Noob needs some tips on exposure from some pros!

nntruong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm having problems shooting waterfalls in sunny days. I want the fall to be silky smooth but by doing so it would always turn out of be over exposed because of the slow shutter speed. I have tried shooting at f22 and maxed out on EV, but even so I can't get the silky smooth fall without being over exposed. I did some research and someone said using a ND filter might help? but I don't have one at the moment to try. Are there any other ways?

Golden hour. AKA= Sunset and Sunrise. Wait until the sun either sets, or is rising. You know how things fall into shadow right before the sun dips below the horizon? Shoot then, before it gets too dark. Otherwise, your only option is either a Polarizer or ND filter. Unless you want to try and so some serious editing.

Shoot when it's almost dark out, in low light, or get an ND filter. Really there is no other way around it.

You could also shoot film and step down to iso 25 or so, which is 4 stops slower than what digital can currently achieve.

Golden hour. AKA= Sunset and Sunrise. Wait until the sun either sets, or is rising. You know how things fall into shadow right before the sun dips below the horizon? Shoot then, before it gets too dark. Otherwise, your only option is either a Polarizer or ND filter. Unless you want to try and so some serious editing.

Yeah. I thought of the golden hour too. But I was on the go so I can't sit around and wait lol Hmm maybe I'll carry a filter then.

Shoot when it's almost dark out, in low light, or get an ND filter. Really there is no other way around it.

You could also shoot film and step down to iso 25 or so, which is 4 stops slower than what digital can currently achieve.

Okay. Thanks. I've never tried film before are there any significant difference?

I'm having problems shooting waterfalls in sunny days. I want the fall to be silky smooth but by doing so it would always turn out of be over exposed because of the slow shutter speed. I have tried shooting at f22 and maxed out on EV, but even so I can't get the silky smooth fall without being over exposed. I did some research and someone said using a ND filter might help? but I don't have one at the moment to try. Are there any other ways?

As others have said, lowlight, sunrise, sunset or Neutral Density Filters - no other way. Problems with sunrise/sunset could occur if the waterfalls is in deep shadow during the rise/set, same potential problem with "lowlight" conditions. The reality is that neutral density (ND) filters are probably the only way to get the results that you would like to have.

There are two types of ND filters, screw-ons and drop-in or slot-in and,as you probably already know they come in different densities depending on the light intensity differences you wish to accommodate. I fyou already know this stuff, thenI am repeating myself, but, I include just for completeness - hopefully it helps a bit.

As you probably know from your research, screw-ons are just that - they screw on to the front of the lens, so you may have to have different filters for each lens that has a different size objective, or you can do what some do (I've done this myself) - buy filters to screw on to the largest lens you have and then buy step-down rings that will allow you to use these filters on lenses that have smaller objectives, in my case, my largest lens is my 16-35mm wide angle with an 82 mm objective whereas most of my other main lenses have a 77mm objective, so I bought a 82 to 77mm stepdown ring and I screw the ring onto my 77 mm 24-105 and then I can use the 82 mm ND filters on that lens - a lot cheaper than having to buy filters for each lens with a different size objective.

Slot-in filters are quite different, in that they do not "screw-in", rather they are square or rectangular and require a special holder and "adapter" for each lens with a different objective size - the adapter screws onto the front of the lens, the holder fits into the adapter and the filters fit into slots in the holder. Check this out for some detailed coverage: "The Ultimate Easy Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | RedBubble

As you have probably guessed or discovered in your research, ND filters, like any other piece of precision glass, are not cheap, and like any other piece of glass, you get exactly what you pay for - good filters=good pictures, cheap filters=cheap glass, and...well you know.

A good overview of drop-in filters can be found here: Lee Filters Camera products and some stuff on screw-in filters can be found here: Kenko International

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

WesternGuy

WesternGuy,

Thanks for the clarification and the links! Your reply has helped a lot!

.............You could also shoot film and step down to iso 25 or so, which is 4 stops slower than what digital can currently achieve.

ISO 100 to ISO 25 is only 2 stops.

Most reactions

Back