Not disappointed.. Not satisfied.

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by MVPernula, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Your thinking is rather shallow, and can be summed up thusly:
    So it's no wonder you are not satisfied, and you will not be unless and until you acquire a D800. Your mind has already been made up.

Some of us actually appreciate the differences between the D5xxx series and the D7100, but it's obvious that you will not be satisfied unless you have your D800.

2. adamhiram

adamhiram No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    This is probably the best advise you'll see on this thread. Last year I upgraded from a D5100 to a D500, and under ideal conditions I couldn't tell you which body was used to take the photo. My main reason for upgrading was better autofocus, and I was willing to to pay a high price for that. I didn't need higher resolution or a full frame sensor, but I wanted the D5 AF system. I could have gotten the same high ISO performance and higher resolution from a recent generation D5xxx for less than half the price, and without giving up some of the integrated features like the IR remote shutter release and pop-up flash.

Going from a D5100 to D7100 means going from 11 to 51 AF points, and from 1 to 15 cross-type, which is huge. It doesn't mean your shots will be any nicer, but try tracking a moving subject, particularly in low light, and you'll notice your number of keeper shots goes up tremendously.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Timppa

Timppa No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was so close on switching to FX, but then i found the Nikon 10-20 with VR for wide angles and now I could set my needs for FX aside ^^. (the VR is awesome, I actually hand hold a 1.5sec picture and it was sharp! But generally taking pics at 10mm are no problem at 1/5 of a second)
    If you want the 50mm-feel on DX, get a decent 35mm (the nikon 35 1.8 is cheap and good), if you want better, sigma has a 1.4 one and tamron a 1.8 with VR (i've heared they are awesome).
    And like I mentioned before, the sigma 18-35 1.8 is like having primes from 18 to 35, it is that good! (it will be like 27-50mm on FX, isn't this was you look for?).
    you want better low light control, but all your lenses are f3.5+, those are fast on FX, but slower on DX.
    Can you rent a sigma 18-35 for a day, give it a go? and then you could decide to get the lens, or upgrade to FX.

Also, the idea that FX lenses are better on DX bodies is not always true! Yes you use only the center of the frame, so no vignetting and you have sharper parts in the edges, but the lens is not made for DX, you also lose a lot of information. (check this good video for example: )

And I'm in Finland, I think finding a used D800e is indeed difficult :p

4. MVPernula

MVPernula TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, my mind mas pretty set on it when I started this topic, but the discussion has made me think differently.

And it's not like I dont appreciate the differences between the two, I know you might think that after the things I said.

5. MVPernula

MVPernula TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah.. I'm coming to the conclusion that I should play around a bit more with this guy before doing anything else. Put my focus on a new lens if anything.

6. MVPernula

MVPernula TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't have any camera shops close by, sadly. To rent one would be quite a hassle.
    But I'll definetly keep that lens in mind! :D

Right?? Like I hadn't even heard of it until a friend om mine showed him his.

7. snowbear

snowbear fuzzy-wuzzy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I had my D40 for ten years; the D750 is probably my last main body.

8. MVPernula

MVPernula TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As in "It's that good"?

9. snowbear

snowbear fuzzy-wuzzy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It works quite well for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. s_marolf

s_marolf TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A little over ago I purchased a used nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRI, then a few months later I upgraded from the D5100 to the D610. Looking back if I could have just choose just one no doubt it would be the lens.

The 35mm f1.8 DX several people mention is a great lens. I had one for my D5100 and had it on the majority of the time. In your case though it may be better to stick with FX lenses. Sounds like you'll end up their eventually.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cortian

Cortian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    MV, what got me started on this was a friend giving me his old (Canon) 20D, along with a 17-55m lens. I actually had it in my possession for six months or so before I even approached it. On Christmas Day I sat down and started studying it.

It took me all of about two weeks playing with it before I started thinking about the things I wished it had or could do. I found 80% of those things in an inexpensive upgrade of two model versions. (Yes: I upgraded from a fourteen-year-old model to an eleven-year-old model.)

In my case the features were... uhm... "utility" and convenience features, such as a more useful LCD display, a button I could dedicate to back-button focus, auto-ISO and settings memories. Things I found myself wishing for as I'd used the 20D. (I gained some actual photo-taking performance improvements at the same time, but those weren't the impetus.)

The thing is: The improvements I seeked won't really do much, if anything, to improve the photos I take. They will simply make the camera more convenient or more fun to use. If I want to improve the photos I take it's the gear between my ears I need to improve, not the gear I hold in my hands.

This is what I was more-or-less getting to in my first post in this thread: What is it you seek? If you seek better, more powerful gadgets for the sake of having better, more powerful gadgets then by all means: Have at it. But if what you're seeking is better photos I suspect you're looking in the wrong direction.

There are things I think I'm going to want to do with photography that will demand some eventual equipment additions, but they'll be in lenses and speedlights. I figure this eleven-year-old 40D body will carry me a good, long way. As for the lenses, in particular: I won't be needing those until I exhaust the possibilities with what I have already.

This is my perspective. As they say: YMMV.

12. MVPernula

MVPernula TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

This is probably one the best replies yet, at least to me.
    Basically, I'm a huge tech geek. I love tinkering, upgrading, changing and having good stuff. Of course I want to improve as a photographer and what I have will definetly do for a long time like you say with your Canon 40D. Right now I'm just basically at the point where I feel like "man that's juicy".

The D7100 is by no means bad, and for an amature like me it'll go miles before I actually start using its full potential. If ever. A good example would be my PC interest, I built myself a PC will all the latest and gratest (well alright, in this case I didn't necessarily NEED it, but I use all of it to the fullest), but I basically got it because I wanted to remove any possible bottleneck- leaving nothing but me to improve with my equipment.

But this thread has helped me realize that maybe I should focus on the lenses a bit more, and upgrade when I feel like I'm limited by the camera.