noob flash question

noob873

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im currently using my dads sb 400 whenever I need it, eventually want to get something a little better, but I have a quick question.
When I put it on, it doesnt let me bring the shutterspeed faster than 200, is there a way to make it faster?

Im currently using my dads sb 400 whenever I need it, eventually want to get something a little better, but I have a quick question.
When I put it on, it doesnt let me bring the shutterspeed faster than 200, is there a way to make it faster?

That's the limitation of the D80.

With the 600 or 800 flash head, you can fire the flash in "FP" mode at any shutter speed you wish but the power will be reduced.

Thanks. :)
That sucks though, now time for me to decide sb600 or 800, they both can be done wirelessly right?

The D40 has 1/500s flash sync, by far the best in Nikon's entire lineup, and heck even compared to most other DSLRs on the market too. The older D50 and D70 also had 1/500s flash sync. I wish my D80 could do this too, but that's in part why I got a secondary D40. I've never tried the FP mode with the 600/800, but would be curious to hear how it works out. Yes you can use both of those wirelessly on the D80 too.

Mav, my d40x will only go to 1/200. Is it d40 only?

Yes, specifically the D40. It has to do with the secondary electronic shutter on the 6MP sensor that wasn't possible for whatever reason on the 10MP sensors.

now time for me to decide sb600 or 800, they both can be done wirelessly right?
Right out of the box.

Flash Synch for the D80 is 1/200s. Not a problem under normal situations.

If money is an issue, then go SB-600, otherwise the SB-800 is a better choice IMO.

I think the 800 is overkill and that the 600 is much better bang for the buck, but that's just me. I've never found my 600 to be lacking in any way.

Thanks. :)
That sucks though, now time for me to decide sb600 or 800, they both can be done wirelessly right?

Yes and the built-in can be used as the "commander" (with or without firing the flash).

I think the 800 is overkill and that the 600 is much better bang for the buck, but that's just me. I've never found my 600 to be lacking in any way.

Agree completely.

The D40 has 1/500s flash sync, by far the best in Nikon's entire lineup, and heck even compared to most other DSLRs on the market too. The older D50 and D70 also had 1/500s flash sync. I wish my D80 could do this too, but that's in part why I got a secondary D40. I've never tried the FP mode with the 600/800, but would be curious to hear how it works out. Yes you can use both of those wirelessly on the D80 too.

For "normal" flash environments, I've found the 1/200 to be just fine. I use FP for outdoor fill-flash. You really don't need to think about it - it's invoked automatically when the shutter speed exceeds 1/200. The only reason for the on/off is because the pop-up (which I never use) and the "400" (which I don't have) won't support it. Works well for me.

Be aware that FP brightness will drop off at very high shutter speeds.

Agree completely.
I agree the 600 is a very capable flash unit. But this also spawns the question of why a noobie buys a $1000 camera. I think the 800 is much more intuitive, has the increased power, quicker recycle time and can be the master for multiple setup. If my funds are stretched thin, hands down the 600. If I have the money for a D80, why would I buy a D40? Further down the road..........

For "normal" flash environments, I've found the 1/200 to be just fine. I use FP for outdoor fill-flash. You really don't need to think about it - it's invoked automatically when the shutter speed exceeds 1/200. The only reason for the on/off is because the pop-up (which I never use) and the "400" (which I don't have) won't support it. Works well for me.

Be aware that FP brightness will drop off at very high shutter speeds.
I'd do that, except it's a pain to carry around a bigger camera (D80 vs D40) and a much bigger flash (600/800 vs 400 or pop-up) if all I need is 1/500 sync either for action or harsh shadowing or both. :(

I agree the 600 is a very capable flash unit. But this also spawns the question of why a noobie buys a $1000 camera. I think the 800 is much more intuitive, has the increased power, quicker recycle time and can be the master for multiple setup. If my funds are stretched thin, hands down the 600. If I have the money for a D80, why would I buy a D40? Further down the road..........

Intuitive? The ONLY time that I do anything at all with the "600" controls is to turn flash on or off and to turn the remote on or off. Otherwise, everything is controlled by the camera. What do you need to do with the "800?"

This is now a philosophical argument. Everyone's philosophy will vary, so here's mine. Mine is about efficiency. I don't like to buy more than I truly "need", even if I can afford far more. If the 600 is a very capable flash and fulfills my needs, then why bother with a nearly twice as expensive 800? If the D40 does everything I "need" it to do, then why bother with a nearly twice as expensive D80? I have both a D80 and D40 and bought the 80 first, before the 40 was out. Having used both quite a bit though, I'm seriously considering selling my D80 now before the D90 comes out and just sticking with the D40. There's nothing reasonable that I can't do with my D40, I actually like it better in a lot of ways vs the D80, and I don't truly need a 2nd body anyways. It's inefficient to have a big pile of money sitting around not getting used. I'd rather sell it while it still has some value and put it towards something I would use, like a 70-200VR. Another great lens to stick on the D40! :lol:

BTW I mostly use my SB-400 now rather than the 600. I don't need FP mode since the D40 has 1/500s flash sync natively, and it's easier to rotate the camera around if you need to bounce in a different direction than it is to keep rotating the flash head around on the 600. The 400 also handles a ton better without needing a big battery grip like I have on my D80. For chasing around my daughter at ground level, the D40/17-55/SB-400 is a killer combo.

Most reactions

Back