NO LONGER MADE IN JAPAN!!!!!

I, personally, try to recommend products that are good quality and fit the need. Bizarre, I know.
What the hell are you thinking? There isnt supposed to be common sense anymore.
Soon enough as I see it China is going to become to expensive labor wise for some corporations and, they will move to Cambodia, Laos or, Vietnam. So QC may indeed get worse.

Who the hell cares if something was made in china....
Clothing is a very good example of why I care if something was made in China. I have always worn Levis jeans for work and for "play". They fit right and they lasted forever. I've worn Levis since about 1980 or so when I was in 3rd grade. Now, Levis sent their stuff to China and they no longer fit right. They are made with inferior material. They just are not up to the quality I was use to anymore. I now buy Arizona jeans from JCPennys as they are the only jeans that I've found to fit correctly.

I work in a factory. I wear and go through a lot of t-shirts. I wear a 2x large as I like them a tad big. I recently bought 7 t-shirts, all 2x and all at the same time (so the same lot?) Two of them fit right, two or three of them are a bit tight and the rest are too short. They are all the same brand, same size on the label, bought at the same store off of the same rack.

Quality is just not the same.

This is why I buy from B&H. You can read real people's reviews. If you walk into a camera store, they try to sell you what will make them money, or based on their own biased opinion. It's hard to find places that offer logical opinions based on the NEEDS of the buyer, rather than the financial benefit of the seller. For those of you on here who give honest opinions to your buyers, I applaud you.

If I wanted a sales pitch based solely on where the product was made, or why the salesman wants me to buy it, I would go to Best Buy.

And for the record, before my DSLR I used a 10.1MP Sony Cybershot, and it works great.

everyone has their own opinion on products. i had a sony dsc-w170. it took nice photos, sometimes. canon point and shoots are superior excluding the w300. places like b&h who sell most of their products at cost make it hard for salesmen to make a living. what my canon rep told me is bh makes their money in the diamond market and use the store for temporary funds till they have to pay back manufacturers. dont know if its true, but its an awsome buisness plan! no matter what, there will always be comissioned sales. from milk to real estate. maybe not milk? lol but i give customers my honest opinion. somehow this post turned into that im a "japan made product" camera biased salesmen. eh, w/e ..... all i said was i pointed out a camera was made in japan. the new shipment of canon we got was made in china. its f*d up. i baught a canon sd1100is last year. it ws made in china, but the first sd1100s that came out were made in japan too. sick camera, best i ever owned. sold it tho, im going to buy the new sd780. i wonder if its made in china now too? o well

Hey guys, im very upset right now. I work in a camera store where i daily sell cameras and usually only recomend cameras that are made in japan (its not that big of a deal, but it is to me). I was just selling a Canon SD1200IS to this guy and was pointing out that it was made in japan. He was looking at a sony P&S, to me sony's p&s are not that good. I showed him how the sony was made in china and the canon i have on display was made in japan. When they braught his new sd1200is out of the stock room it was made in china! i was shocked, out of the 15 (assorted colors) only one i had was made in japan. I noticed this last year with the sd1100is, same thing happened. when it was released "made in japan" ... months later .... "made in china" ...... i hate that sh1t :grumpy:

Are you serious or is this a joke? Who the hell cares if something was made in china, japan, portugal, australia or the usa? It's the same product regardless. If toyotas were made in egypt, they'd be running of the same production equipment and the factories here in the US.

I have no idea where my gear was made, and I don't care, it gives me great results and awesome reliability you shouldn't care either, and you are a piss poor salesman if you are so naiv e to only sell cameras made in japan.

A . i dont ONLY sell cameras made in japan, your response is ignorant
B . i was pointing out the fact that within a few months of being a new product a great manufacturer switched plants.
C . maybe the customer asked me where it was made?
D. you should care where everything is made, other than qualty control the fact that over the years so many americans lost jobs and our country is in a horrible state .... this will only carry over to other countries untill we are the third world country whoring out cheap labor so some scumbag millionare who didnt already have enough money can come exploit us or even greenland. get the point?
E . beware greenland .... beware :p

f. why do you have to even comment if your going to be negative? seriously :thumbdown:

My pentax limited lenses are "assembled in vietnam", and the build quality is absolutely top notch. Good stuff can be built anywhere...

what is there to get over? i guess i missed something

What you need to get over is basically your entire position on this issue.

I know a lot about outsourcing... more than I'd like to, in fact... and your position is... um... misinformed at best.

Where something is made is not, by itself, a measure of its quality. It may be something you want to consider for socio-economic reasons... such as "do I want my jeans made in a sweatshop?", but that's it.

The quality of goods is affected more by the outsourcER than the outsourcEE. For example, if a company decides that cost, above all, is the primary concern, what are they going to do? Go for the cheapest possible place to get the work done and hope for the best. Is that China? Maybe. Maybe not.

The outsourcER could look to China, however, and find a really good provider of services at a portion of the cost without sacraficing much in the way of quality.

