

Isnt the 5000 series more menu driven than quick manual buttons at your reach with the 7000 series?
I tried a friends 5100 and changing setting i think was all menu driven, it drove me nuts. On the 7000 you have an aperture and shutters on different dials, whitebalance and iso a button then dial to change, motor drive which allows you to use non AF-S and G lens, some weatherseaing, partial metal frame, etc

In short it seems the 7100 is more laid out like a pro camera versus a consumer camera.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new camera, I own my D7100 for less then a month bought it for 1050$ new.
I was at the same boat like you, I really wanted to get the D600 but at the end of the day it was too much money.
Next camera will be an FX body.

Isnt the 5000 series more menu driven than quick manual buttons at your reach with the 7000 series?
I tried a friends 5100 and changing setting i think was all menu driven, it drove me nuts. On the 7000 you have an aperture and shutters on different dials, whitebalance and iso a button then dial to change, motor drive which allows you to use non AF-S and G lens, some weatherseaing, partial metal frame, etc

In short it seems the 7100 is more laid out like a pro camera versus a consumer camera.

The D5200 can be set up to be just as easy to use on the go.

Hold the "+/-" button down and turn the dial and it shifts your aperture.
Hold the "fn" button down and turn the dial and it shifts your iso.
Turn the dial without holding anything down and it shifts your shutter speed.
Press "i" and have quick access to your white balance and/or exposure compensation (not to sound like an ignorant beginner, but I think white balance isn't something that needs to be changed so quickly and so often that it requires a dedicated dial; not to mention selecting white balance with a dial may end up being just the same speed as selecting on a screen in two quick clicks).

I never shoot manual unless if I'm shooting in a controlled setting, or under special circumstances. I'm always using aperture-priority mode, and I select everything manually except for my shutter speed. This would be regardless of the camera. Again, maybe ignorant?

I think it's a little bit of a misconception by some people that the D5200 is heavily menu-driven.

So all-in-all, the OP has a great camera at a great price... and his wife is well off too :)

To me it seems like a new lens or an upgrade to FX makes more sense.

FX doesn't always equate to better...it's just a tool. Example, Wildlife photographers seem to prefer a crop camera due to the speed and crop factor. So it really depends on what you need.

The D5200 can be set up to be just as easy to use on the go.

Hold the "+/-" button down and turn the dial and it shifts your aperture.
Hold the "fn" button down and turn the dial and it shifts your iso.
Turn the dial without holding anything down and it shifts your shutter speed.
Press "i" and have quick access to your white balance and/or exposure compensation (not to sound like an ignorant beginner, but I think white balance isn't something that needs to be changed so quickly and so often that it requires a dedicated dial; not to mention selecting white balance with a dial may end up being just the same speed as selecting on a screen in two quick clicks).

I never shoot manual unless if I'm shooting in a controlled setting, or under special circumstances. I'm always using aperture-priority mode, and I select everything manually except for my shutter speed. This would be regardless of the camera. Again, maybe ignorant?

I think it's a little bit of a misconception by some people that the D5200 is heavily menu-driven.

Sounds like you're more interested in debating the D5200 vs D7100 as apposed to being interested in a low cost refurbished D7100. Is the D5200 a good camera? Sure, I have friends who shoot outstanding photos for their businesses with a D5200...so much so they have people asking for the number of their Photographer. Now with that said, the D7100 offers much more than you care to point out. Yes, you can press this button or hold that button but at the end of the day, dedicated dials and buttons makes shooting much easier.

Anyhow, here are some of th reasons I upgraded to a D7100 vs D5200.

