Actually, no. We're not confused. I think you're confused about terminology related to getting "inked". We completely understand he is referring to putting the tattoo on the guy's arm, and NOT just the "cost of the ink". For $1,800 worth of ink you could tat the entire US Navy.
"Not to mention it's worth about half of the value of the ink he's about to trade."
Well you're are talking like the tattoo is worth considerable more than the camera.. You realize the ink isn't worth anywhere close to that much whatsoever..
Wow. Just wow.
Please listen carefully, I'll even type slowly so you can keep up... When he said $1800.00 for a sleeve tat in trade for a 50D, I knew he was referring to his time and not the cost of the ink. The term "ink" is slang for "a tattoo", just like "tat" is.
Which you really don't know what that is worth,
I DO know what it's worth! He told us what it's worth!
It's worth $1,800.00!!!
Yikes... :meh:
You're very selective when replying.
When I say you realize the ink isn't worth anywhere near that, I mean LITERALLY that you realize the ink isn't worth anywhere near that.
When he says $1800 whatever he was referring too obviously was his normal price for such a piece. Considering this is his friend and he's done tattoo's before for this guy, FOR FREE. Then that price changes. He obviously would not charge his friend full price. That changes the situation.
It's worth $1,800.00!!!
Yikes... :meh:
Same thing I said applies for this.
You're being very biased as to what you're reading and not considering all the things that this guy is telling us. You're obviously the one confused because you're completely ignoring important points that should be considered.
Look the guy is his friend, he's done tattoos on him before for free. This isn't some random joe that wasn't to barter. There is a good chance that he will do a tattoo in the future for free or at a friend discount, most likely on the sleeve that he obviously wants. This most definitely lowers this $1800 number that people are throwing around. Yeah that's what it's worth, but the fact that this is his friend and he is willing to give this guy tattoos for free, changes that. Now with this being considered, His friend wants to give him a camera in exchange (which is better than doing it for free, obviously.) he probably should take the chance to get the most expensive camera (the cannon).
If I was in your situation, I would do it. Unless of course it would be taking time from paying customers, in which case you have to consider the equation I posted earlier and consider if you would be losing money. If not, then do it.. get the 50d, if you don't want it or cannot afford a decent cannon lens then you just sell that and buy the Nikon and put the rest of the $ in your pocket or towards another Nikon lens.