Nikon or Canon.. ( not a VS topic )

The 50D is worth about one nice,large dragon tat.:lol:

It is the newest of the bodies though, but it uses Canon lenses.:meh:

Barter is tricky area in which to assign values to things. I'd really expect a lens to come with any of the three cameras for trade on something priced at $1,800 retail, since during the time you're working on his arm, you can't be working on anybody else.

Actually, no. We're not confused. I think you're confused about terminology related to getting "inked". We completely understand he is referring to putting the tattoo on the guy's arm, and NOT just the "cost of the ink". For $1,800 worth of ink you could tat the entire US Navy.

"Not to mention it's worth about half of the value of the ink he's about to trade."

Well you're are talking like the tattoo is worth considerable more than the camera.. You realize the ink isn't worth anywhere close to that much whatsoever..

Wow. Just wow.

Please listen carefully, I'll even type slowly so you can keep up... When he said $1800.00 for a sleeve tat in trade for a 50D, I knew he was referring to his time and not the cost of the ink. The term "ink" is slang for "a tattoo", just like "tat" is.

Which you really don't know what that is worth,
I DO know what it's worth! He told us what it's worth!

It's worth $1,800.00!!!

Yikes... :meh:

You're very selective when replying.

When I say you realize the ink isn't worth anywhere near that, I mean LITERALLY that you realize the ink isn't worth anywhere near that.

When he says $1800 whatever he was referring too obviously was his normal price for such a piece. Considering this is his friend and he's done tattoo's before for this guy, FOR FREE. Then that price changes. He obviously would not charge his friend full price. That changes the situation.

It's worth $1,800.00!!!

Yikes... :meh:
Same thing I said applies for this.

You're being very biased as to what you're reading and not considering all the things that this guy is telling us. You're obviously the one confused because you're completely ignoring important points that should be considered.

Look the guy is his friend, he's done tattoos on him before for free. This isn't some random joe that wasn't to barter. There is a good chance that he will do a tattoo in the future for free or at a friend discount, most likely on the sleeve that he obviously wants. This most definitely lowers this $1800 number that people are throwing around. Yeah that's what it's worth, but the fact that this is his friend and he is willing to give this guy tattoos for free, changes that. Now with this being considered, His friend wants to give him a camera in exchange (which is better than doing it for free, obviously.) he probably should take the chance to get the most expensive camera (the cannon).

If I was in your situation, I would do it. Unless of course it would be taking time from paying customers, in which case you have to consider the equation I posted earlier and consider if you would be losing money. If not, then do it.. get the 50d, if you don't want it or cannot afford a decent cannon lens then you just sell that and buy the Nikon and put the rest of the $ in your pocket or towards another Nikon lens.

Last edited:
Come on guys, let's have a constructive conversation.... Like why Nikon is better!

Come on guys, let's have a constructive conversation.... Like why Nikon is better!

Nikon is better than dragon ink? I'm down with that. (And for the confused, my use of the term "ink" refers to a tattoo done with ink, not the ink itself. :lol:)

I will say get the 50D for her. If she do not like it or want to sharing gears in the near future, sell the 50D and buy a used D80.

Just based on price I just got from Adorama used equipment store.

Canon 50D E+ condition $921
Nikon D80 E+ condition $499

So we are talking about $422 different here.
That doesn't include a lens on the 50D.

Adorama does have used 50D kits (with a lens) for $1200 I see.

:) haha ..

I was just compare the body price to let OP knows getting the Canon 50D is a better deals.

If all cameras are in good condition, I am sure he can get the Canon 50D, post it on craigslist for $700. And spend $500 for the D80 and $200 for a NICE dinner with his family.

Or, try to buy the D200 used from Keh plus have few dinners at McDonald.:lol:

Sheesh, people! Can we not have this conversation without breaking into all-out war?

The 50D is way ahead of either the D60 or D80, both in capabilities and age. That's not a matter of opinion, that's fact.

New 50D @ Amazon: $1000

Used D80 with 18-135 lens @ Amazon: $750

New D60 with 18-55 VR @ Amazon: $600

Bear in mind that Matt is only being offered camera bodies, no lenses... and used bodies, at that (I only posted with latter two prices with kit lenses because they are not available as body only). Take from that what you will for how much less the used bodies alone would be worth.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry for the misunderstanding guys.. He said he would give me a lens with any of the bodies I choose. He said it will be the " kit " lens that comes with the camera.

Sorry for the misunderstanding guys.. He said he would give me a lens with any of the bodies I choose. He said it will be the " kit " lens that comes with the camera.

I wouldn't do it for a kit lens, especially if you've done lots of favors for your friend before and you're "up on him" in that department (meaning he owes you a favor, not the other way around).

I'm guessing you're going to spend at least a solid couple of day's stuck to that guys arm if you're going to do anything serious.

If your normal rate is $100.00/hr would you be willing to trade 18 hours of work for the same (used) camera (and the somewhat cheesy kit lens) you could get for working only 8 or 10 hours?

I'd show him some numbers for new and used cameras, (with kit lenses,) show him you know a good lens from a bad (kit) lens, show him how much time you're going to be putting into inking his arm (especially if he's big), and ask him if he thinks it's a fair trade. Nicely, of course. Especially if he's big. :D

He said it will be the " kit " lens that comes with the camera.
Well, that clears things up quite a bit. What kit lens, exactly? 17-85? 18-200?

I wouldn't do it for a kit lens, especially if you've done lots of favors for your friend before and you're "up on him" in that department (meaning he owes you a favor, not the other way around).
Y'know, I'm glad you explained that, because it has the potential to be slightly misinterpreted :lol:

Especially if he's big.
You might want to elaborate on that one, too :lol:

/mind-in-the-gutter mode out

He said it will be the " kit " lens that comes with the camera.
Well, that clears things up quite a bit. What kit lens, exactly? 17-85? 18-200?

Y'know, I'm glad you explained that, because it has the potential to be slightly misinterpreted :lol:

Especially if he's big.
You might want to elaborate on that one, too :lol:

/mind-in-the-gutter mode out

LoL, that didn't take long. Seems like edodgeball around here some times. :lmao:

lol.. To me, I dont mind doing the tattoo... On him, I would only charge him around 300 for the full sleeve. So to me this is totally worth it. This was a fun thread though lol

I think it's worth it. Like he said, he will be sitting in a chair doing what he loves to do, BSing with his bud. And when he gets done, he will get his choice of 3 cameras. Would be a no brainer for me. Money isnt everything. I would ink up my friend for free. The camera would be a bonus.

Most reactions

Back