Nikon F3 focusing screen and finder

Woodlark1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have recently acquired two unused F3 bodies. One of which had this 90 degree DW-4 finder and a focusing screen K neither of which I have seen before. I have found an identical finder on eBay but cannot find any more info. I am assuming that the screen is to pair with the finder for medical photography? Cannot find a screen anywhere on the web .
Any help or info from you Nikon expert's out there. I would be grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_073517.jpg
    IMG_20231003_073517.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231003_073501.jpg
    IMG_20231003_073501.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230911_193420.jpg
    IMG_20230911_193420.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
I have recently acquired two unused F3 bodies. One of which had this 90 degree DW-4 finder and a focusing screen K neither of which I have seen before. I have found an identical finder on eBay but cannot find any more info. I am assuming that the screen is to pair with the finder for medical photography? Cannot find a screen anywhere on the web .
Any help or info from you Nikon expert's out there. I would be grateful.
I'm not sure what you have. Nikon K screens have a horizontal split-image rangefinder with a narrow microprism surround. Your first image looks like an F3 screen frame, can't tell anything about the screen itself. Your second image looks like a screen for astrophotography and macrophotography over 1:1 magnification and doesn't look like a Nikon screen. The DW-4 is the 6X finder -with a rubber eyecup and eyepiece shutter. Your third image looks like a 45° finder without an eyecup or shutter. I have a K screen and a DW-4 finder for my F3, and they don't look like what you show.

I'm not sure what you have. Nikon K screens have a horizontal split-image rangefinder with a narrow microprism surround. Your first image looks like an F3 screen frame, can't tell anything about the screen itself. Your second image looks like a screen for astrophotography and macrophotography over 1:1 magnification and doesn't look like a Nikon screen. The DW-4 is the 6X finder -with a rubber eyecup and eyepiece shutter. Your third image looks like a 45° finder without an eyecup or shutter. I have a K screen and a DW-4 finder for my F3, and they don't look like what you show.
I've seen the K screens and waist level dw-4. This looks original and not like it has been modified. You would think there would be some info somewhere, but drawing a blank. Thanks for your reply.

Although this doesn't look like a Nikon fitment. It mirrors the shape of the focusing screen. Maybe it is some sort of modification after all.

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_194723.jpg
    IMG_20231003_194723.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 7
I'm just wondering why someone would tape a circle mask inside next to the shutter curtain. Scratch the film and damage the curtain at the same time? Odd for sure.

I'm just wondering why someone would tape a circle mask inside next to the shutter curtain. Scratch the film and damage the curtain at the same time? Odd for sure.
In the words of Toyah Willcox "it's a mystery"

First off, that isn't a 'K' screen, it looks to me like it isn't a OEM Nikon one although the Type M is close, yours is a bit different. It could have been swapped into a K frame to fit the F3 screen well.

The film rails on the F3 are very robust and deep which lift the film away from the shutter curtain. The mask is likely not touching the film as it is advanced. This body could have been used for photomicrography based on the mask.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back