Nikon vs. Canon: Opinions Please

Somebody post a picture of a peaceful white flag, but use the better brand or the colour may be crap

Somebody post a picture of a peaceful white flag, but use the better brand or the colour may be crap
Most funny post of the day! :) Anyway, wrong brand and the pic will be awfully noisy even at ISO 100!

This is (also) to say that the differences I mentioned in my previous post are really small and a smart use of postproduction, besides of course a thorough knowledge of your camera, will give you great colors, great ISO performance and great bird shots with either brand.

The analog image sensors in digital cameras can only record luminosity. That means they can't record color, and instead record every scene as a grayscale image.
Image color is inferred by interpolating the recorded luminosity relative to adjacent pixels and the Bayer Array that sits in front of the image sensor of most digital cameras with an interpolation algorithm.

I purchased a Nikon D3000 last year and loved it. However, recently, I have been using a friends Canon EOS 7D and have fallen in love yet again. I am planning to purchase a new DSLR, but would like other opinions on Nikon vs. Canon. I would like to have a full frame, but that is out of my budget. However, I am thinking a Canon EOS 7D or comparable Nikon would right down my alley. What do you think? :thumbdown: or :thumbup:

Try a D300s, you'll be just as blown away as when you tried that 7D.

What I'm saying is, of course your going to be blown away when you try out any camera that is that much better than the D3000.

You really can't compare one or the other. Comparable camera vs comparable camera... they are about the same. It really comes down to personal preferences.

However,

For 2012, reports from JD Power & Associates show that the Market share is preferred Canon about 10% over Nikon. BUT... Owner satisfaction/reliability goes to Pentax, with Nikon coming in second. Canon trailing in third.

So, if you are looking for the answer by power in numbers... then you might want to consider the Canon because it's more popular and more people are buying them. However, according to the numbers, if you want a camera that will last and satisfy you... get a Nikon.

LOL, I can't wait to see the replies to this one :popcorn:

You really can't compare one or the other. Comparable camera vs comparable camera... they are about the same. It really comes down to personal preferences.

However,

For 2012, reports from JD Power & Associates show that the Market share is preferred Canon about 10% over Nikon. BUT... Owner satisfaction/reliability goes to Pentax, with Nikon coming in second. Canon trailing in third.

So, if you are looking for the answer by power in numbers... then you might want to consider the Canon because it's more popular and more people are buying them. However, according to the numbers, if you want a camera that will last and satisfy you... get a Nikon.

LOL, I can't wait to see the replies to this one :popcorn:

Canon spends a lot more on advertising.. especially to the beginner market, hence the popularity! (Or so I gather from a little reading I have done!)

Horse Feathers. Canon and Nikon have both been advertising extensively for years and years. I have a couple of beautiful vintage F2 ads framed and hung in my den.

How are Canon lenses higher quality?

They have that pretty red ring on the good ones!!! And they have the letter "L" in their model nomenclature. I mean, if that doesn't make them higher-quality, then, sheesh...what more proof could a guy need??? Plus Canon lenses have been on EVERY single manned NASA space flight since the first mission....Oh...wait, that's actually Nikon lenses that have been on every single manned NASA space mission...but, whatever, it doesn't matter...this is the interwebz...

For years (2001-2007), NASA was using Kodak DSC 760 cameras, which are Nikon F5 film camera bodies outfitted with Kodak 6.3 megapixel CCD sensors. Nikon's press release misleads people to think they just started using digital photography last year, which is untrue.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS Cameras

Carry your Canon d-slr camera in a bag, and have the AF STOP working! Put your lens cap back on, and have the AF STOP working! Wonderful features designed by Canon, found in their brand-new 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens released this summer! Sweeeeeeet!

"Canon--innovating in new ways to make equipment screw-ups more fun and even more unpredictable than our Err99 mess!"

Op stated "However, I am thinking a Canon EOS 7D or comparable Nikon would right down my alley. What do you think?"

Then would go D7000 as a close to a tie in comparison. But all that is for naught. If OP continues to make uniformed biased conclusions. In her statement "It will probably end up being the Canon since the lenses are a higher quality IMO." based on her extensive use of nikon and canon lenses? Or are you comparing the kit lens you got with your friends better glass or canon's higher tier more expensive ones?

I ask because I don't see all that much difference between them. Canon has some that Nikon doesn't. And the other way around with Nikon lenses that canon doesn't have. Both produce lesser quality kit lenses. And both produce outstanding pro type lenses.

Sorry don't get or agree with your statement.
But do always enjoy the Canon vs. Nikon threads of Hilarity. As long as I have enough Popcorn :popcorn:

Most reactions

Back