Noob photographer. C&C Please!

jterry85 said:
Noobs C&C'ing Noobs! That's always entertaining!

Ahhh, the blind leading the blind. Just sit back, be quiet, and let them walk into a wall :p

OP- i think these are clearly just snapshots, which you even admitted to. They aren't interestingly composed, and the definitely need some work.

BUT, they have potential. I for one happen to like the stadium lights as silhouettes in the photo. As it stands now now do detract from it a bit. But at the same time they tell a story about the scene beyond it just being another sunrise. I think it has potential, but needs a re-shoot for sure.

jterry85 said:

Ahhh, the blind leading the blind. Just sit back, be quiet, and let them walk into a wall :p

OP- i think these are clearly just snapshots, which you even admitted to. They aren't interestingly composed, and the definitely need some work.

BUT, they have potential. I for one happen to like the stadium lights as silhouettes in the photo. As it stands now now do detract from it a bit. But at the same time they tell a story about the scene beyond it just being another sunrise. I think it has potential, but needs a re-shoot for sure.

As someone who is fairly new to these boards, this posts frustrates me. People new to photography get a bad wrap for only posting pictures and not contributing to the board (something I read on another thread), and when they do try to be helpful, they get slammed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Please tell me what us new folks are supposed to do???

New people should hang back a bit before jumping in with critiques. Before posting a C&C request, do a little roaming around on the boards. Research what makes a good photograph before posting snapshots. Go out and take some photos with the knowledge you have acquired (compositionally) and THEN ask for C&C. You don't have to follow my suggestion but be aware that a snapshot won't get you many comments other than "its a snapshot...woopee doo". If you are honestly passionate about becoming a photographer, let that passion thicken your skin.

Thank you all for everything. Really appreciate it, ill definately do a re-shoot when i get to see the sky like that again! Thanks again!

I don't know where this thread will end up going, but Noob to a board has nothing to do with noob to photography, .

As far as the OP's images.

It's great that a Noob to photography can spot a textured and colorful sky! Now, with a great sky like that, use it.
The sky isn't going away that quick. Find an interesting spot nearby and think about your composition.
In these shots, the sky is interesting, but are the images pleasing?

That is my C&C in this case - overall composition first

Thank you joey_ricard. Ill keep that question in mind everytime i take pictures. I appreciate it!

Thank you all for everything. Really appreciate it, ill definately do a re-shoot when i get to see the sky like that again! Thanks again!

Please don't wait for that to happen. That sky was like that just that once. Just go out and shoot. That's the neat thing about photography. I could take a hundred shots of the sun rising over the lake (oh and I have) and each one will be unique to any of the other ones. Don't wait for the "perfect moment" to go out and shoot...go out and shoot to make that perfect moment.

Ohh i didnt mean that i was going to wait lol. I will keep shooting! Thanks a lot!

Well, I've been interested in photography for a very long time and I actually like the first one. I think it's interesting because you have several light poles of different heights pointed in different directions and not in a straight line (as opposed to the set-up in the second), which keeps your eye roaming and interested. The silhouetted elements along the bottom act to anchor the image (again, as opposed to the second). An active sky like this is always a good contrast to a silhouette. Another interesting feature is that the light in the upper right is closer to the corner than the classic ROT point, and this often is a powerful position.

Great shots!
I love the colors, and the clouds as well.
If you panned to the right, or re-composed the picture without those trees on the left side on the first picture, the composition would be better.

Composition??? What Composition? :) would you (or the OP) please explain to me how this is composed? What is the subject? What meaning does it have, and why do you feel it is interesting? Please!

Well on the second photo, the streetlamps are parallel to the edge of the clouds. I thought that bit was interesting.

Really? :) try reading this.. and look at some of the sunset shots....

Helpful Hints For Shooting Sunsets

Apogee Photo Magazine: Photo Contest & Sunset Photo Winners

Last edited:
Last edited:
Noobs reminding them that even in a poor photo, there's something positive to be said. In all other hobbies (scuba, snowboarding, racing), never have soooo many been soooo eager to ONLY point out the negative. I've been a firearms trainer (CATM) for years and have seen people that couldn't hit a damn thing. At the end of the day, even if it's just the fact they're trying, we'd find something positive to encourage them. Jterry85, judging by you're location, you probably have been on the receiving end of that type of C&C (or as we call it, AAR).

P.S. Get back safely, bro.

You will not really help them to improve by telling them this is "OK"... it will only encourage them to continue doing the same stuff. You will notice that "Howling Wolf" liked what you said.. please check out his stuff.. and you will know why he liked this.. as it gives him (and others) to continue making the same mistakes over and over... and feel good about it! That's progress for you! :)

(I bet you are an advocate of the "Give every child a Trophy" concept.. aren't you?) ;)

Way too much of that going on! Hard to help someone, when what you tell them is negated by someone else that doesn't really know any better themselves!

newbs* not noobs* its short for newbie which is a word, not noobie which is not a word.

just having fun.

Nerd correction aside, I agree with a lot of what has been said, though after living in the country most of your life with an obsession with the sky you learn to appreciate certain color schemes and the clouds are absolutely beautiful. But those light poles and that fence really do detract from the clouds which I think should be the focus.

You really shouldn't even have an opinion.. based on your photos!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back