Nikon P1000 , problems with image quality or shaking ?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by taipei101, Mar 19, 2019.

1. taipei101

taipei101 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Good morning , Why this drastic difference in quality ? I have a Nikon P1000 , I took pics of the Cheetah with the factory settings and came out good , Cardinal8.jpg Cheetah8.jpg later I might have customized some settings in the menu. So last week I took pics of this cardinal bird and all the pics were so poor , was VR off ? Was it misfiring? I was leaning on a solid fence ,no wind ,very steady. The light conditions were better than the cheetah (cloudy ,hand held without leaning on anything )what settings could have been wrong? Is the camera suddenly defective ?
    Thanks for reading

2. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    VR doesn't like when the camera is held rock-steady. When you mount your camera to a tripod, for instance, you're supposed to switch off the VR. Perhaps your steady hold on the fence was just too steady, and the VR was trying to make "adjustments" which weren't actually needed.

Perform a simple test to verify.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. taipei101

taipei101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Designer , I suspected that ,last night I was shooting satellites with the tripod at 250th sec. and they all came out shaken , I'll turn it off tonight for the supermoon to test. (Wheather permitting )

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    VR is best when shutter speeds are slow...using VR at 1/500 or faster, or when the camera is "stable", can lead to blurring as the VR group/elements create what some call a "feedback loop"...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. taipei101

taipei101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you Derrel , I'm learning the hard way , this is my first Nikon since film .
    I shot the Cheetah with the camera high above my head to avoid the Cheetah fence at the Philadelphia Zoo , it wasn't a high shutter speed as you mentioned ,so the VR worked well.
    With the Cardinal the light was perfect but VR ruined everything because of the high shutter speed ,I was so disappointed as the cardinal was posing for me 2-3 minutes , did you enlarge the cardinal photo to see the kind o mini shake that was happening? I can see it .
    Don't forget to shoot the supermoon tonight ,I hope you get a clear sky for that.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I got a 70-200/2.8 VR in 2003 or 2004...I ruined a LOT of pictures that first summer by leaving VR ON all of the time..many of my outdoor, bright-light shots had subtle, weird blurring..but my slow-speed shots were fine...it was maddening!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  8. taipei101

taipei101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lucky you ,that's a fancy lens you got.
    How long did it take you to find out VR was the problem ?

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    LONGER THAN I am wiling to admit here..

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. taipei101

taipei101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LOL

• Like Like x 1
  11. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    OK, you have a bridge camera. You may have entered into the digital zoom range. You can usually tell in the view finder because it giggles or shakes in the viewfinder, you can't keep it steady. In these moments, it's best to have a tripod and a corded remote release. Typically, those type of cameras will be good hand held up to about 300mm, it is marked on the lens barrel as you extend the zoom out. You may get lucky occasionally but the odds are not good. You should practice on a static object to see the limitations presented when you enter into a digital zoom range. This will advise you on future image making. It's a very capable image maker but it has it's limits. A decent tripod and remote release will really make this camera a better tool for long range work. Turn the VR off when mounted on a tripod.

12. taipei101

taipei101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks jcdeboever , Yes I'm realizing the difficulties of long lenses ,even on a tripod , I'm gonna get a 3 way geared tripod head for smooth moving , and I already have the remote control which came with the Adorama kit but I haven't had time to set it up and learn it . I also got the App but my phone has some serious bluetooth malfunction that I haven't figured out yet .

To tell you the truth I couldn't see any shaking in the viewfinder with the cardinal, it seemed normal . but I definitely learned from you guys to turn off the VR for tripod use and for high shutter speed .
    I'm so disappointed about the supermoon going on right now, it's so cloudy. I'm near the Washington bridge , I hope you are in a clear sky area right now.
    good night

• Like Like x 1