Noober questions

FullCircle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

First post, thanks for all the threads. I've learned a lot. I'm a noob myself but grew up watching my Dad be a photographer for a living. I recently got into his old stash of cameras he would use for small shoots. Included is:

Bodies: Canon F1, Canon AE-1

Lenses Macro FD 50mm 1:3.5, FD 50mm 1:1.4, Extension tube FD 25 (not sure what this is for), FD 24 mm 1:2.8, FD 35mm 1:2.8, FD 200mm 1:4, FD 300mm 1:4.

There are also various filters.

So my question is what should I start out with? I live on the boardwalk and would like to take pictures of my friends surfing and the sunset. Also I'm a big motorcycle (old cafe racers) enthusiast who would like to take some pics of some friends bikes.

What is the macro lens used for? What is the extension tube for?

Also I recently snapped a couple of rolls and took them to CVS for development. I was going to just get negatives but they said they can just put them to CD so I did that. I am loosing anything by having them scan the negs opposed to me scanning them with my flatbed and film adapter?

Thanks so much for reading my post and thanks in advance for your answers (if you don't mind helping out a noob :))

Macro lenses and extention tubes are both used for closeup shots. The macro setting on the macro lense will allow you to get close. The extention tubes on your other 50mm will allow you to get close with that lenses. As far as the CD from CVS I do not know, I thought about doing that the last time but I did not know they did not give you the negatives.

What kind of old cafe racers are you talking about?

I thought about doing that the last time but I did not know they did not give you the negatives.

They should be giving you the negatives...

You get the CD in addition to the negatives, not instead of them.

The scans on the CD are probably sufficient resolution for printing, but you could probably go higher by scanning them at home.

Thanks guys. Honda CB350's, Yami RD350's and some various old bikes. I thought it would be great to shoot them on film in some dirty garages. I just need to get my basics down as I developed my first 3 rolls and the results were sucky.

As far as CVS goes they give you the negs and a CD with jpegs. Each photo is only about 500kb so the resolutions sucks. It was about $5 a roll for the negs and a CD. It's good to just see the photos so I can pick the best ones to scan myself for better res, and I can walk there.

So I took some shots out on the beach of some surfers this weekend and the results were grainy. Shot these with a 300mm lens hand held. If I'm correct, grainy shots are the result of not enough light getting in the shot? not sure. What did I do wrong here?
4303378375_e239b88405_o.jpg

Here's the only ok shot of my pup from me sitting at my desk. It looks like a snap shot i know, and it's dark. But my little buddy looks like the man in it.
4304148426_f3a7bb9fbe_o.jpg

Thanks again for all your help.

Grainy images can be caused by underexposure or very high speed film.

What camera were you using ?
You should start with the Canon AE-1 (I assume it is not the AE-1 Program) as it has semi-automatic exposure.

FYI: the Canon FD 50mm f1.4 and the FD 300mm f4.0 are very good lenses.

I was using the AE-1 with the 300mm. If it is caused by uder adjustment then which setting should be adjusted? The film was Fuji Provia 100 Daylight. Don't know how old it was.

How do I know if its the program? Took some pics for you.
4303478087_1e12cfde8c.jpg

4304221380_98d7731a98.jpg

4304221168_14f25b5ed1.jpg

Thanks again!

OK.
You have the camera in manual exposure. Make sure you adjust aperture according to the meter in the viewfinder.

The Canon AE-1 has a semi-automatic mode if you put the Lens in the "A" mode. The camera will set the lens aperture automatically based on the shutter speed you set.

What film did you use for the B+W shot ?

I used the Fuji Provia 100 Daylight for the B&W. The color was 400 CVS cheapo stuff. I thought I had adjusted the aperture correctly according to the meter in the viewfinder. For shots like this what speed should I use? I actually have a stand alone meter as well (Pentax Digital Spot meter). Should I practice with that as well? So this isnt the program version?

This is really helpful. Thanks a ton.

General rule of thumb ... for handheld shooting do not set speed lower than focal length of lens.

Yes, use your Pentax meter to verify if the Canon internal meter matches.

... I have to ask ... did you change the Camera film speed dial when you changed film types ?

General rule of thumb ... for handheld shooting do not set speed lower than focal length of lens.
... I have to ask ... did you change the Camera film speed dial when you changed film types ?

Don't worry about offending me with dumb questions :), cause I'm not really sure of anything. No I did not change the camera settings based on film speed, I'm guessing I should have. If shot on 100 what should the speed be set at? If shot on 400 what should the speed be set at?. I shot the one of the dog on 60 (with 400 cheapo film) and the surfer at 1000 (with expired Fuji Provia 100 Daylight B&W).

What do you mean by focal point of the lens? IE if I'm using a 50mm 1:1.4 what is the slowest speed it should be on? The highest?

Thanks,

Hmm, sounds like you are getting confused about the Film Speed dial and the Shutter Speed dial.
Here look at this ... image #4 Film speed ISO/ASA
The second image is the Shutter Speed.

The focal length of a lens is also referred to as it's size ... in your case the focal length is 50mm.
So the rule is not to set your Shutter Speed lower than 50 ... the actually closest speed on the dial is 60.
With the 400mm lens ... try not to go below 500.

Now this is just a rule of thumb ... you might be steadier than that. I have used the 400mm at speeds as low as 125.

Ah ha. Now I'm set. Big thank to you sir. I'll be sure to keep this thread alive with some pics to come.

Now when it come to lens choice I'm going to be visiting some friends in Philly this weekend and wanted to take some pics of them inside. I'll be bringing the AE-1 and just one lens. I was thinking the 50mm would be good for portrait style photos and some general scenery pics of the city.

I have some wide angle lenses too. Those seem like they would be good for close ups of motorcycles though. Is the 50mm just a good all around lens for everyday random shots? I have a 50mm Macro aswell which seems to take some really cool shots but limits my focusing. What do you think? Last question promise.

I would suggest the 35mm lens as a general purpose for what you just mentioned.

I personally would use the 24mm .... but that may be too wide angle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back