Nikon vs. Canon: Opinions Please

"Canon--innovating in new ways to make equipment screw-ups more fun and even more unpredictable than our Err99 mess!"
I love my Canons, but ain't that the truth!
That one rocks, Derrel!

Yeah I know what you mean. Cause this guy comes cheap huh?
Ashton Kutcher Nikon TV Commercial ft. Kyle Koromaldi - "Malibu" - YouTube

I didn't say that Nikon wasn't fighting back.. but they have ground to make up, because they have not been targeting that market hard for a long time. :)
I thought the Ashton Kutcher commercials made leaps and bounds toward making up some MAJOR ground cover there. Those were really bottom of the barrel!
Now Canon's 60D infomercial? There is some class in it.
Full version CANON 60D Training Video - YouTube
Minute Man version Canon EOS 60D - Sapa - YouTube

You would love your Canons, after all, you're Canon Fan Girl Extraordinaire.

Derrel, how does it matter if Nikon's have been on space missions and Canons haven't? If I am goin' down to the store to pick my new body/lens, 0% of my purchasing decision will be affected by the fact that NASA uses nikon and not Canon.

Just because NASA uses Nikon it doesn't mean theirs are better. What that means is that at some point in time, Nikon's PR was better and gave NASA a better deal than Canon. Has nothing to do with the quality of their gear. Of course NASA guys are now saying "we shoot nikon because its the best" because part of the agreement was probably something about special deal on Nikon gear but NASA has to say "Nikon is the best" Obvious.

In any case, I love Nikon gear and I am not saying it's bad in any way, but bringing up arguments that "Nikon is better because NASA have used them on every space flight" is silly imo.

"Canon--innovating in new ways to make equipment screw-ups more fun and even more unpredictable than our Err99 mess!"
I love my Canons, but ain't that the truth!
That one rocks, Derrel!

I have on MANY occasions, had one of my two Canon bodies freeze up and FAIL TO SHOOT. One Err99 lock-out cost me an absolutely once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity, and I mean that literally: it was the ONLY time I have EVER had that kind of shot opp, and the #&%%damned Canon was Err99'd UP!@ DOAH!!!!!!!!

I absolutely loathe the electronic diaphragm actuation system of the Canon EOS system...other camera brands have LONG used simple,reliable mechanical interfaces...Canon EOS seems to suffer from a LOT of incompatibilities with third-party lenses. Err99,Err99,Err99...DOAH! I have never once had a Nikon digital SLR fail to fire because of some stupid lack of solid contact between the lens and the body...not ONE TIME...but with my Canons, I have lost a lifetime photo opp, plus had many just regular scenarios 'effed up due to Err99 lock-downs.

As for sovietdoc...Nikon got onto the NASA missions because back in the 1960's, and early 1970's, Nikon had a huge lead in PROFESSIONAL, 35mm system cameras and all Canon had was a joke line of consumer bodies. For the first 10 years of Canon production, the Canon company had their lenses made for them--under contract BY NIKON!!!!!! NASA has used Nikon gear on every single manned mission since the first...that's just an indication that the gear is reliable. Nikon cameras and lenses don't "eff up" and Err99 out...on a multi-million-dollar-an-hour mission, NASA KNOWS it can rely on Nikon equipment. Based on over four decades' worth of real-world use in space. Meanwhile, I went to the beach with a Canon d-slr earlier this summer, and the G-D Canon Err99'd out ALL FRICKING DAY LONG, and then at the end of the day, when I got to the most-scenic spot on the entire west coast, I reached for my iPhone 4 to get the shot when my Godd#m3ed Canon d-slr was locked up for the day and would NOT SHOOT with the lens it had on there... I pulled the battery multiple times...still...it would NOT clear the Err99 lock-down...

