Nikon or Canon.. ( not a VS topic )

Better question, how many Nikon lens's do you own?

If you own some very expensive ones or a very large collection it would be more reasonable for her to get the Nikon. Even though the Cannon is better.

But I guess it comes down to what she wants. If she wants a Cannon get her that Cannon!

You would be crazy not to take the 50D, it's the best camera - and most expensive - of the 3, not to mention the most current in technology.

Not to mention it's worth about half of the value of the ink he's about to trade. :thumbdown:

I think you guys are confused about tattoo's. It isn't necessarily the ink that is worth $1800, it is his time that he's going to have to put into the tattoo and his services that is expensive. A good tattoo, especially a whole sleeve, takes a little bit.

@OP: How much do you think the ink itself will cost?

Other than that it's like he is doing work for the camera..

Cannon 50d (or whatever camera) - cost of the ink = X
X / estimated hours to finish sleeve = Exactly what you're getting out of this.

That would give you a better idea of whether or not it's worth it. If you think you could make better money just tattooing someone, then you might be better off doing a sleeve and pocketing the money to buy a camera. From what I understand since I have a few friends who are tattoo artists... Sleeves AREN"T cheap and you might be better off just doing a legit sleeve for someone and buying the camera of choice off ebay.

Hope this helped :)

Last edited:
inTempus while I agree with you if we were talking about new equipment, Ebay has plenty for around $1k
I only buy either from reputable dealers (Adorama / B&H) or I will buy something I can see first hand before buying. I've been screwed too many times by eBay to give any serious consideration to what "deals" I might find there.

The OP might have to discount his services a little, but at $2k for a new 50D with a 28-135mm kit lens, if that's what this guy is offering for trade, he won't have to discount his services too much.

Let's pretend he wants to do the trade, the 50D is by far the best camera of the group and the most valuable. That's the point I believe.

He has agreed to trade one of his cameras for some tattoo work. I am giving him a full sleeve tattoo ( Value of about 1800$ ). He has 3 cameras which he said I could choose from...

A nikon d60.... Nikon D80... and Canon 50D

That sounds like a terrible deal. I don't know how many tattoos you do, but you're basically spending either 1800 for a D60 (retails for 550), D80 (Craigslists for $4-500), or a 50D (retails for about $1200)

i dunno.

I will probably have no more than 25-40$ out of pocket for the supplies.. Needles are about 10c each.. a full 1oz bottle of inks runs 7-10$ dollars... Its the time that costs the money.. But hes a good friend, and has gotten tattoos from me for free in the past or at cost. And its not like its hard labor. I will be sitting in a chair, listening to music, BSing with my friend, stabbing his arm millions of times lol :D

I think you guys are confused about tattoo's. It isn't necessarily the ink that is worth $1800, it is his time that he's going to have to put into the tattoo and his services that is expensive. A good tattoo, especially a whole sleeve, takes a little bit.
Actually, no. We're not confused. I think you're confused about terminology related to getting "inked". We completely understand he is referring to putting the tattoo on the guy's arm, and NOT just the "cost of the ink". For $1,800 worth of ink you could tat the entire US Navy.

lol, its pretty serious.. We have been together 5 years and we have a 3 year old son.. We own a home and etc. lol She just seems to think she wants a canon.. so I was just looking for pros / cons of each.. :D

Nikon would make more sense, since you already have lenses you could share, but if she wants a Canon, get her the Canon. If it makes her happy, you'll be happy. Plus you won't have to wait for her to finish gossiping/showing her friends every little child photo she just took/what ever, so you can get the lens she has mounted. :mrgreen:

Actually, no. We're not confused. I think you're confused about terminology related to getting "inked". We completely understand he is referring to putting the tattoo on the guy's arm, and NOT just the "cost of the ink". For $1,800 worth of ink you could tat the entire US Navy.

"Not to mention it's worth about half of the value of the ink he's about to trade."

Well you're are talking like the tattoo is worth considerable more than the camera.. You realize the ink isn't worth anywhere close to that much whatsoever..

So you must be referring to the time he's going to put into it.. Which you really don't know what that is worth, it varies completely.. some maybe charge 300, some 5000. Pretty much he puts the price on it himself, that's one of the perks of being a tattoo artist.

