Nikon or Canon??

Status
Not open for further replies.

longjon75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im starting to save for a dslr camera and have been looking into what to go for im stuck between nikon or cannon and cant decide which do you use and which one is the best for beginners
thanks

We can all give you our opinions, but really they aren't worth diddly squat to you.
Do your research on the features of each and decide what you need, want, can live without... One SHOULD stand out to you. Then you need to go somewhere that carries both brands and play with them. Change settings on them, take a shot... see how they feel in your hands. One should work well for you, one should feel wrong. That's the bottom line.

I will say that I am NOT a fan of Nikons D3000 line at all. The D5100 is an awesome camera from nikon and the only drawback to me is the lack of the auto focus motor. In which case I'd bump to the D7000. OUTSTANDING camera.
Canon's T3 entry falls about the same place as the D3100 for me, but it at least does have the AF motor. The T2i and T3i have the same sensor. The T3i has the articulating screen and a few more options. Images from each would be the same. If you are going entry level you can save a few bucks with the T2i.
Depending on what you are planning down the road I'd go to the 60D if possible-it's about on par with Nikon's D7000.

You really can't go wrong either way. The thing to do is get them both into your hands and find out what feels most comfortable to you, especially as regards where the controls are placed and how natural their placement feels to you.

I use Canon because when I started buying really expensive glass, the consensus at that time was that Canon had the best lenses, and the widest range of glass available, and I wanted the ability to eventually buy and use the MP-E 65 and the 500mm L they offer. Today, aside from the MP-E 65, I don't think Canon offers anything that Nikon can't match or beat, and the best Nikon bodies today I think outshine the Canons, though that "best of class" title tends to go back and forth between them as they introduce new gear to top one another.

Bottom line again, you can't go wrong either way. Just pick them up, get a feel for them, and buy what feels right to you.

They are just about as equal as 2 brands can be. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I use Nikon but I would probably be just as happy with Canon and, you can stay with either brand if you end up going pro. So where does that leave you? Go to a big camera shop that handles both brands. Find a sales rep that knows what he/she is talking about and pick the one that suits YOUR needs.

In my opinion, I'd go for Nikon. I think they've made the right choice by using the Sony sensors. The sensors used in Canon is really outdated. I can't comment on anything on their body other than the sensors, so it will be your opinion. I also realise Nikon lenses are slightly better, except the professional line-ups, where they're pretty much the same. Not trying to say Canon lenses aren't good, but other than their best lenses, they seem to overprice their lens too much. A similar Sigma would cost a lot less, even though that they're only slightly inferior. Although Nikon lenses are also more expensive than Sigma, the gap between their performance is larger compared to Canon.

Anyway, I wish you luck in choosing which brand you chose, and don't regret. :) And a reminder, the Sony sensors used in Nikons are a lot better than Canon (until they come out with something else).

I wil say this, I had a limite budget. I saved up for one year and got a Canon T2i and I love, I have no regrets. When I got it I had the money for a 7D with a kit lens. In some ways I wish I had bought it but instead of just getting that I got a t2i with a ton of a accessories and glass. I have used the Nikon D3100 and I was not fan. As said before the D5100 and D7000 are great but if you have the money I would go for the T2i or the 60D don't get the T3i go for the 60D its much better for photography. :D

In all honesty it doesn't matter AT ALL which brand you go for, your creativity comes first and than you'll learn the techniques with whichever camera you have.

People seem to not like the Nikon D3100, which I own. I own the camera and I have no regrets in buying it. It's not a pro DSLR but you can use it like a pro. The settings and the weight of the camera is awesome and it feels great in your hands.

Don't stress about the camera too much.

Brand choice is mostly about ergonomics. The best thing you can do is play with a bunch of bodies from each brand, play with a bunch of lenses from each brand, and then choose based on which one feels best and intuitive to you. They're so similar in performance that your comfort is way way more important.

The entry level bodies from each brand leave a lot to be desired however. If you can save up for something in the 60D / D7000 range, you'll be a lot better off long term. All the bodies below this have cut a lot of corners to make their price points, and to me the tradeoffs aren't worth it.

Anyway, I wish you luck in choosing which brand you chose, and don't regret. :) And a reminder, the Sony sensors used in Nikons are a lot better than Canon (until they come out with something else).

Not trying to start a Nikon Canon war, but are you serious? I don't think you can judge a sensor by its age, but instead by its performance. Canon makes beautiful sensors that in my opinion produce better skin tones than any Nikon sensor. I'll give Nikon the upperhand in the autofocus dept. but that's about it.

Not trying to start a Nikon Canon war, but are you serious? I don't think you can judge a sensor by its age, but instead by its performance. Canon makes beautiful sensors that in my opinion produce better skin tones than any Nikon sensor. I'll give Nikon the upperhand in the autofocus dept. but that's about it.

For a time Nikon's dynamic range was ahead of Canon.. 60D vs. D7000, D3s vs. 1Ds. Ahead by like 1/2 or 2/3 of a stop, but they did have an edge. Now with the release of the 1Dx it seems they might be even again. Even autofocus on the 1Dx looks impressive. My point is, unless you have a very specific requirement for very high performance in a certain setting, (and 1/2 stop of range, or 2% more autofocus hits, or whatever makes a difference), you almost can't tell the brands apart as far as final output quality.

Design approach and architecture are night and day however...

I've had both brands, but I'm not good enough take either to their limits. I ended up with Canon, mostly because I buy and sell camera stuff on craigslist quite a bit, and it seems like there is a lot more Canon stuff out there. That makes it easier to buy and sell.

makemyday.jpg

Asked and answered a million times. Try the search function.

Not really, it is just really a matter of reproduction, what matter most is dynamic range and high ISO performance. Colors can be tweaked post.

Go to best buy and play around with both see which one feels better to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back