Noob photographer. C&C Please!

jterry85 said:
Noobs C&C'ing Noobs! That's always entertaining!

Ahhh, the blind leading the blind. Just sit back, be quiet, and let them walk into a wall :p

OP- i think these are clearly just snapshots, which you even admitted to. They aren't interestingly composed, and the definitely need some work.

BUT, they have potential. I for one happen to like the stadium lights as silhouettes in the photo. As it stands now now do detract from it a bit. But at the same time they tell a story about the scene beyond it just being another sunrise. I think it has potential, but needs a re-shoot for sure.

As someone who is fairly new to these boards, this posts frustrates me. People new to photography get a bad wrap for only posting pictures and not contributing to the board (something I read on another thread), and when they do try to be helpful, they get slammed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Please tell me what us new folks are supposed to do???

Don't encourage BAD work... by saying it is ok or great, when it isn't! The other new people don't know you (and don't know any better).. and they give your opinion just as much credence as they do Derrel, Tirediron, Bitter,or Mishele. But who's critique do you really think is more valuable? Random comments only get in the way!

If you decide to comment.. then look at the shot.. see if you think something is wrong with it.. then find out how to fix it (if you don't know).. and then critique it, with both good and bad..and how to make it better. That will help the OP.. not get in the way of others trying to help.. and guess what, YOU WILL LEARN a lot more that way!!!!!

While we have this dude's attention:

I think a lot of people new to photography become afraid when it comes to proper exposure. Shadows and highlights are needed to convey the emotion of light and all too often those new to photography are led to believe that this isn't the case.

In the case of the OP, a nice silhouette would probably be a great choice for a sky like that, especially if there is no body of water nearby in which to reflect that sky.

Silhouettes make nice images, although they may not be for everybody. My example for the OP to see what I am talking about if he is not sure what we are talking about. It's a simple scene and I shot this for nothing more than it was a pretty shot, but believe it or not, I get a lot of request for this on Canvas.

Farm Sunset by Joey Ricard, on Flickr

Lol thanks again to all.
Ill keep everything that was said in mind everytime i take pictures. It all helps. Thanks!

I love the early morning sky. You did a great job with the exposure and color - but here's an idea for future shots:

When composing, consider what is the MOST important part of your image and consider the image in its entirety. If your subject is the sky and that is of the most importance, make sure that anything in silhouette doesn't detract from the sky's movement. Here the light poles jut up into the horizontal movement of the sky. Sometimes this is intended, but if not - I've always had the mantra to "watch the edges - make every element deliberate." Just pay attention to the outside edges in your composition and decide whether they add or detract from your subject. Try other angles and take a bunch of exposures - that's the luxury of digital. Then go back through and really think about what worked in each composition and which ones weren't as successful.

From my view - your second exposure is most successful because the line of the silhouetted poles mirrors the moving line of the clouds. I might just crop out the bottom right corner, but otherwise that one is great!

I hope this helps you compare your images, and thanks for letting everyone critique - that takes a lot of courage for beginners!

Heather~
Save the Artist - a creative community

Thanks a lot for the detailed c&c heather, it helps a alot!

Most reactions

Back