NO LONGER MADE IN JAPAN!!!!!

When they braught his new sd1200is out of the stock room it was made in china! i was shocked, out of the 15 (assorted colors) only one i had was made in japan.

Oh well... we all vote with our purchases. If it bothers you, don't purchase chinese products. When there was a string of problems with children's toys made in china, my wife and I tried to find a source of toys not made in china. It was a difficult and very limiting proposition... to say the least. I'd say close to 90% of the toys here in the U.S. are made in china... even my son's "Red flyer" scooter which screams "good ol'American" was made in China.

Yes, it is hard to avoid a product that is not made in China. I read one story about the problem toys that were manufactured in China. The toy manufacturer was making good toy, however, the US economy in the past few years were bad. Even way before we had the financial mess, US companies that contract out the toy manufacturing to China need to slash cost due to their business is not doing so well. The smaller toy manufacturer need to survive and did not want to lose the contract. But if they did the way they did in the past, they will not able to make any money. So, at the end, some corners were cut and a low cost paint were used.

Of course, I do not agree for what the manufacturer did, but I do not think they are only one to blame. Corp. America should take part of the blame.

As for the electronics goes, I will agree making it in China is not the cause of the lower quality, cutting corner is.

Yes - cutting corners is NEVER a good thing. Some people may see it as a good thing, but they are more concerned with their profits than anything else.

...Sorry but...****ing pinkoes, as if stealing americain jobs wasn't enough.

But anyway, as far as cameras goes, I'll stick to cameras made in Japan, Germany or even the USA, If that means I'm stuck with classic/used equipment all my life then so be it. I'll take second hand quality over new and inexpencive anyday.

From a google find:

[SIZE=-1]In August, 1981, Sony released the Sony Mavica electronic still camera, the camera which was the first commercial electronic camera. Images were recorded onto a mini disc and then put into a video reader that was connected to a television monitor or color printer. However, the early Mavica cannot be considered a true digital camera even though it started the digital camera revolution. It was a video camera that took video freeze-frames.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Since the mid-1970s, Kodak has invented several solid-state image sensors that "converted light to digital pictures" for professional and home consumer use. In 1986, Kodak scientists invented the world's first megapixel sensor, capable of recording 1.4 million pixels that could produce a 5x7-inch digital photo-quality print. In 1987, Kodak released seven products for recording, storing, manipulating, transmitting and printing electronic still video images. In 1990, Kodak developed the Photo CD system and proposed "the first worldwide standard for defining color in the digital environment of computers and computer peripherals." In 1991, Kodak released the first professional digital camera system (DCS), aimed at photojournalists. It was a Nikon F-3 camera equipped by Kodak with a 1.3 megapixel sensor.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The first digital cameras for the consumer-level market that worked with a home computer via a serial cable were the Apple QuickTake 100 camera (February 17 , 1994), the Kodak DC40 camera (March 28, 1995), the Casio QV-11 (with LCD monitor, late 1995), and Sony's Cyber-Shot Digital Still Camera (1996).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]However, Kodak entered into an aggressive co-marketing campaign to promote the DC40 and to help introduce the idea of digital photography to the public. Kinko's and Microsoft both collaborated with Kodak to create digital image-making software workstations and kiosks which allowed customers to produce Photo CD Discs and photographs, and add digital images to documents. IBM collaborated with Kodak in making an internet-based network image exchange. Hewlett-Packard was the first company to make color inkjet printers that complemented the new digital camera images.[/SIZE]

I do not care where it is made, Japan, China or my backyard, as long as it does what I need. :)

I believe the "made in XXXXX" statement is only where it's assembled, right? The parts could have come from anywhere. Even Jerry's backyard. :)

I understand people trying to avoid products from china when it comes to toys. With some of the issues over the past few years, that's easily understandable. I just think it's hard to really know where the items actually come from.

I believe the "made in XXXXX" statement is only where it's assembled, right? The parts could have come from anywhere. Even Jerry's backyard. :)

I understand people trying to avoid products from china when it comes to toys. With some of the issues over the past few years, that's easily understandable. I just think it's hard to really know where the items actually come from.

That is correct. I talked to a person long time ago who own a company that make cell phone batteries. He told me that the cells itself were imported from Japan since Japan was the only manufacturer (at least at the time when I talked to him). But his company assembled the final product in China. So all the batteries were made in China.

I, personally, try to recommend products that are good quality and fit the need. Bizarre, I know.

awsome jerry! now i know! but doesnt kodak suck now? lol is kodak even doing anything but making poopy p&s cameras? made in your back yard? lmao

My Nikon is stamped "Made in JBY"

Anyone know what this means??

Jon

Hey guys, im very upset right now. I work in a camera store where i daily sell cameras and usually only recomend cameras that are made in japan (its not that big of a deal, but it is to me). I was just selling a Canon SD1200IS to this guy and was pointing out that it was made in japan. He was looking at a sony P&S, to me sony's p&s are not that good. I showed him how the sony was made in china and the canon i have on display was made in japan. When they braught his new sd1200is out of the stock room it was made in china! i was shocked, out of the 15 (assorted colors) only one i had was made in japan. I noticed this last year with the sd1100is, same thing happened. when it was released "made in japan" ... months later .... "made in china" ...... i hate that sh1t :grumpy:

Are you serious or is this a joke? Who the hell cares if something was made in china, japan, portugal, australia or the usa? It's the same product regardless. If toyotas were made in egypt, they'd be running of the same production equipment and the factories here in the US.

I have no idea where my gear was made, and I don't care, it gives me great results and awesome reliability you shouldn't care either, and you are a piss poor salesman if you are so naiv e to only sell cameras made in japan.

Japan sucks. Buy American everything... except motorcycles.. then buy japan.

This is why I buy from B&H. You can read real people's reviews. If you walk into a camera store, they try to sell you what will make them money, or based on their own biased opinion. It's hard to find places that offer logical opinions based on the NEEDS of the buyer, rather than the financial benefit of the seller. For those of you on here who give honest opinions to your buyers, I applaud you.

If I wanted a sales pitch based solely on where the product was made, or why the salesman wants me to buy it, I would go to Best Buy.

And for the record, before my DSLR I used a 10.1MP Sony Cybershot, and it works great.

Most reactions

Back