Nikon (NEF) Files and Photoshop

TheProf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK So I just got a D70, works great!

But....
Im having a problem when I open a Raw(NEF) in PS(7) I can save it as a Tiff or a PSD. But I only have a limited number of options in PS I can use. Most importantly I cannot use Layers?

Also I do not have an option to save it out as a Jpeg?

Whats up with that!
anyone have this problem

Thanks in advance

Photoshop doesn't officially support NEF files from the D70 as of yet, but the Picture Project software plugin works pretty well for Photoshop CS. I have no problems using all functions of Photoshop and can save pictures as jpeg.

When you save your pictures as either TIFF or PSD, have you tried opening them again to see if that solves the problem? If that doesn't work you can always save your NEF files in Picture Project and then open them with PS. Just make sure to saving them at the highest quality possible because everytime you save it as a jpeg the quality degrades. That's true for all jpeg files.

If you are really concerned about quality loss then you can use Nikon's Capture software, but it's a try for 30 days and then buy. With Capture you are able to save your pictures as TIFF which is better because it's lossless compression. This means that the quality of your pictures won't degrade as with jpeg compression. Capture is actually like a striped down version of PS so you can use it if you can't get PS 7 to work. I like PS better myself but that a personal preference. You can also try updating your copy of PS 7 and see if that works.

Yes I have opened them again and still the same problem.
I have tried saving them in PP and opening them in PS but same results, can oly save as TIFF or PSD and no layers and limited filters?

I guess Ill try updating Photoshop. :x

Well, that's weird. Just to be clear...when I say save I meant using the "export as jpeg" option in the file menu and not the actual save command. Sorry about not making that clearer in the first place. I rarely go into the edit window in PP which has the save command(at least that's how it is for Mac). If you are exporting the NEF files as jpeg then it's weird that a jpeg file would also be causing this problem. Are you having the same problem when shooting with jpeg straight from the camera?

I just checked. Apparently Adobe recently release an update for CS with D70 RAW file support. http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

It doesn't look like there are any for PS 7 or older. According to Adobe's website integrated RAW file support is a new feature in Photoshop CS. I don't believe camera RAW file support was ever available in older versions, but I've never used RAW files until now though. You might be able to find some plugin though if you search the internet.

It shouldn't matter what the file is when you open it. Once it's in Photoshop you should be able to save it as anything PS supports (from my understanding). Some options might not be available depending on what mode you are in, etc. Are the files 16bit? Also double check your options. I don't recall if there is one, but you may be telling it to flatten laters before saving.

Thanks guys, ya I just figured it out they were at 16 bit duh!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back