Nikon lens DX - FX

CNCO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am THINKING of upgrading from a D80 to a D700. I am wondering if my lens will work on a D700. I am sure the 70-200 will, not sure about the AF-50mm 1.8 or the 18-135(kit lens). I can sacrifice the 18-135 because eventually I want to get the 24-70 f 2.8. I am hoping the 50mm will work because I took some really nice shots(hockey game) with that lens.

A DX lens will work; however, it will "crop" to fit the sensor so you will lose some megapixels, but will use the center of the sensor. It is automatic and the body adjusts on it's own.

i figured that but i was hoping for a different answer. how will the 50mm work?

I too, am thinking of upgrading, but I am waiting to see what Nikon is planning to release first.

I may just get a used D700 and go from there. My DX lenes will go with the D90 to my daughter. I really wish Nikon would give us some info!

well i heard the d800 is going to be around 4k. thats too much for me, i need a few paying gigs to spend that kind of cash.

When a DX lens is used on a D700:
  • If Auto DX format crop is turned off (Custom Setting a6)
  • and FX format is selected for the Image Area (Shooting Menu) when a DX lens is mounted the entire DX image circle can be used to make images.
With many DX lenses the projected image circle will not illuminate the entire FX sensor, but the projected image circle will be larger than the 24x16 DX Auto crop and restriction to using only the middle 5.2 MP of the D700's image sensor.

well i heard the d800 is going to be around 4k. thats too much for me, i need a few paying gigs to spend that kind of cash.

OUCH!:gah:

I am THINKING of upgrading from a D80 to a D700. I am wondering if my lens will work on a D700. I am sure the 70-200 will, not sure about the AF-50mm 1.8 or the 18-135(kit lens). I can sacrifice the 18-135 because eventually I want to get the 24-70 f 2.8. I am hoping the 50mm will work because I took some really nice shots(hockey game) with that lens.

The 50mm is an FX lens. It will work fine; however, it will be a wider angle then before. This means you'll have to be a little closer to your subjects to get the same shot as before; which will narrow the dof and stretch the perspective somewhat.

That 24-70mm nikon is $$$. Cheaper options would be a sigma 24-70mm f2.8 or tamron 28-75mm f2.8. The nikon is better, but costs 4 times as much.

You'll love the d700, it's a HUGE step up from the d80.

I'm currently shooting sports that's the reason for the upgrade. The D700 is a back up for pros but a huge upgrade for me. I'd like a d3s but 5k is a lot to invest when you are starting off. I'd like to take quality shots so I can buy a 400 f2.8

I'm currently shooting sports that's the reason for the upgrade. The D700 is a back up for pros but a huge upgrade for me. I'd like a d3s but 5k is a lot to invest when you are starting off. I'd like to take quality shots so I can buy a 400 f2.8

Well the d700 performs almost identically to the d3s--the only performance difference is shooting speed; you might want to grip your D700 to allow you to shoot 8fps.

The 400 2.8 is a great lens for sports! I currently have a 300mm 2.8 AF-I, which is a lot cheaper; although the focus isn't quite as fast at the new afs lenses.

how does the d700 shoot at 4000 ISO or higher? my reason for that high is shooting hockey in a poor lit arena. id like to get a few alien bees but they arent allowed.

how does the d700 shoot at 4000 ISO or higher? my reason for that high is shooting hockey in a poor lit arena. id like to get a few alien bees but they arent allowed.

You can get very usable ISO 6400 images out of a D700. A bit better then iso 800 on your D80.

Here's a hockey photo taken at ISO 4000 with a D700: http://dunnephoto.ca/serendipity/uploads/Dunne_20101022_009.jpg

High-iso is what the D700 excels at, right now there isn't a camera out there that performs better at high-iso.

Last edited:
I took some photos at a small tango bar in BA. at 6400 and it was shocking how little noise was visable. Couldn't believe it , as i had expected just to manage something for a memory. Even then the exposure was a 1/10 at 2.8.

Most reactions

Back