Thank God for an iPhone backup to a $1599 Canon camera...

zOMG--I JUST posted this, and LOOK what popped up on TPF: A Canon camera that will NOT WORK with a brand-new, third party, $2,499 Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS lens!!!
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-f2-8-apo-ex-dg-os-hsm-canon-550d-camera.html

Last edited:
As for sovietdoc...Nikon got onto the NASA missions because back in the 1960's, and early 1970's Nikon had a huge lead in PROFESSIONAL, 35mm system cameras and all Canon had was a joke line of consumer bodies. For the first 10 years of Canon production, the Canon company had their lenses made for them--BY NIKON!!!!!! NASA has used Nikon gear on every single manned mission since the first...that's just an indication that the gear is reliable. Nikon camewras and lenses don't "eff up" and Err99 out...on a multi-million-dollar-an-hour mission, NASA KNOWS it can rely on Nikon equipment. Based on over four decades' worth of real-world use in space. meanwhile, I went to the beach with a Canon earlkier this summer, and the G-D thing Err99'd out ALL FRICKING DAY LONG, and when I got to the most-scenic spot on the entire west coast, i reached for my iPhone 4 to get the shot when my Godd#m3ed Canon d-slr was locked up for the day and would NOT SHOOT with the lens it had on there...

See, that's a valid argument for why NASA started using Canons, but now, when someone goes to a store to pick up a DSLR they're not gonna care about that.

Considering the amounts of ERR99 you're getting one, would think it's a user error ;) Essentially you're saying that Iphone4 is a better camera than Canon. lol
Maybe the Canon body you have is bad or now it has been kinda broken after all these years of use/abuse.

Sounds like you need a 1D X and some better lenses like 70-200 II to see if you get that ERROR 99 again. Although I believe that because you like Nikons so much, the Canon camera refuses to work for you because as you touch Canon equipment, it already knows that you are incompatible with it.

I haven't been shooting for 40-60 years so I am not the best person to make judgements, but Iam sure there are a lot of old canon photographers who have been shooting for many decades and they never had problems with Canon equip.

Now, obviously everyone knows that Canon produces in a lot higher numbers. A LOT higher capacity than Nikon. One could argue then, that Canon's stuff is less quality because it's produced more massively. Is it true? No.
For example a 1987 Lamborghini was produced in a lot lower numbers than 1987 BMW, but the BMW was a LOT more reliable than the Lambo. Same goes for Ferrari, same goes for Maserati, same goes for the lot.

So production in lower numbers doesn't necessary mean higher quality.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-f2-8-apo-ex-dg-os-hsm-canon-550d-camera.html

Canon's 25+ year-old EOS electronic contact protocol is infamous for failures... Err99 quite often. And Err99 is just ONE of MULTIPLE Canon error message codes. Their system is a lot like...Windows...only without the bug fixes...

EOS...Extremely Old Sh!+, right??? 1980's engineering concepts...

Sounds like someone is mad for not being ready to take a once-in-a-lifetime shot with their Canon and blaming error 99.

okay okay, I'll stop trolling now :)

I don't get the poking a stick at Derrel sovietdoc! Can't you accept the facts of the shortcomings and documented failures of the infamous Err99? on some canon systems? Or is there some kind of need to blame the users in defense of an obvious shortcoming on canon's part? Whether it's a design flaw,software bug or an QA issue. It is well known!

Or Like the fact that older Canon film cameras and newer digital are apples and oranges over your 40-60 years eperience with canon.
Like the other fiasco of changing the lens mount altogether in 1987 and pissed off a lot of canon users in the process?

Nikon or Canon both have made mistakes and have their share of equipment shortcomings. And I don't find the need to always blame the user.

Some of the most common Err99 myths are listed below. Strictly speaking, they are not myths; almost every one is true. The myth part comes from thinking that any one of them is actually the cause of Err99. So:

• Err99 results from an electronic communication problem between the lens and the camera.
  • Err99 results from using third-party (i.e. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) lenses.
  • Err99 means that electronic circuitry in the lens has failed.
  • Err99 means that electronic circuitry in the camera has failed.
  • Err99 results from using third party batteries.
  • Err99 is a firmware issue, and can be fixed by upgrading to the latest firmware.
  • Err99 started with Canon XT and 20D cameras.

From the Canon’s Error 99: the Man, the Myth article. And don't see User Error anywhere in that.