If he thinks the camera is worth his time, then that's his time.. he set his own price. **** he could say that since it's with his friend, and it's going to be a chill environment anyways.. that the charge would only be about the price of the camera. In which case it's perfectly fine and he's exchanging the service for the camera basically.

Since it's your friend, it's up to you if you want to help him out. But if you can make more in that amount of time doing paying customers then you'd be better off doing that. That's all there is to it.
But if you don't have that much work and it would take considerably longer that way to get the $ to buy a camera for her, then you're better off just doing this trade.

Last edited:
I only buy either from reputable dealers (Adorama / B&H) or I will buy something I can see first hand before buying. I've been screwed too many times by eBay to give any serious consideration to what "deals" I might find there.

The OP might have to discount his services a little, but at $2k for a new 50D with a 28-135mm kit lens, if that's what this guy is offering for trade, he won't have to discount his services too much.

Let's pretend he wants to do the trade, the 50D is by far the best camera of the group and the most valuable. That's the point I believe.

I guess. My point is no matter how much you only deal with "reputable dealers" the OP is dealing with a guy he knows that wants a tat. So we have to compare apples to apples and look at used prices, since that's what the potential deal is.

In my opinion, it the tattoo is really worth $1800-2k, take the money and buy a D90 or comparable Canon either new or refurbed and a couple decent lenses.

I guess. My point is no matter how much you only deal with "reputable dealers" the OP is dealing with a guy he knows that wants a tat. So we have to compare apples to apples and look at used prices, since that's what the potential deal is.

In my opinion, it the tattoo is really worth $1800-2k, take the money and buy a D90 or comparable Canon either new or refurbed and a couple decent lenses.

I don't think he's in a situation where it's either money or the camera. His friend is just giving a camera for it and he has a choice of cameras.

I say just go with what I said in the post above, it's really your call once you consider those factors.

Also, I almost forgot... You said you've given him free tattoos before? So he's a pretty close friend? In that case.. if you might in the future end up just giving him a bunch of free tattoos anyways, might as well get a camera out of it now :D

That's something else to consider.

I will say get the 50D for her. If she do not like it or want to sharing gears in the near future, sell the 50D and buy a used D80.

Just based on price I just got from Adorama used equipment store.

Canon 50D E+ condition $921
Nikon D80 E+ condition $499

So we are talking about $422 different here.

So we have to compare apples to apples and look at used prices, since that's what the potential deal is.

Really? I hate homework... :greenpbl:

It's the OP's labor/artwork, it has whatever value he attaches to it, it can be the camera he is currently considering, or cash, or any thing else he wants to barter for, his decision.

The cameras new value is based off MSRP, the "S" stands for "Suggested", so its what ever the OEM says. Used (and New) equipment is actually worth what ever the buyer is willing to pay, either it sells because the buyer will pay or it won't.

Basically, if the OP thinks its a good deal based on what he knows about the equipment, then he will be happy. I would suggest setting an agreed to limit on the tatoo work, or he might find his friend coming in for more free work on it, including retouches and touch-ups.

I will say get the 50D for her. If she do not like it or want to sharing gears in the near future, sell the 50D and buy a used D80.

Just based on price I just got from Adorama used equipment store.

Canon 50D E+ condition $921
Nikon D80 E+ condition $499

So we are talking about $422 different here.
That doesn't include a lens on the 50D.

Adorama does have used 50D kits (with a lens) for $1200 I see.

"Not to mention it's worth about half of the value of the ink he's about to trade."

Well you're are talking like the tattoo is worth considerable more than the camera.. You realize the ink isn't worth anywhere close to that much whatsoever..

Wow. Just wow.

Please listen carefully, I'll even type slowly so you can keep up... When he said $1800.00 for a sleeve tat in trade for a 50D, I knew he was referring to his time and not the cost of the ink. The term "ink" is slang for "a tattoo", just like "tat" is.

In other words, when I tell someone they've got nice "ink", they're usually pretty certain I'm referring to the shape/composition of the ink and the picture it represents, and not that the "ink" used for the tattoo is nice.

Which you really don't know what that is worth,
I DO know what it's worth! He told us what it's worth!

It's worth $1,800.00!!!

Yikes... :meh:

I can only take so much ignorance before my eyes start glazing over. I'm done responding to your confusion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back