No Flash.... No Red Eye

flashbackpat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I practiced all morning taking dog pictures in natural light without the sinful flash. I agree with the Pros. The dogs color is much more natural. And "look ma, no red eye!!!" :D

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0026JPGe.jpg

Red eye is not caused by flash, it's caused by flash that is coming from the same direction as the lens. I use bounce flash almost always indoors and never get red eye.

It's easier in my opinion when the dog's fur isn't a dark color, or black. My dog is so hard to get decent pictures of because she's black. But I'm learning. I love the first picture of your dog, so cute.

You lost a lot of the dog's coat's depth by not using flash and/or directional spot lighting. Maybe add a flash, but aim it from the far left or right to give some shadow.

You lost a lot of the dog's coat's depth by not using flash and/or directional spot lighting. Maybe add a flash, but aim it from the far left or right to give some shadow.

:thumbup: I agree. I personally would have bounced the flash on the first one slightly behind me and to the left toward the ceiling still though. Would have lit the dog very naturally without even telling a flash was used.

Red eye is not caused by flash, it's caused by flash that is coming from the same direction as the lens. I use bounce flash almost always indoors and never get red eye.

Yeah, I meant the in-camera flash. I don't yet possess any external devices or other fun stuff. Just the camera (Nikon D40X) and the kit lens it came with. I'll be looking into getting the extras after I learn how to use the camera as is.

It's easier in my opinion when the dog's fur isn't a dark color, or black.

I agree, I also have a black dog, Ill be practicing with her next. The first pic is my favorite too. :)

Very nice. Actually if you use a diffuser you'll get rid of the red also.

Thank you :) I wouldn't know what a diffuser was if one bit me on the you know what.

Actually, this was a self appointed assignment to see if I could actually get a focused photo in natural light. After 500 snapshots and a million setting changes I was just pleased to be able to see something resembling a dog. LOL

I realize I have tons still to learn. But it is exciting when you finally begin to understand about exposure and shutter speed. Thank you all for your educating comments. I'm making a wish list of photography devices that I need to save for.

I would have taken the dog outside to get some real light

I did try that, but the rain kept fogging up my camera's lens.

Most reactions

Back