NIKON - Dark corners

nicolene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:confused: I recently came back from a two week Europe tour and gosh almost 3000 pics. Right, some are pretty awesome but some - ???? I just dont get it.. I found that some of the pics have dark blue or black corners at the edges and apart from me gathering it could be the hood not sure what caused this. I used only the 18 to 55 mm lens and maybe it zoomed out to much catching the edges of the hood. Must say, the hood is not that of Nikon. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and what caused this. I would also like to know if I could attach the wide angle lens (came with the kit) for all purpose use in other words for short distance as well? Gosh im so new to this and I still need all the help and advice I can get.

thanx a mil

Nici:blushing:

The odds are it was the hood. If you look at your pictures you will probably notice that the ones with the dark corners were shot wider. The wider add on lens is probably very poor quality if it came as a kit...

It could be the hood was not turned all the way on as well.

I think the hood that is included with the lens should be o.k. to use even at the widest focal length. Perhaps your after market hood is too narrow for the wide angle view. Try both again to evaluate each. Shoot something plain (a wall, for instance) at varying focal lengths so you can see when the vignetting occurs.

Using an aftermarket lens hood, most likely NOT designed for your particular lens. As mentioned the dark edges showing on the 'widest' images is a good indicator.

Did you stack filters? i.e. CPL + UV

Did you stack filters? i.e. CPL + UV

This is very possibly the issue, I have seen it time and again. Just a thought for the next time, examine your photos throughput a trip, load them to your PC iPad etc. this will give you time to sort any issues out. Hope you are able to perhaps crop out those areas...

Good Luck...

thanx for the feedback. No stacking was done other than adding a lens protector and the hood. I think the hood may be to small for the lens. Maybe not being a Nikon product didnt suit the lens properly. I think if I had not used the hood at all, would not of had this problem in the first place. I will try out some pics without the hood but still have the lens protector fitted and see what comes up.

Thanx for all the feedback received.
:D

I think the hood was the cause of the problem. It seems to be to small for the lens anyway. Didnt seem to fit on very well and going wide with the image made it worse.

Gosh im learning more and more with each shoot. Thanx all you guys for all the imput.

:hail:

Most reactions

Back