-D7100 is weather sealed
-D7100 battery life is 900 shots vs 500 w/D5200
-D7100 shoots 6fps vs 5 DPS w/D5200
-D7100 Max shutter speed is 1/8000s vs 1/4000s
-D7100 has 51 Focal points vs 39 fp w/D5200
-D7100 has a built in Auto Focus motor (The D5200 does not)

For a thread to have a purpose, it has to stimulate discussion. He purchased a D7100, and had a D5200, and there is the discussion right there: How he has enjoyed the shift to the D7100, what he's enjoying more out of it, how the investment is working out for him, etc. I didn't derail the thread or choose its direction: I just came with my very-much on-topic questions, and discussion followed. I came and asked how he is enjoying the shift and what he sees in a D7100 over a D5200 (or similar). Someone else asked if the D5200 was menu-driven, so I posted a response...

Not to be harsh, but a D7100 is $1100 brand new. $980 for a refurb isn't much of a steal, but for someone on a very tight budget I suppose it could mean a bit of a difference. The congratulations to the OP is in order regardless, since it's exciting getting new gear... I'll post about any new gear I get for sure, regardless of the price.

As for FX not always coming out as better all the time: The only reasons for DX over FX (price aside) would be for that reach in wildlife photography. FX generally is preferred/desired over DX by anyone doing anything else (broad but usually true statement), so long as it fits into the budget. The reason I brought up the D5200 -> D7100 shift versus FX was because that is one of the areas that A LOT of amateur photographers end up debating the D600 versus D7100 (when I was researching what I was going to buy, it popped up constantly across various forums when I googled things up). It's only natural to ask.

Thanks PaulWog,

I had a tough choice last year when I choose the D7000 over the D5100.
But I'm glad I went with the D7000

I used to do photography years ago with a D70 and N80

I was all set to buy a D5100 with the 18-55 and 70-300 lens
but I reviewed exactly what I was going to use it for (initially) - astrophotography.

Plus I wanted to use higher end lenses without paying mega $$ for them, the AI-S, AF & AF-D.
Thus the requirements pushed the D5100 out of the equation:
a motordrive, weather sealing (at times dew gets on the telescope, so one can expect it on the camera).

So I stretched by budget and got the D7000
I thought I would miss the flip screen but I realized for my focusing needs on telescopes that the screen was simply not accurate enough, thus the bigger viewfinder was nice.

But now I want to do architecture, and inside pictures, and portraits ... so the D600 seems the way to go for true lens wide angle .. but a total budget killer. But at least all my existing lens will work fine except for the kit 18-105. Maybe by the time the D620 comes out ....

I've heard a lot of people prefer the D7100 over the D5200, but it seems the only differences are a nicer physical feel (grip), weather sealing, built-in focus motor, better shutter life, and flash commander built-in (which I suppose can be a lot to some people).

Using your logic... why would people pick a D4 over a D7000? They both have 16mp... but you save over $5k getting a D7000!!

Lets start with the obvious differences between the D5200 and the D7100.. The D7100 has:

Better/Faster Auto Focus System
More AF Points (51 vs. 39)
built in focus motor
Weather Sealed body
Dual card slots
Faster FPS (6 vs. 5)
Faster Shutter Speed 1/8000 vs 1/4000 (ever shoot in bright daylight and want a shallow DOF.. f/2.8+?)
100% Viewfinder coverage (vs 95%)
More RAW options ( 12 or 14.. compressed or lossless)

How about some of the subtle diffrences... the D7100 again has:
More exposure bracketing options
Flash bracketing (non-existent on the D5200)
Larger LCD
Larger Battery (950 shots per charge vs. 500 shots on the D5200)

The list goes on... Just because you don't need any of the features the D7100 has doesn't mean other people don't need or want them.

Using your logic... why would people pick a D4 over a D7000? They both have 16mp... but you save over $5k getting a D7000!!

Lets start with the obvious differences between the D5200 and the D7100.. The D7100 has:

Better/Faster Auto Focus System
More AF Points (51 vs. 39)
built in focus motor
Weather Sealed body
Dual card slots
Faster FPS (6 vs. 5)
Faster Shutter Speed 1/8000 vs 1/4000 (ever shoot in bright daylight and want a shallow DOF.. f/2.8+?)
100% Viewfinder coverage (vs 95%)
More RAW options ( 12 or 14.. compressed or lossless)

How about some of the subtle diffrences... the D7100 again has:
More exposure bracketing options
Flash bracketing (non-existent on the D5200)
Larger LCD
Larger Battery (950 shots per charge vs. 500 shots on the D5200)

The list goes on... Just because you don't need any of the features the D7100 has doesn't mean other people don't need or want them.