Outsourcing does not always work, but if handled intelligently it can work extremely well. Don't believe me? There's a certain sneaker company that outsources everything... except marketing. You may have heard of them. A little company called Nike. :)

I'm not even going to get into the "Protect American Jobs" nonsense... not only because it's essentially bogus, but also because it is unavoidably political.

This is all a very hard pill to swallow. The world became a very small place very fast and we're all struggling to understand how it affects us, and at the end of the day how we feed our family when the jobs we know how to do aren't always a town or two away. It is, however, reality, and people who insist upon positions like "BUY AMERICAN!" or "IF IT'S NOT MADE IN JAPAN, IT'S CRAP!" are only spreading ignorance through the system and not helping anyone.

Yeah, I know this is harsh. I don't care. :p

Chris, I agree with you.

It is really not where the product is made. If a product did not meet the requirement, the company can simply reject the entire order whether it is made in USA, Japan, Germany or China.

If you want a good argument that American made is not always the best, just look at Ford. :lol:

In my personal experience, as a consumer, when a manufacturer pulls up roots and moves production to *Insert Third World Country Here* - it is not good.

Quality goes through the floor, and the price stayes the same. The only improvement is the profit margin.

And for what it's worth, most Japanese cars are more American than American cars...

and there lies the problem - china is not best know for its quality control in production - known very well for mass production, but not quality mass production - that is where Japan has had a leading edge.
Of course in real world terms most people prefer cheaper...
You guys talk about China like it's still 1980. :)

China is EXCEPTIONALLY modernized in various areas. Take Apple for example, every Apple computer, iPod and iPhone are made in China. I've owned iPods for many years and they're exceptionally well built. I own Mac computers and again, exceptionally well built. My iPhones (I have two) have been very high quality and far more durable than many other phones I've owned over the years.

Billions of dollars have been pumped into China and lots of high-end eletronics are now being made there.

What makes them cheap is their very low labor costs. This probably won't last forever...

But don't underestimate China's ability to rival Japan and Korea in terms of high tech manufacturing.

In my personal experience, as a consumer, when a manufacturer pulls up roots and moves production to *Insert Third World Country Here* - it is not good.

Quality goes through the floor, and the price stayes the same. The only improvement is the profit margin.

And for what it's worth, most Japanese cars are more American than American cars...

Exactly.

Toyota FTW!!

and there lies the problem - china is not best know for its quality control in production - known very well for mass production, but not quality mass production - that is where Japan has had a leading edge.
Of course in real world terms most people prefer cheaper...
You guys talk about China like it's still 1980. :)

China is EXCEPTIONALLY modernized in various areas. Take Apple for example, every Apple computer, iPod and iPhone are made in China. I've owned iPods for many years and they're exceptionally well built. I own Mac computers and again, exceptionally well built. My iPhones (I have two) have been very high quality and far more durable than many other phones I've owned over the years.

Billions of dollars have been pumped into China and lots of high-end eletronics are now being made there.

What makes them cheap is their very low labor costs. This probably won't last forever...

But don't underestimate China's ability to rival Japan and Korea in terms of high tech manufacturing.

To add onto this, everyone here knows that China is about to pass the USA as #1 right?

To add onto this, everyone here knows that China is about to pass the USA as #1 right?
They are kicking some serious butt... I hate to say it, but at the rate they're advancing, they likely will pass us by in the not too distant future. We're on the decline and have been for decades. China is definitely on the up-tick.

what is there to get over? i guess i missed something

What you need to get over is basically your entire position on this issue.

I know a lot about outsourcing... more than I'd like to, in fact... and your position is... um... misinformed at best.

Where something is made is not, by itself, a measure of its quality. It may be something you want to consider for socio-economic reasons... such as "do I want my jeans made in a sweatshop?", but that's it.

The quality of goods is affected more by the outsourcER than the outsourcEE. For example, if a company decides that cost, above all, is the primary concern, what are they going to do? Go for the cheapest possible place to get the work done and hope for the best. Is that China? Maybe. Maybe not.

The outsourcER could look to China, however, and find a really good provider of services at a portion of the cost without sacraficing much in the way of quality.

Outsourcing does not always work, but if handled intelligently it can work extremely well. Don't believe me? There's a certain sneaker company that outsources everything... except marketing. You may have heard of them. A little company called Nike. :)

I'm not even going to get into the "Protect American Jobs" nonsense... not only because it's essentially bogus, but also because it is unavoidably political.

This is all a very hard pill to swallow. The world became a very small place very fast and we're all struggling to understand how it affects us, and at the end of the day how we feed our family when the jobs we know how to do aren't always a town or two away. It is, however, reality, and people who insist upon positions like "BUY AMERICAN!" or "IF IT'S NOT MADE IN JAPAN, IT'S CRAP!" are only spreading ignorance through the system and not helping anyone.

Yeah, I know this is harsh. I don't care. :p

thank you sir for an edjucated rebuttal. i never meant this to turn into what it has. i understand its beyond "buy american" and yes, ford is crap lol. but this isnt the reason i started this post. i admit, it has become a stupid arguemet. o well .... hopefully nobody continues with this nonsense. i just figured as a retailer myself id make people aware of the shenanigans that continues to take place. i still trust japan more :greenpbl:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back