Nikon D750? Nikon 16-35mm f2.8 or f4?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by salmeida86, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Again: Nikon doesnt offer a 16-35/2.8.

I mean sure they offer that old 17-35/2.8 with that plastic aspherical lens element ... I wouldnt recomment getting that one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You are absolutely correct Nikon does not make a 16 to 35 mm f/ 2.8 zoom lens, but they do make a 16 to 35 mm f/ 4 Zoom with vibration reduction or VR.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

I never said otherwise.

In fact I already discussed that lens. I own it, but I wouldnt recomment it. The genius lens is the AF-S 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 because its amazingly lightweight, half as expensive, and optically slightly better than the AF-S 16-35mm f4 VR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I never said that you didn't , so no reason to think that I implied something that you did not say. I merely mentioned that they make a 16 to 35mm f /4 VR. It's time to get over yourself, we get that you know that there is no F 2.8 model.

Vibration reduction counts for a lot. I would rather have vibration reduction than "optical superiority".

For example the old 80-400 VR was not that good optically but it had a good vibration reduction system which allowed me to make many photos in windy conditions or aboard sport fishing boats, and using the active VR setting I was able to make many good photos as slow as 1/6 of a second at 400 mm. At really slow speeds the human body becomes the moving platform which active VR was designed to be used in , such as in helicopters or aboard moving vehicles and watercraft .

Vibration Reduction counts for a lot especially when you're shooting one handed or when panning the camera, or shooting available light handheld at slow speeds and in a number of adverse shooting conditions. For a travel camera and particularly for a beginner or intermediate shooter, I think that the addition of vibration reduction counts for far more than ultimate Optical quality. if you have to shoot at 1/8 of a second vibration reduction can make a cheap lens outperform a very expensive Prime. With a months practice a person can learn to utilize vibration reduction to take shots that are simply not possible with a tripod or a monopod. Vibration reduction is perhaps the single biggest advance for people who wish to shoot panning photos or to shoot from moving vehicles, such as buses , cars, horseback, aircraft, boats, Etc. It is one thing to say that the a lens is sharp , but if an image suffers from shutter speed blur then it does not matter how sharp the lens was. There is a reason that Nikon built the 16 to 35 m m f / 4 vibration reduction lens.

There is no genius lens. A really slowish zoom lens such as an F/3.5 to F/4.5 is not my idea of a great lens for travel photography.

Being stuck at f/ 4.5 wide open at 35 mm means your lens is 2/3 of a stop slower than the 16 to 35 f/4.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

2nd the 18-35 nikkor. Its a fantastic value and crisp in its rendering. Personally I don't see a need for VR on this focal length. It is very light

• Like Like x 1