Nikon vs Cannon

LadybearHilde

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a new digital camera that will give me the quality and feel of a regular 35mm camera. I'm looking at the following two at the moment. I'm hoping for some feedback from people who own these to let me know what they think of them. How do they handle .... ease of switching from color to b & w, lens availability and opinions on quality of each brand. Thanks in advance for your responses! :)

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0MG SLR 18X55 kit

Nikon 6.1MPSLR Digital Camera - D50 outfit
*** noticed there is the D70 outfit as well ***

I would recommend looking up all the information on both, comparing, deciding what you need and what isn't necessary etc. Both cameras are excellent from what I have heard (I personally have the 350D and love it), though I do believe the Nikon kit lenses are better than Canon's kit lenses.

Can't answer for the Nikon, but with Canon, I love the feel of it, though I do prefer the XT with a battery grip, otherwise it feels slightly too small. For the switching from colour to black and white, I shoot in RAW colour, and then convert to black and white in photoshop.

The image quality on both are excellent.

The biggest difference to you will be the fit & feel. Go to a store and handle both. As mentioned, the XT is a bit small so a battery grip is a popular accessory.

Switching to B&W should be done with software so the camera is irrelevant. The lens selection for either cameras is excellent. Canon & Nikon make some of the very best optics available for this size of camera.

Other companies such as Sigma, Tamron & Tokina make lenses for both...so your options are wide open.

You can compare both cameras head-to-head at www.dpreview.com

I've held both and felt that the Canon was a more comfortable fit as well as the menu being more intuitive. But I wanted some independent input as well :)

They're both great. See if any friends have a particular manufacturer, and then get that one - because that way you'll have someone you can ask for advice should the need ever arise.

Check out March 2006 Popular Photography and Imaging magazine, they compared the Nikon D50, Canon Rebel XT, Minolta 5D, Olympus E500 and Pentax DS2. Overall winner is the Canon Rebel XT.

i feel the d50 has a better interface than the 350d, theoptions etc below the viewing screen and that huge rolling knob thingy on top? d50 layout is the best but you cant complain about having either cameras! its a flip of the coin, both are amazing cameras

Leo said:
Check out March 2006 Popular Photography and Imaging magazine, they compared the Nikon D50, Canon Rebel XT, Minolta 5D, Olympus E500 and Pentax DS2. Overall winner is the Canon Rebel XT.

I read that, and the D50 placed last in terms of menu control and ease of use.

I just spent the last few weeks comparing the XT with the D50 and the D70s and for me the D70s won solely on the feel of the camera in my hands. I was told time and again that you will not go wrong with any of the three.

You said that the XT felt best to you so maybe that is the way for you to go.

If you want to be as neurotic as I was through this whole process then you may want to spend some time with the "side by side" comparisons over at www.dpreview.com I was there many times a day and at one time or another was *convinced* the XT, D50 and the D70 were the camera for me.. all of them had strengths but when I finally went to the store and spent time with each in my hand the D70s was "the one".

Enjoy the new camera!

Thanks so much for all the input :) I'll have to go look at a D70 and see how it feels (there wasn't one in the store) I agree about the D50's menu... it wasn't as easy as the Canon. It's getting down to the wire on choices, I'll post my pick when I make it

its all opinion i have and love a d50 the menu is a little confusing, and i wish i had a d70, but i do very demanding stuf wiht my camera; you decide nikon people wil say nikon canon will say canon

kemplefan said:
nikon people wil say nikon canon will say canon

And people like me that have one of each will tell you to try them both out. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back