Noise comparison question

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few people post Noise comparisons of different camera shots on the forum here and I think it can be interesting reading real users opinions. Then I thought that maybe they are sort of invalid. Everyone talks about posting raw shots as the baseline, but do not even the raw shots have to be converted to jpeg before a host site will except them. If thats the case are we not seeing a shot processed in some way or other. After that the host site might do its form of compression. Maybe I am completely wrong but are the shots that end up posted a real indication of picture quality?

Think that through again. Comparison photos posted on the same web site are all subjected to the same site processing, so comparisons remain valid.

Most people don't have high quality computer displays, and even fewer calibrate their displays, so how does that all affect real image quality?

Do you have an IPS type display that you calibrate monthly?

User to user comparisons of any kind are always very subjective. Shots taken by different people under different conditions with different parameters and processed and presented differently are always going to have an inherent amount of difference just from the variations in the methods (even if they make an effort to keep things similar).

This is why a proper review (normally, though not exclusively) done by retailers/magazines/pro sites etc... where the various items are tested against each other within the same conditions are more reliable to read. User based is still valid, but you have to read a much larger sample and also judge who is and who isn't worth listening to - a beginner with 2 weeks of experience probably isn't going to be a reliable to listen to as someone with 10 years experience.

People worry about noise too much. I would be more worried about ones skills at removing noise than the actual noise itself.

People worry about noise too much. I would be more worried about ones skills at removing noise than the actual noise itself.
Good point, some people can do wonders.
KmH, In answer to your question, no. Still there was the first part, converting them to jpeg, will that not effect different camera files different. Its not that important I was just curious

Most reactions

Back