Noobie and new to forum

mom21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new here and also new (sort of) to DSLR photography. A little back background: Have always loved taking pictures, hung out in point and shoot world for way too long for two reasons: DSLR's were intimidating, and I wanted to have a movie mode to capture videos. Since videos are now possible, I took the plunge with an entry level Sony SLT A33 (I know, not really a DSLR). I have the 18-55 kit lens, the 70-300 (kit also, I guess, since it came with it) and a Minolta lense I got off of ebay, a 28-100. I've had it for about 3 weeks now.

I joined another forum first, but their beginner section made me quickly realize what I needed is a pre-beginner class! Just joking ... sort of. Anyway, after reading this forum for a week, I think it would be more helpful to me.

Here is my first question: what to photograph for beginning critiques. (I think they're called "C C's"?). I have some shots but from my reading, I gather they would not be interesting at all for critiques. They are beach trip and sunset shots which I guess are a dime a dozen and need to really stand out in order to be critiqued?

I rode around last weekend in search of interesting stuff, but everything still looks so brown and dull outside. I do live near water and parks but they have no color at all right now. So, does anyone have any suggestions of what I could photograph to submit for critiquing? thanks for any suggestions!

What are your interests? Are you interested in wildlife? If so mammals, birds or insects? Landscapes, textures, patterns, colour, architecture, transportation? Pick a subject that you're interested in and go and find it, then photograph it in as many ways as you can. How can you get a sense of the subject across without just placing it in the middle of the frame? Maybe it's in the details as opposed to the subject as a whole, maybe it looks better at the beginning/end of the day and in different light, maybe it looks better from a lower/higher angle.

You said you live near water and parks. Is it running water, or a lake? How do the reflections look? What or who is in the park? Is it a kids' play park with cimbing frames and swings, or gardens with hedgerows and sports fields?

Everything is photographable. Get out there and instead of just looking, try to "see".

Welcome to TPF!

I had the same problem...drab drab drab w nothing to shoot. So, if drab is all there is, I thought about trying some black & white shots. I had never done B&W before and was thrilled to give it a try. I posted the shot below (and 2 others) in another thread yesterday.

As Forkie said: everything is photographable!

Most reactions

Back