Nikon D90 or D200

alliek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a photography student using a D40 right now, there is nothing wrong with the D40, however within the next year I will "break out" on the scene and I need a more professional camera. I'm looking to do photo journalism/ portraiture so which camera is a better choice? The D90 or D200? Or are they somewhat the same idea?

(I'll be buying used, obviously cause I'm a student, I have found both cameras on kijiji for good deals with lenses and grips)

Please give me feedback. I'm still trying to figure out what is professional and what is not. ;)

For me, D90 every single time. Newer is almost always better and apart from shooting speed the D90 is a better camera. I like its far bigger brighter screen on the back and also the new info interface allowing you to check and change things very quickly. Biggest thing for me would be the iso - and this is exactly where newer is better, the iso performance is almost double that of the d200 before any degradation kicks in. I used to get fast clean images in lower light at 1600 +. The old d200 would struggle will before this. Its also smaller lighter and less conspicuous.

what are the lenses that each come with? (could be a fairly important deciding factor)

I am a photography student using a D40 right now, there is nothing wrong with the D40, however within the next year I will "break out" on the scene and I need a more professional camera. I'm looking to do photo journalism/ portraiture so which camera is a better choice? The D90 or D200? Or are they somewhat the same idea?

(I'll be buying used, obviously cause I'm a student, I have found both cameras on kijiji for good deals with lenses and grips)

Please give me feedback. I'm still trying to figure out what is professional and what is not. ;)
That's a tough decision. A used D90 will likely cost more than a used D200.

On the one hand the D90 has a CMOS image sensor and better ISO performance. For PJ and portraiture though, you can use flash and then ISO isn't all that critical.

But, it has a plastic body and few external controls so there are some settings changes you can't make real quick. The D90 only provides 1 type of RAW file, 12-bit compressed.

The D200 has a metal body and all the external controls Nikon's pro cameras have. The D200 offers both compressed and not compressed 12-bit RAW files.

But, it has a CCD image sensor and the ISO performance doesn't compare to the D90.

D90 =

The d90 has better image quality
The d90 has a better autofocus system
The d90 has video
The d90 has 1.5 stops better ISO performance
The d90 has better battery life

D200 =

The d200 is cheaper ($450-$500 vs. $700-800)
The d200 will meter with non-cpu lenses (old manual focus lenses won't typically meter with the d90)
The d200 is metal
The d200 is faster (5ps vs. 3fps)

The only significant advantage of the d200 is the price, you'll save $$ on the body and you'll also save $$ on lenses should you opt for AIS manual focus lenses to fill certain niches (macro and wide angle come to mind).

what are the lenses that each come with? (could be a fairly important deciding factor)

Since you'll be buying a d200 used, the lenses that come with it will depend on the seller.

However the d200 is compatible with all nikon SLR lenses, whereas the d90 will not meter with older non-cpu lenses.

I'd rather have the newer sensor capabilities of the D90.

D200 is going to be 3 generations old soon. I'd rather be able to take better pictures than have a metal body.

and yes the D90 does 4.5fps.

Don't worry about the 10 non-cpu lenses.

i love my d200, for all you haters out there raggin on it. Haha no, but seriously, its a great camera. Ive never used a d90, but i love the ease of use on my d200. I can take a shot, then easily and quickly adjust aperture, iso, and shutter speed. The 5 fps is nice, and the fact that it is a metal body, it feels solid in my hands. im not a huge fan of the plasticky feel of the d90 and lesser nikons. (not saying that the d90 IS lesser). Whats your price range? I got my d200 with an 18-135mm lens (rarely use it, but hey, it was a good starter lens), for 600 even.

the OP mentioned shes buying either of the two used and said she found a good deal on both, each with their own lenses. body arguments aside, what are the lenses each are being sold with?

but anyone else noticed how she hasnt come back to this topic since? lol

D200 is going to be 3 generations old soon. I'd rather be able to take better pictures than have a metal body.

3 generations old doesn't mean it will take worst pictures than a D7000, sure it will have limitations that may hinder certain creative pursuits but otherwise the pictures delivered can still be of the highest quality depending on skill and post-process treatment.

D80 image: 1x.com - Bo by Lifeware

as for the '10 non-cpu lenses' there's much more than that when looking outside of Nikon's older Ai/Ai-S lenses. i have a friend who owns two Zeiss lenses, 85 1.4 and 50 1.4. on a D60 and he can't meter with them but on mine he could and he actually found that to be an amazing feature to have and the next body he buys will now have to be able to meter with non-cpu lens after realizing there are bodies that can.

i have used both, d90 all the way.

the OP mentioned shes buying either of the two used and said she found a good deal on both, each with their own lenses. body arguments aside, what are the lenses each are being sold with?

but anyone else noticed how she hasnt come back to this topic since? lol

3 generations old doesn't mean it will take worst pictures than a D7000, sure it will have limitations that may hinder certain creative pursuits but otherwise the pictures delivered can still be of the highest quality depending on skill and post-process treatment.

D80 image: 1x.com - Bo by Lifeware

as for the '10 non-cpu lenses' there's much more than that when looking outside of Nikon's older Ai/Ai-S lenses. i have a friend who owns two Zeiss lenses, 85 1.4 and 50 1.4. on a D60 and he can't meter with them but on mine he could and he actually found that to be an amazing feature to have and the next body he buys will now have to be able to meter with non-cpu lens after realizing there are bodies that can.

that ziest 85 mm is over 1200$
I would invest that money on something that can at least meeter on the body i own.

Most reactions

Back