Not quite 4,000...

err wait you totally lost me with that last post

I do have a feeling that since the website owners changed our mods have been left a bit understaffed with the site - though out of interest anyone used the report feature on those thread to point out (nicly) that they are in the wrong section (I tend to never notice as I surf in newposts most of the time)

That was the time also a lot of great members left this forum. I learned so much from them. Before I join this forum, I thought learning photography was just learning how to make a good photo. (I did not go to any photography school) After I join this forum and wow ... discovered that there are so many things related to Photography. From a noob not even know about the relationship between ISO/Aperture/Shutter speed, to a not-so-noob that learned something like EV value (table) Circle of Confusion, Digital Sensor, Hyperfocal Distance .. perspective distortion, Lens hood design .... plus many many more from this forum in the beginner section ..

At that time, I was like ... a sponge ...

But, it is all different now. I seldom see those technical terms or concepts here. I remember I used to google and wiki all those terms I saw here and keep finding new information. From not understand what they were talking about to enjoy their conversation. I can tell you it was really great in the first 6 to 8 months after I joined this forum ( i join this forum in March 2008)

I do not mean it is bad now, but it is rather different. I really wish I know where those great members hang out now hahaha ... so that I can learn more especially on the concept side.

err wait you totally lost me with that last post

Photographic Discussions

^^ That forum. Couldn't that essentially encompass 90% of the discussion on this site? One forum would make it much easier to mod.

Not if you read the description of it.

One of the problems is that people read less and less. If a person is in such a hurry to show us their amazing oof/didn't-really-give-a-thought-to-this-image snapshot that they won't even open the manual, do you think they will read the description of the various forums? Doubtful.

You could have the best break-up of subjects and it wouldn't make any difference if people don't read the description.

All the posts in this thread about needing more Mods makes me laugh, one of the first things the new owners did was to get rid of the best Mod this forum ever had, LaFoto.

Face facts people, this forum will never be as it once was.

The new owners have no interest in photography, period. Sure they may own a Point n shoot camera and hell I bet they even have a camera on their phones, but they have only one interest where this forum is concerned, money. Just look at all the adverts all over the place. How often are they on here posting photos or joining in with other members threads? Ummm let me guess..... never??

Way, way, way back in March I posted this thread asking the new owners about the new features for subscribers that they talked about http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/feedback-suggestions/160934-new-tpf-owners.html and here we are in August and HOLY **** no replies from them! They can't even be arsed to check their own feedback section. That says it all to me.

I now post on a new little forum, 50 or so active members, so less then the number of members on here in the evenings and I get more replies but not only that I get more useful replies.

But again I'm just wasting my time typing this out so off I go.

I cant argue against that LP - heck they don't have to have a major interest in photography, but some interest in the running of the forum would be nice. I do remember that they said wait whilst they reordered the membership section and perks but don't recall ever seeing a post outlining their specific plans nor what features they would be.

As for mods I do feel bad for the mods we do still have - only a handfull on a very big froum with limited timezones :(

I understand completely LP. Anyone notice anything different about my avvy of late?

<------------------

The renewal notice came and was immediately binned.

When their member base goes else where, so will their profit.

Chase did a good job of optimizing the site for google searches - it still ranks quite high in the list and has a good name as well so chances are the influx of new members won't let up any time soon

When their member base goes else where, so will their profit.

Chase did a good job of optimizing the site for google searches - it still ranks quite high in the list and has a good name as well so chances are the influx of new members won't let up any time soon

... and we all know how much value the vast majority of new users add to a forum. ;) MORE new threads on what lens or camera to buy, anyone?

A forum is born of it's members, but it is SUSTAINED by the infrastructure and strength of the senior members. If the seniors leave and the administrative staff doesn't really care, well why not just pull the chain on this place so it all goes down the toilet now, instead of wasting time dying a slow and greuesome death? Because even if this *is* what the owners want, before pulling the chain, they are going to suck each and every penny from any and every source they can.

When the human factor is lost in a forum replaced by the drive for dollars... this is not someplace that I want to be a part of.

I now post on a new little forum, 50 or so active members, so less then the number of members on here in the evenings and I get more replies but not only that I get more useful replies.

Not really... PM me or email me the link. I'm interested in checking it out, if it is not a private by invitation only kind of place?

post a photo in what ever valid Photo forum it belongs in asking for C&C and post the same photo in the Noob forum at the same time. You'll get a ton of people commenting and viewing in the Noob Toob, but only maybe one or two in the actually photo forum, if you're lucky that is.

:( The more advanced forums used to be busier? That's something even a (relatively) new member like myself can appreciate. It's gets pretty annoying having a photo that I felt was really good go for a 100+ views without comments. I used to think it was an indication of my skill level. Glad to see it's not just me but sad that the Beginners forum is such a sponge.

Not really... PM me or email me the link. I'm interested in checking it out, if it is not a private by invitation only kind of place?

I'm interested too.. Though don't feel bad if I don't join.With everything I do, I'm terrible in the sense that I have too much brand loyalty. TPF being no exception ;).

Sonce I'm sure this isn't getting a lot of attention from the Noobs,

www.mycanikon.com is a good one. Not too big and some skilled photogs there. A lot of automotive stuff, as a lot of the members are from an RSX board. I'd be willing to created an host a private forum on my Domain Invite only. Mod me is way different than general user me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back