Nikon vs. Canon

oh i just LIVE off these threads!!

love it love it love it. may the debate continue!

let me kickstart it:

canons suck. nikons suck. wait no...

hasselblad sucks. mamiya sucks.....and zeiss and lieca too. or is it leica? bah who cares, they both suck.

none of the cameras mentioned so far have a video mode. what the crap, my point and shoot is better than those, it has one.

DeepSpring said:
It's like asking a redneck what's better, Dodge or Ford.

Either one will suit you fine pic the one that feels more comfortable

And the correct answer would be Chevy/GMC and most people who drive trucks aren't rednecks.

LWW

i was in a similar situation.. canon or nikon, i have a canon p&s and was happy with it.. but for my first dslr i ended up with the nikon d80, felt like the best in my hands out of the dlsrs in my price range

I love my Nikons because of the way they look and the way they feel in my callused, yet strong hands as I caringly caress their firm bodies. I while away my idle hours staring deep into their dark lenses and gently touching all the little buttons and wiggling their sensitive little selectors with my fingertips. Softly, I blow tiny specks of dust from their sweet faces during the most romantic sunset and upon the golden sunrise... My eyelash brushes the view finder,... ever so slowly, delibrately and carefully I twist the focus... then... click!!!!

Would you look at that...

I think they love me...

.. Gottago....

(Cool, 500th post!)

abraxas said:
I love my Nikons because of the way they look and the way they feel in my callused, yet strong hands as I caringly caress their firm bodies. I while away my idle hours staring deep into their dark lenses and gently touching all the little buttons and wiggling their sensitive little selectors with my fingertips. Softly, I blow tiny specks of dust from their sweet faces during the most romantic sunset and upon the golden sunrise... My eyelash brushes the view finder,... ever so slowly, delibrately and carefully I twist the focus... then... click!!!!

:shock:

mental note: stay away from nikonians, they're all on ecstasy.

These threads really amuse me...

First of all... either brand WILL suit you for your needs... it really boils more down to the model you buy as to what specific benefits you will gain or lose. My list of cameras I have practical experience with is fairly long (including both Nikon and Canon) and I have not once used a camera I didnt "like" or that wouldnt serve any basic photographers needs.

Obviously you really went into the store without enough practical knowledge ahead of time (at no fault to yourself) so the employee who may or may not have ever made a dime shooting gave you some poor advise. I dont personally shoot studio work but I will tell you that both Canon and Nikon will work great in a studio environment. The D200 is a good camera as well as the other models Nikon puts out, and thats coming from a Canon shooter which I am.

Disclaimer: The following statement is meant to be humorous and not meant to instill riots.

With that said I would say a lot of Nikon users are like Harley riders. They always feel they have to justify the cameras and lenses they use... just like Harley riders have to wear all Harley gear and make sure that you know... they are riding a harley...LOL

Seriously though... good luck with your choice!

Pardon to the Ritz employee here...but I think that may be your problem...everytime I've ever gone to a Ritz shop, they always try to sell me what I don't want. Honestly, you'd be better off ordering it from a respectable online retailor (B&H, Adorama, Cameta) than Ritz...

That being said... D200 :drool:

Ok, now that the expended batteries are on the charger, I've picked up the dirty lens tissues and zipped up the case, I'm reminded that when I bought my original Nikon it was because I liked the feel of the machine when I held it- period.

clarinetJWD said:
Pardon to the Ritz employee here...but I think that may be your problem...everytime I've ever gone to a Ritz shop, they always try to sell me what I don't want. Honestly, you'd be better off ordering it from a respectable online retailor (B&H, Adorama, Cameta) than Ritz...

That being said... D200 :drool:
Amen. The only thing I ever listened to my local Ritz employee's advice on was when buying a cheap tripod (I don't use it enough to justify getting a Gitzo quite yet). I have a friend who works there and the staff was repeatedly telling stories about problems with the D50 that don't exist (I own one, have two friends who own one, and surf the Internet talking to people who own them and never have had build quality or optical issues like they'd have you believe). When I went in to compare the feel of the D50 vs. the 350D a year or so ago they were also heavily pushing Canon without ever listing specific reasons it was better. (Not insulting the Canon - it's just that both cameras are rock solid) They base their opinions off commissions, not facts, and it's annoying as hell.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of Quantaray crap either. I'll be replacing my UV filters one of these days.

Just a comment ... things are as bad here in Germany (and in the UK sometimes). Hard to find any good shops with qualified staff. I guess sometimes they simply have directives what to push in order to make the best profit.

In the mass-consumer shops there is mostly NO expertise ... and in the expensive Expert-shops I am sometimes not recognized as a potential customer for expensive equipment (as in when I am hung over, did not shave, or did not dress up with a tie ;)) .. I once was rather shocked when I was told by arrogant staff that they could not help me ;) .. well after that I decided to help myself and bought my L lenses online ;)

They're both good.

I always had Nikon 35mm gear at work simply because in the past (pre-internet), I could find more used Nikon in the camera shops. I used the 35mm for slides ONLY.

I have a couple of Canon DSLRs now.... the first Canon gear I've EVER owned in my 30+ years of photography. I like them fine. They're JUST TOOLS. They do what I tell them, so I'm happy.

Over the years, I've printed from both Nikon and Canon optics and found them to be comparable... both with nice contrast (as opposed to Asahi, which I thought was just as sharp).

My advice, chose a camera with the features YOU like, and you can't go wrong. They're both good brands.

Pete

Who is better the Yankees or Mets?

Ford or Chevrolet?

Coke or Pepsi?

It's all a personal choice, I'll take the Braves, Jeep, iced tea and Nikon.

Mel said:
I guess what i was looking for is the pros and cons of both. And i guess what i was looking for is the cons of a NIkon from a Nikon user and the cons of a Canon from a canon user.
the only con to shooting canon (if you want to call it a con), is cost. but at the same time you get what you pay for, not just with cameras, but with everything. canon puts out superior equipment, but it is a bit costly the more you get into it. nikon will put out similar (but by no means "better") products, for cheaper. in the end it comes down to personal preferance. the only real way tomake a decision is to go to a shop, try them both, and pick the one you like better (or in the case of nikon, the one you can afford)

:hugs:

bitteraspects said:
the only con to shooting canon (if you want to call it a con), is cost. but at the same time you get what you pay for, not just with cameras, but with everything. canon puts out superior equipment, but it is a bit costly the more you get into it. nikon will put out similar (but by no means "better") products, for cheaper. in the end it comes down to personal preferance. the only real way tomake a decision is to go to a shop, try them both, and pick the one you like better (or in the case of nikon, the one you can afford):hugs:
If I may add:
1) abovementioned cost. Bodies are a bit more expensive, the glass is IMO just as expensive.
2) The glass doesn't have good manual focus scale.
3) The viewfinders are CRAP across the whole lineup all the way into the pro 1Ds MkII. They're just small
4) I dunno what nikon is like, but canon has plastic moving parts even in their touted L lineup. Not the optical part, but the gears and such are made of plastic.
5) Canon's "slow primes" are crap. 28/2.8... 35/2... 50/1.8... are just sub par. If you like schooting with primes - nikon is the way to go.
6) Their wide angles suck. Nikon is clearly better.
7) I don't like the bokeh of many lenses

Pentax and nikon are much better in that department. IMO nikon and pentax are better value for money unless you have money for a 1 series body.

Also - their large telephotos are great. 200/1.8... the 300/2.8 and up are all stellar. So if you're doing birding - it's the way to go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back