A SIX-PAGE article written by Lensrentals.com owner Roger Cicala. Yeah...a SIX-PAGE article dealing with Canon Err99 (and other error codes too!).

The Err99 issue is a sometimes significant Canon shortcoming. It's a VERY real problem with some Canons. BOTH of my Canon d-slrs have suffered this problem,multiple times. It is in *my opinion*, the single weakest area of my Canon gear--failure to shoot RELIABLY! And up to 20-MINUTE reboot times in cases of "bad" Err 99 lockouts, like the one I had earlier this summer, at the end of a DAY filled with Err99 lock-outs!

"FML"--I decided to shoot my Canon today.!"

Canon fanboys who love to deny the issue are really helping others, aren't they!

One can often tell a fanboy--he will often deny the existence of the problem, and try and try to villify whoever dares mention the problems with "his pet system". I have an eight-lens, two body Canon d-slr system. And a Nikon system.

LensRentals.com - Canon’s Error 99: the Man, the Myth

I LOVE how some of these discussions morph into total insanity.

Canon's EOS system DOES have one realllllllllly NICE feature though: it easily adapts to lenses made by, like, seven other camera brands!!!! ALL with FULL infinity focus, and with manual, or semi-automatic light metering and exposure control--all with GLASS-FREE lens mount adapters.

For the person who likes to tinker around with older lenses, Canon EOS is totally sweet!!! I LOVE the way my Canons allow me to pick up CHEAP lenses and use them... old lenses are given new life on a digital EOS body!

Here is my .02 on this topic. I was always a Nikon guy, I liked the feel, the build quality, the looks, the menu settings everything about it. I am now shooting with a 7D because of the CPS benefits. I'll say this they are the same thing. Coke or Pepsi, Nike or Under Armour. It's a personal preference to be honest. If you gave me a D4 with a 400f2.8 or a 5D Mark III with a 24-105 to shoot sports I'd choose the Nikon. I would say what ever you have invested your money in stick with that brand and don't look back. I changed and it cost me $, but what's free these days.

Go to a camera store and take pics with the Nikon and Canon. Use the same level of cameras and same lense. Then import those photos to aperture or what ever program you use and go from there.

W.O.W.

I haven't checked back to this thread in a few and it got this crazy? Someone asked why I wanted a new camera. I want a professional grade DSLR with at least 18 megapixels and I just loved the Canon 7D. But, as was mentioned, I can't compare the Canon 7D to a Nikon D3000. I understand this. That is why I asked the question in the first place. I wanted to get everyone's input so that I could make a decision. I would really love to have a full frame, but alas that is not in my budget. I have been a Nikon user for years. so don't get me wrong. I don't think one is better than the other. One of my professors actually told me that Canon was better lens quality and so that was what I was going on.

So, like I said, wasn't trying to start a war. I just am trying to make an informed decision, and what better way than to ask? That is all. Not trying to cause chaos.

Nicole :mrgreen:

To be fair I would be very annoyed to pay a high premium for a sigma that didn't work, but is that not the third party lens manufacturers fault and not the camera maker?

6 of one half dozen of the other on that one. Canon makes their stuff compatible with their stuff, however they don't take in every third party piece of equipment and make sure their stuff is compatible with it. They really couldn't care less if that third party equipment works. They want you to buy Canon-mo' money! They don't share their proprietary information with the third parties. The third parties are backwards working that technology to make things for it. So there are things in there that they just don't know. If Canon makes a change that doesn't accommodate a third party's technology when it changes something? OH WELL! Sigma or tamron or Tokina have to scramble to fix it and take quite a bit of flack for it. It's a risk you run when you purchase 3rd party stuff. When they manufactured it-it matched up to the current Canon (or other) technology. When the name brand changes their technology they make sure their backward stuff works, but they aren't going out of their way to make sure anyone else's stuff works.

HOWEVER... as a user-yeah I'd be ticked if Canon went and made the new 5d3 not work with my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS. I do know you can have send stuff to be updated in programming, but...

Most reactions

Back