Nikon Nikkor 85mm F/1.8 AF D, check my homework please.

If I have done my homework correctly, this lens will work on my D3100. However I will not have autofocus and no metering.

The no autofocus I can deal with but the no metering bothers me.

Is it worth the hassle with both "no's" if I can pick one up around 200 bucks? Or should I save up or keep looking for an AF-S instead?

Or did I not do my homework correctly at all?

Thanks.

After checking the manual for the D3100, I read it as being able to meter with AF-D lenses.
I have used plain AF lenses with my D5100, which has a similar metering and AF system, and they will meter just fine but won't AF.
http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/kie88335f7869dfuejdl=-cww2/D3100_EN.pdf

All af lenses will meter with the entry level dslr's. AF and af-d require in body af motors. Only the afs ( I've read af-I as well but I've never seen an afi lens) will af on the bodies without af motors.. If you have a d40(x), d3000,d3100, d3200, d5000, d5100, and want to utilize the af function you need a afs lens. AIS lenses will mount but you need to manually focus them and won't meter( it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out though.) AIS will meter on the d7000 and any of the higher model dslr's but not af. These are old manual focus lenses from the manual slr's.

just go with the 1.8G you will be glad you did. I dont understand how you feel the build quality is better on the D, i would feel much safer in light rain or dusty conditions with a G lens and rubber seal than most D lenses. Why give up autofocusing? There is a post on here for manual focusing with a macro lens, well thats a macro lens, you pretty much have to manual focus, i have a nikkor 105micro when i shoot macro using that, i use manual focusing 100% of the time. Shooting macro is diffrent than regular everyday photography, you can just move back and forth.

Why not to manual focus on D3100:
-its not made for manual focusing
-Tiny viewfinder
-No split screen, only aid is the range finder, with a moving subject your subjuect will go out of focus faster than you can focus
-Forget shooting wide open, DOF at 1.8 and 85 is REALLY small, trying to get something in focus with the viewfinder is gonna be an extreme challenge.
-The lens itself isnt made for manual focusing

Reasons to get the G lens:
-Sharper wide open, less aberations, these two alone should be a show stopped
-rounded aperature blades, better bokeh stopped down
-Focuses with ALL nikon bodies

i can see you getting the D lens for a camera with a built in motor to save some $$$ but for an entry level, just do yourself a favour and save the headache for something else.

If you still want a manual focus lens then go with a TRUE manual focus lens, it will be a pleasure to focus, and it will teach you even more about learing to read histograms and such.

Any opinions I gave, such as better build quality on the older one, was from others' point of views...not my own. I have not even touched either so I can't say. Kinda why I was asking on here for opinions. Sorry if it came across as my opinion or fact.

You put up some great points to consider, thanks for taking the time to post about it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back