Nikon lens question

I have the D5000, I say get the D90, it will run all the old battle-ax lenses. If I am correctly informed!

I am not worried about the prime lens having autofocus capabilities. Autofocus is foreign to me so I don't use it anyway. I would be nice to play with on a zoom lens which I am assuming does not have capability issues.

I think I am going to get the 24mm prime as well and than I am set with prime lenses. The 24 and 35 seems to have alot good reviews and you certainty can't beat the prices.

The D3100 comes with the 18-55 so I will probably just use it for a while.
I am going to look at buying a zoom lens as a one time investment so I would rather wait and pay more one time than buy something inexpensive and have to sell and upgrade.

I don't see the Nikon 18-70 listed for sale new, is that an older lens? KEH is an interesting site.

Thanks.

The 18-70 is a older lens but it has a metal mount unlike the all plastic 18-55. The 18-70 will hold up to use better a little better in the long run. If you want to know the differences in Nikon lenses read this.
Pre AI, AI, AI-S, are all ancient manual focus lenses, AF and AF-D lenses are the old style screw type autofocus which require a internal focus motor in the camera's body like the D90, D7000 etc. AF-S and AF-I lenses have a internal silent wave motor (SWM) motor built inside that work with almost any Nikon camera made like the D40, D60 and D3100. These lenses are newer and generally more expensive. Here is a comprehensive list of what works with what. It also explains G and VR lenses. It seems intimidating at first but it's not so hard to figure out once you get the basics of what I just listed here.

Nikon Lens Compatibility

I have the D5000, I say get the D90, it will run all the old battle-ax lenses. If I am correctly informed!

Only the autofocus lenses, the manual focus lenses won't meter on the d90. Of course every human comes with a light meter installed in their head--you just have to learn to use it. ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back