Nikon F4 vs. F100 vs. F5

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by OldManJim, Jun 16, 2017.

1. OldManJim

OldManJim No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking to add to the Nikon herd in my office. I've looked at the F4 (like it's ability to use older Nikon lenses), F100 (which my son has and likes) and an F5 (pricier but reportedly excellent metering).

All are used and all have various scuffs and scrapes - which don't bother me since I would add them to a new camera anyway.

What I'm interested in is your opinions on reliability of each. In perusing the internet, there are various horror stories about failures on the F4 and F100. Not so much about the F5 - maybe because it's newer.

I realize that any used camera (and that's all I'm considering) could have issues, but I'm trying to gauge overall reliability between these models and I value the input of the members of this forum.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I would look for the F3. Great viewfinder, highly reliable. Won't shoot without batteries but just make sure you have a backup. I have been looking for one but at a reasonable price. I have a FM, and a F photomic, very happy with those. I use the FM more than anything, built like a tank, and a sharp AIS 50mm f1.8.

3. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I haven't heard the 'horror stories' about either the F100 or the F4 so you know more than I do. Currently debating between the F100 and the N80 (which is kinda like a poor man's F100 in some ways). Tho the build quality on the N80 is clearly less than the F100, it still does not appear (to me) to be reputed to be fragile or unreliable.

4. pendennis

pendennis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm using the F6 and an older FE2 for 35mm, and both are great cameras. I've had the opportunity to get another F3, but I can't justify the additional outlay. The FE2 uses all the older manual focus lenses, plus the newer "non-G" type AF's.

I've never heard of anything but usual maintenance, and certainly no great number of catastrophic failures with the F4. It's really a manual focus camera to which Nikon engineered an autofocus function. It's sturdy, but a bit bulky for my likes. They're available for fairly good prices. The F100 is a "pro-sumer" camera with a lot of modern features.

The only problem I have with the F3, is the weight. It's beefy, and if you add the motor drive, it becomes a real heavy camera. If you decide on the F3, however, buy the HP model with its "roomier" view finder.

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Most of the failures on F4s, 5s, etc are likely due to the fact that these were top-end professional cameras and were use long and hard. Out of all of them, my preference is for the F5 (because I have one) for it's newest "tech". That said, the F3 truly is a workhorse and hard to beat. These days, when we're all used to battery this and battery that, I don't see the power requirement being much of a problem.

6. OldManJim

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't mention it earlier, but I already have an F3 HP - love it. My eyesight is getting fuzzy (cataracts) so I'm looking for autofocus.

7. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well you could buy a F6 new....

• Like Like x 1
  8. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

The F5 is my choice. The F4 is heavy and clunky. The F1oo is a toy in comparison.

9. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Fred, we talking about the same F4 & F5???
    F4 body only weight - 38.4 oz
    F5 body only weight - 42.7 oz

Now the F4 can get up to a whopping 49.4 oz if you add the MB 23 battery pack.

Personally I would go for an F2 Photomic, but I already own a couple so I'm good.

10. OldManJim

Photos OK to edit
    Well, since I schlepped an RB67 around for a number of years, the weight concerns aren't great. Once you get over 2 lbs.....

I recently "retired" the RB (loaned it to my son) in favor of a Mamiya 645 pro tl that I got for $200.

And I'd be happy to by an F6 if I could fit one in my budget....

11. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

No kidding. I owned both at the same time and the F4 always seem heavier and clunkier. Perhaps it was all in my head. The F2 was probably the finest camera Nikon ever made. Pure mechanical excellence. I liked the F3 too. It was lighter and less clunky than any of them-------I think..... :)

12. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Are you serious about possibly getting an N80?
    I don't remember the differences any more but I have an N70 with a 28-70 f3.5 AF lens your more than welcome to if you are not looking for one of the tank nikons.

20170616_183436.jpg 20170616_183446.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017