NO LONGER MADE IN JAPAN!!!!!

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, im very upset right now. I work in a camera store where i daily sell cameras and usually only recomend cameras that are made in japan (its not that big of a deal, but it is to me). I was just selling a Canon SD1200IS to this guy and was pointing out that it was made in japan. He was looking at a sony P&S, to me sony's p&s are not that good. I showed him how the sony was made in china and the canon i have on display was made in japan. When they braught his new sd1200is out of the stock room it was made in china! i was shocked, out of the 15 (assorted colors) only one i had was made in japan. I noticed this last year with the sd1100is, same thing happened. when it was released "made in japan" ... months later .... "made in china" ...... i hate that sh1t :grumpy:

to me sony's p&s are not that good

My first two P&S cameras were Sony Cybershot cameras--a 1.3 and 4.1 mp. I always thought they took excellent photos--at least as good as anything else out there at the time. However, I bought the 4.1 in 2004, so maybe they haven't kept up. :dunno:

Also, EVERYTHING is made in China now. Next time you are in the shower, look real closely, and I bet you'll find that you were in fact made in China. :lol:

to me sony's p&s are not that good

My first two P&S cameras were Sony Cybershot cameras--a 1.3 and 4.1 mp. I always thought they took excellent photos--at least as good as anything else out there at the time. However, I bought the 4.1 in 2004, so maybe they haven't kept up. :dunno:

Also, EVERYTHING is made in China now. Next time you are in the shower, look real closely, and I bet you'll find that you were in fact made in China. :lol:

sony made the first digital camera, if im not mistaken? but since last year sony has only been stamping their name to sell product. I baught a dsc-w170 which was their second highest model .... garbadge. FYI for point and shoot ..... canon/panasonic. Sony SLRs are ok, i like them.

Well im sure if somehow giving birth in china was cheaper, pregnant women would be outsourced and in fact I/you would be "made in china" lol

Last edited:
It is comes down to cost saving that everybody know about. I would rather pay less for an item that is made in China or anywhere in the world if it is the same thing.

and there lies the problem - china is not best know for its quality control in production - known very well for mass production, but not quality mass production - that is where Japan has had a leading edge.
Of course in real world terms most people prefer cheaper...

[...] if it is the same thing.

It rarely is.

The only way to make a product cheaper to manufacture is to cut corners somewhere - materials, the skill of the labor, packaging, etc... The point is - something has to suffer to make up the difference.

Just one example - I used to have a pair of Doc Martin work boots, they said "Made in England" on the sole. They lasted me a good 5 or 6 years of heavy use.

When they finally needed replacement, the new ones were made in China. They didn't last a year.

Just one example - I used to have a pair of Doc Martin work boots, they said "Made in England" on the sole. They lasted me a good 5 or 6 years of heavy use.

When they finally needed replacement, the new ones were made in China. They didn't last a year.

Same thing here. I have a pair of 2 year old Danners. Going good but was wearing them too much. So, 6 months ago I went and got a pair of Red Wings for a second pair. Both were their top of the line boots. Not cheaper versions at all.

Well after getting home with the new Red Wings. I noticed the tag "Assembled in US with US and foreign made components". I had just assumed they were Made in the US as always. I was a bit ticked off when I read that, as I think they were overpriced as they were. Then I find out they added foreign made parts to them. Why am I paying a premium for them then!!!

I recommend cameras made in Germany.

Haha, I bet you would. If only the cameras that I'm sure you're thinking of were within my budget...

i also would prefer a BMW M3, but ill settle for my 08 Chevy Malibu .... which i think is made in mexico? hmmmm ill have to look into that. I would love to have a leica .... maybe when they are not so overpriced

I never looked at where my shoes are made. I just figured some underage asian/mexican had made them. Its the downside to this world, and has contributed to our global economic depression. O well :/

When they braught his new sd1200is out of the stock room it was made in china! i was shocked, out of the 15 (assorted colors) only one i had was made in japan.

Oh well... we all vote with our purchases. If it bothers you, don't purchase chinese products. When there was a string of problems with children's toys made in china, my wife and I tried to find a source of toys not made in china. It was a difficult and very limiting proposition... to say the least. I'd say close to 90% of the toys here in the U.S. are made in china... even my son's "Red flyer" scooter which screams "good ol'American" was made in China.

I also like German but more for their overall well thought out design and engineering.. not necessarily build. Japanese really know how to make reliable and quality products but often lack in other ways... more like appliances.

It wasn't too long ago that Japanese products were crap and American was known for quality.

sony made the first digital camera, if im not mistaken? l

I think you are mistaken, It was kodak back in the 70's with the first digital I htink
I think Kodak made the first digital camera, but Sony made the first digital camera with a built screen for viewing pictures after taking them.

oh, and my Sony a300 DSLR...made in Japan. I figured it would have been made in China but, maybe Sony makes all there higher end stuff in Japan.
Probably what Canon is doing too. Making their higher end stuff in Japan, and maybe some of the first camera's in a new line, then they outsource it to China.

edit:
just checked my old Minolta...made in Malaysia! So this has been going on for a while now

I think you are mistaken, It was kodak back in the 70's with the first digital I htink
I think Kodak made the first digital camera, but Sony made the first digital camera with a built screen for viewing pictures after taking them.

oh, and my Sony a300 DSLR...made in Japan. I figured it would have been made in China but, maybe Sony makes all there higher end stuff in Japan.
Probably what Canon is doing too. Making their higher end stuff in Japan, and maybe some of the first camera's in a new line, then they outsource it to China.

edit:
just checked my old Minolta...made in Malaysia! So this has been going on for a while now

WIKIPEDIA.ORG
[edit] Analog electronic cameras

Handheld electronic cameras, in the sense of a device meant to be carried and used like a handheld film camera, appeared in 1981 with the demonstration of the Sony Mavica (Magnetic Video Camera). This is not to be confused with the later cameras by Sony that also bore the Mavica name. This was an analog camera, in that it recorded pixel signals continuously, as videotape machines did, without converting them to discrete levels; it recorded television-like signals to a 2 × 2 inch "video floppy". In essence it was a video movie camera that recorded single frames, 50 per disk in field mode and 25 per disk in frame mode. The image quality was considered equal to that of then-current televisions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back