noisy AF

panocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have a quite noisy lens, when i use it on AF mode. the lens is a fixed 50mm, nikkor. to me, it has always been like this, since i got it second hand.
now, does anyone have an idea about why is it noisy? and thus, how could i (in case i could) "silent" it?
actually, it doesn't bother too much, but makes me feel my camera like an old crappy toy ...and it is a not-that-old wonderful toy!

it has to do with the motor system of the lens, so I dont think there is anything you could do to quiet it that wouldn't effect you ability to use the lens (such as wrapping it in foam to dampen the noise). you have the 1.8?

yes, it is the 1.8
what i had in mind was the possibility of doing something by opening it. maybe, i thought, some cleaning might do it...? as a matter of fact, when you turn the focusing ring manually (a little bit fast back and forth, not really softly as you normally do when actually focusing) you already notice some weird sounds.
i am not afraid to open and put my hands "inside" a lens. it would not be the first time. but i don't want to do anything without knowing in advance what exactly to do

There are different types of AF as I understand it. I have only one lens for my 20D and it is noisy and the lens itself moves to focus. There are some lenses that are quiet and focus internally, which are USM in Canon terms I think or HSM in Sigma. I'm not too sure though so I'd wait for other replies before taking in what I say.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back