You seem to be taking things a little personally? You're taking me out of context, and putting words in my mouth a little bit. You're going over a thorough list of differences which I am intimately aware of: I wasn't about to list every difference between the two cameras. I summarized some key differences, and waited for the OP's response...

I never said the D7100 is a bad purchase. I said I have difficulty seeing why one would purchase a D7100 if they already HAVE a D5200, and I was curious about why the OP went for the D7100 and wanted to know why. I was clearly talking to the OP, and was clearly writing in context to his personal situation.

Thanks PaulWog,

I had a tough choice last year when I choose the D7000 over the D5100.
But I'm glad I went with the D7000

But now I want to do architecture, and inside pictures, and portraits ... so the D600 seems the way to go for true lens wide angle .. but a total budget killer. But at least all my existing lens will work fine except for the kit 18-105. Maybe by the time the D620 comes out ....

Interesting thoughts :)

I feel like a kid who's parents are fighting....I just wanted to show you my new toy....I am sorry, it's all my fault.....*run's to his room*

In all seriousness, I understand PaulWog's question. I had the same logic in trying to figure out what to do. From a pure picture quality standpoint it does not seem that the D7100 is a real upgrade from the D5200, but for my needs it fills the role and is the camera I should have bought in the first place. In fact I was ready to box the D5200 up and send it back until my wife decided she wanted to keep it for herself. From there I have spent the last month or so trying to figure out which camera I should get for myself; the D600 or D7100. I liked the low light handling of the D600 but I liked the reach of the D7100. In the end it came down to the D7100 did everything I need and for the price, I can afford to maybe get another lens to go with it whereas with the D600 it had some luxury features but would have left me broke.

So the end result of all of this is that my wife is happy with her D5200. I think I will be happy with the D7100 and we have 3 lens to share:

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 af-s g
Nikon 180mm f/2.8 Af-d
Nikon 18-55 VR kit lens

Now I just have to talk her into letting me get a new fast normal zoom or a 70-200 f/2.8 or something I have not thought of yet. :)

As for FX not always coming out as better all the time: The only reasons for DX over FX (price aside) would be for that reach in wildlife photography. FX generally is preferred/desired over DX by anyone doing anything else (broad but usually true statement), so long as it fits into the budget. The reason I brought up the D5200 -> D7100 shift versus FX was because that is one of the areas that A LOT of amateur photographers end up debating the D600 versus D7100 (when I was researching what I was going to buy, it popped up constantly across various forums when I googled things up). It's only natural to ask.

The D600 is probably consumer DX camera with an FX sensor. I mean there isn't a lot there other than an FX sensor. It's slow compared to my old D300 and you loose MP switching to DX mode compared to something like the D7100. So its probably not going to make for a good wildlife or sports camera. It's not a money issue per say, I could have easily have bought a D600 but I prefer my D7100 more. The only draw back that I'm running up against with the D7100 is it's smaller buffer. I suspect that we would have seen a lot more people buying a D7100 than we do had Nikon installed a larger buffer. Speed and buffer size is going to be what draws me in for my next upgrade, right now I'll pulling for a D400 or will settle for a D800 if that doesn't happen.

The D800 RAW file size scares me and my old slow computer. LOL
It would be optimal if it had selectable RAW File size, like L,M,S like you do with the JPG Fine, Basic plus file size.

I've toyed with the idea before I got the D7000 of getting a used FX camera, such as a D700 or an older D2x (or something like that).
But the video mode of the D7000 was handy (no video on D700 or D2) as I also used the video mode of my pocket Nikon. I"ve also used the video on the D7000 too. It's nice to have such a good reach for video of kids school events.

Most reactions

Back