Nikon Lens Filter Problems?

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last week I bought a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 MF pancake lens for $100.00. Several years ago Ken Rockwell gave this lens a hot review and had nothing but good things to say about it. I bought the lens with confidence and took it out for a test run on Saturday. I was very disappointed in the pictures. They were dull and lifeless. They weren't necessarily bad but they weren't good either. I was really bewildered and disappointed in this experience. Then yesterday I noticed it had a transparent clear Nikon filter screwed to the end. I unscrewed the filter and left it off. Tonight I went for a walk in the park. Wow! What a difference there is. The pictures are 75% sharper and they seem to come alive. I'm not having focusing or light problems. It is like a miracle. I have never had issues with a filter in the past. But this time maybe it caused problems. Attached is a picture of a brick wall. I am thinking the lens is performing now. Nikon D750 with the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 old pancake lens, aperture 5.6.
Thank you,

Lonnie

Attachments

• DSC_4276resized.JPG
    DSC_4276resized.JPG
    783.7 KB · Views: 34
What kind of filter? Could have been a blurring filter or just a cheap filter that the coating went sour on.

What kind of filter? Could have been a blurring filter or just a cheap filter that the coating went sour on.

Without looking I think you have a good idea of what might be the problem. I shoot with filters on all my lenses that I take out of the house. (maybe not inside or on a light stand, or the very wide lenses Etc.) Unless there's something fogged or it's some kind of soft focus filter or something is bad, there shouldn't be a noticeable difference from a UV or Sky or clear and no filter at all.

So what does the filter say on the ring? And yes, cheap old filter would fit into this as well.

Most reactions

Back