Patrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kylesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone own one? What do you think?
Finally was able to hold one the other day at a local camera shop. Very light, almost felt "cheap". I know it's not a high priced lens but how does it compare?

Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G was the lens I was looking at.
So the "G" is just a "D" without the apeture ring?

Patrick said:

Not quite, in this particular case anyway.

The 70~300 AF-D lens has ED glass for improved performance - the "G" version does not.

Also, the "D" version has a metal lens mount, the "G" version has a plastic mount.

Mike

Patrick said:
Yes in general, but I've recently noticed that on average D lenses tend to use more metal on their cases whereas G lenses are all hard plastic. That's why it feels cheap. I'm not sure if this is true for all D and G lenses but I have 2 D lenses and 1 G lenses that fall under this category.

My G lense may look cheap but it doesn't really feel all that cheap to me even though it is all plastic. Of course, opinions may vary depending on who you ask. I also don't believe all G lenses are built the same either so it's best to try them out. The plastic does help to cut down on weight and I'm sure it helps to make the lense less expensive to build.

You don't have to be too concerned about deciding between a G or D unless you like the feel and look of one over the other, but what you should look for is the extra ED label which can be on both the G or D lenses.

Go to this site to learn more about Nikon labels. ED lenses reduce the chromatic aberration that can be a problem on telephoto lenses. Some people say they don't notice a difference between the two lensees but some people definitely do. All I can say is that I'm surprised at the clarity of my 28-200G ED lense. It may or may not be because of the ED technology but I'm sure it had something to do with it.

mikerfns said:
Also, the "D" version has a metal lens mount, the "G" version has a plastic mount.
You must have posted while I was typing. Thanks for pointing that out. I completely forgot about that. In general G lenses have more plastic parts or are all plastic compared to D lenses.

Also one more thing that's about all Nikon lenses. I've noticed that the ones made in Japan fit a lot more smoothly onto my body as compared to the ones made in China. I'm curious if any of you also noticed this? Not a huge issue...just curious.

Thanks for all the info. It's been a learning experience for sure.
I think I'll just stay with the "D" lens. Although I'll admit the price of the "G"s sure do look attractive.

Most reactions

Back