NIKON DISSAPOINTMENT (warning..LONG POST)

Simple.. because if I was at a photoshoot then my D200 failed...then what? I'm not whipping out a coolpix :lol:

Your right, weddings arn't for some photograhers it's hard work and a party at the same time.

Well, you have to admit, there are people that call themselves wedding photographers that actually would go into a job with one camera plus a coolpix.. obviously you aren't one of them. As I said, no offense intended, just can't tell the types of people you're dealing with on the web until a few exchanges like this have taken place. :hug::

As far as not doing weddings, I just can't stand weddings in general..

edit:.. now i actually see what you're saying.. heh, heh.. (d300 in shop, d200 only, no backup for work.. *duh*.. beers at work = not good for brain)

Last edited:
Well I havent had a problem with them myself. The most I have had to wait is 2 weeks. I would file a complaint with the Corporate HQ.
And soylent I have heard some pretty bad horror stories from Canon users as well. In both cases I think it is a matter of being lucky enough to get a good tech on you repair.

Try going to a Big Box retailer and purchasing one and than returning it after the job. Just a thought. Nikon WILL NOT send you a loaner unless you are NPS. Even than your name better be Annie Leibowitz or something.
I'm sorry, but IMHO telling party A to treat party C rotten just because party B treated party A rotten is just rotten.

I'd pursue it up the chain. We have confirmed they have used cams on hand as the tech went and got one.

I'm not an NPS but Nikon hooked me up with an SB24 years ago when I had to have mine repaired due to owner stupidity.

A lot I think has to do with if you send things in yourself or if you take it to a dealer to have sent in. A good dealer in your corner can help a lot.

LWW

Is it worth renting a D300 for $360 rather than buying a lesser Nikon for the same price/maybe a little more? Then you have a third string quarterback. They aren't very good, but every NFL team has one. As long as you have the good glass, it should take the same picture, no? :dunno:

EDIT: I'm not asking this to be a smarta$$, being new to this wonderful/frustrating endeavor, I'm just asking a simple question.

Last edited:
If Nikon couldn't verify the problem (it wouldn't not work while they had it) that would explain everything. No company is going to hand out new products or even rebuild/refurbish one on someone's say so. No matter how trustworthy that person might be. They will keep it for a while to try and see it fail.

I spent several long years doing warranty repair for IBM and couldn't count the number of times that I received a unit that worked fine on my desk. I sometimes received the same unit multiple times (intermittent problems are a curse!)

I did however have access to a phone and could call the owner whenever I had a question or problem which helped to smooth over problems just like this.

Buzz - Did you try placing the AF brackets in the center of the viewfinder? The AF Illuminator will only work with these brackets in the center. Try also shutting off any dynamic focus settings you have on.

Please let us know if that works for you. Good Luck! Marvinh

Try going to a Big Box retailer and purchasing one and than returning it after the job. Just a thought. Nikon WILL NOT send you a loaner unless you are NPS. Even than your name better be Annie Leibowitz or something.

Real classy! :thumbdown:

I'm sorry, but IMHO telling party A to treat party C rotten just because party B treated party A rotten is just rotten.

I'd pursue it up the chain. We have confirmed they have used cams on hand as the tech went and got one.

I'm not an NPS but Nikon hooked me up with an SB24 years ago when I had to have mine repaired due to owner stupidity.

A lot I think has to do with if you send things in yourself or if you take it to a dealer to have sent in. A good dealer in your corner can help a lot.

LWW

I agree, but alot of camera retailers say they'll only take it back when it's under a certain amount of exposures...somehwere in the 1K exposure ball park. So I couldn't do it anyway...

Buzz - Did you try placing the AF brackets in the center of the viewfinder? The AF Illuminator will only work with these brackets in the center. Try also shutting off any dynamic focus settings you have on.

Please let us know if that works for you. Good Luck! Marvinh

Thanks for the help but no dice. the D300 AF Illuminator works no matter where the AF point is in the AF bracket.

If Nikon couldn't verify the problem (it wouldn't not work while they had it) that would explain everything. No company is going to hand out new products or even rebuild/refurbish one on someone's say so. No matter how trustworthy that person might be. They will keep it for a while to try and see it fail.

I spent several long years doing warranty repair for IBM and couldn't count the number of times that I received a unit that worked fine on my desk. I sometimes received the same unit multiple times (intermittent problems are a curse!)

I did however have access to a phone and could call the owner whenever I had a question or problem which helped to smooth over problems just like this.

Hmm...this problem hasn't gone in and out for my D300...it just simply didn't work. It is an internal problem because the AF Illuminator doesn't light on different tested speedlights...somehow the dark sensor got fried not sending the signal to the AF illuminators wether it be a speedlight or the on camera AF light. I'm betting the problem was they didn't understand the problem or thought it was the AF system that wasn't working. I have yet to get any AF light to come out of my D300 or attached speedlight....but if it does all of the sudden start working for a little bit, there is still a big issue.

I did a web search and apparently you're not the only one with this issue on the d300

Defect D300 AF-assist illuminator light? - Photo.net Nikon Forum
D300 Complaint: AF-Assist: Nikon D300 - D100 Forum: Digital Photography Review
D300 AF assist illuminator wont work. - Photo.net Nikon Forum
AF assist help???: Nikon D300 - D100 Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thanks for the help but no dice. the D300 AF Illuminator works no matter where the AF point is in the AF bracket.

I looked at the manual.. it says something about centering the AF point in the troubleshooting section.. dunno..

..oh nikon's website does too
Nikon | AF-Assist Illuminator Usage

To use the illuminator, the camera must be in single-servo AF with an AF-Nikkor lens attached, and the center focus area must be selected or closest subject priority in effect.

actually.. that probably doesn't apply to the external flashes.. (my sb-600 seems to light up in all points while the built-in doesn't on my d200)

Last edited:
I was also going to ask what lens you were using. There are some listed int the above post on the Nikon site.

I did a web search and apparently you're not the only one with this issue on the d300

I looked at the manual.. it says something about centering the AF point in the troubleshooting section.. dunno..

To use the illuminator, the camera must be in single-servo AF with an AF-Nikkor lens attached, and the center focus area must be selected or closest subject priority in effect.

actually.. that probably doesn't apply to the external flashes.. (my sb-600 seems to light up in all points while the built-in doesn't on my d200)

There ya go, Buzz. I think the answer is to make sure you have the center focus area selected. I never heard of the AF Illuminator working in any other position than the center.

Marvinh

Yeah, it's funny when I first called the tech they couldn't get their auto focus light to come on either, so I had to trouble shoot their D300 for them over the phone to get theirs to work. The tech was on continous servo, which is most typically what issue is for people who are inexperienced...but I got theirs working at least. Yeah I only own Nikkor glass....usually the 17-55mm 2.8 is glued to my body.

I was also going to ask what lens you were using. There are some listed int the above post on the Nikon site.

Nikkor 17-55mm 2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back