Nikon D800 or Canon XXXXX

ndwgolf

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
neilsphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Seeing as I have made my mind up to get a FX camera next should I stick with Nikon or jump ship to Canon...............Just a thought but without any experience with Canon.....and I am sure there are 100s of threads on this subject

"I own a Ford, Chevy is coming out with a new model next year, should I buy that?" That's exactly what it boils down to. There's so little difference between Nikon and Canon in each of their respective ranges (Pro, "pro-sumer" and consumer/entry) that 99.9% of it boils down to personal preference. You really can't go wrong with either choice, but switching doesn't really make a lot of sense unless there's a reason you're unhappy with your current choice (Ergonomics being the only reasonable one I can think of). Do you have any full-frame compatible glass?

It all depends what you shoot, if you want F/F for sport Nikon, if you want it for studio Canon
I'd be inclined to say that Canon, with their 1D Mark IV and better autofocus speeds, are better at sport and Nikon better at studio ,with the D3X and the Nikon Creative Lighting System. But that's just my opinion.

It all depends what you shoot, if you want F/F for sport Nikon, if you want it for studio Canon
I'd be inclined to say that Canon, with their 1D Mark IV and better autofocus speeds, are better at sport and Nikon better at studio ,with the D3X and the Nikon Creative Lighting System. But that's just my opinion.

Huh????? Canon: marginally(debatable) faster one-shot AF acquisition, but erratic tracking abilities.

Nikon: better ability to follow action and make entire sequences in-focus. Canon's 1D Mark IV's 1.3x crop-sensor loses out at elevated ISO setting to the larger, full-frame Nikon sensors, making the Nikon 200-400 f/4 actually a VIABLE f/4 lens for sports action. Having three, or even four, additional usable High-ISO speeds on the Nikon D3s means that f/4 lenses like the small,light 300 f/4 AF-S are much more useful than in prior years. The Sports-Illustrated cover shot of Drew Brees holding up the Lombardi trophy was shot with a D3 and the 200-400 f/4 VR-G Nikkor zoom lens...because the elevated ISO settings are so,so,so much better than what "the other guys" have now. AF is decent these days on numerous cameras with a skilled operator behind the eyepiece--I want better elevated ISO capabilities for news,sports, and nature shooting.

I see the Canon 5D-series as being a good low-budget studio option; the Mark II has an almost 22 MP sensor, for only around $2400 or so, depending on availability and the phase of the moon. But who knows when the "Nikon D800" or the next Canon model will be announced, let alone shipping, and let alone when they will be actually AVAILABLE for purchase in real, viable quantities. The entire photo industry supply chain has been constricting over the last few years, and the tsunami has made things even worse. Discussing a new Nikon or Canon body at this time is putting the cart in front of the horse.

(So, who do you like in the Super Bowl in 2014??? Pittsburg? New Orleans?)

id say nikon d800, as i find the ergos on it makes more sense to me.

id say nikon d800, as i find the ergos on it makes more sense to me.

I take it you mean ergonomics when you write 'ergos'? There is a line of baby carriers by by Ergos Ltd. There is also an Ergos advertising company as well as ErgoS Engineering. What do these have to do with the current discussion?

The D800, if there is going to be a such named product, certainly has not been announced by Nikon, or anyone else, so a slightly difficult to describe its ergonomics, or any other feature for that matter.

As for the OP wanting advice to purchase either Nikon or Canon, Nikon users will likely advise Nikon while Canon users will likely pick Canon. He will have to make up his own mind on that. Also look for an old gypsy with a crystal ball for advice on the as yet unannounced next best thing.

Each camera line, be it Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, .... whatever, all have strong and weak performers within any set of quantifiable parameters. It's up to the buyer to research and decide. There are plenty of review sites and old threads discussing the relative merits of existing products.

Most reactions

Back