Not quite 4,000...

..... Only been here a couple months but in that short time it seems to have gotten totally ridiculous.
New members who know next to nothing giving the most ridiculous advice as if they were long time pros.
Overall quality of the uploaded photos going seriously south.
New members seem to have thinner and thinner skin. .....

I do not know if it is a coincident or not, I believe it all started when "Photography Beginners' Forum" section changed to "Photography Beginners' Forum & Photo Gallery"

I don't think so - many beginners already used the section to get advice on photos which they posted there - the change in name mearly meant that the mods no longer had to move threads (and have other members whine about photos in the wrong section ;) ).
Besides it does allow for a more concentrated effort since many beginner level images in the galleries would get overlooked often as not

Dao's opinion is the same as my own. People used to actually visit the other photo forums, but now, the Noob section seems to be TPF. No one really checks out the other parts. Here's a little experiment that will prove my point, post a photo in what ever valid Photo forum it belongs in asking for C&C and post the same photo in the Noob forum at the same time. You'll get a ton of people commenting and viewing in the Noob Toob, but only maybe one or two in the actually photo forum, if you're lucky that is.

Difference is? Quality of critique. It really sucks though. TPF could literally do away with all the other forums except the Noob Toob and still run just as normal with only a few complaints due to lack of choices.

But hey, I don't run things here, I just run with things.

I could not locate that particular old thread. It was the thread that talked about creating a photo posting section for beginner.

The request was based on the beginners did not have a place to post their photos for C&C. (I was a photography noob at that time) They did not want to post their photos to the photo galleries because they thought their works were not belongs there (yet).

Hence the Beginner Forum changed to "Photography Beginners' Forum & Photo Gallery". And beginner started post their photos there. So everyone follows including new members.

And I started to notice more and more snapshot type photos appeared.

I could not locate that particular old thread. It was the thread that talked about creating a photo posting section for beginner.

The request was based on the beginners did not have a place to post their photos for C&C. (I was a photography noob at that time) They did not want to post their photos to the photo galleries because they thought their works were not belongs there (yet).

Hence the Beginner Forum changed to "Photography Beginners' Forum & Photo Gallery". And beginner started post their photos there. So everyone follows including new members.

And I started to notice more and more snapshot type photos appeared.

The bold is a good thing. Maybe if people have photos that they were proud to post and wanted C&C on would be a much better thing that people posting every single shot they took.

That's why beginner C&C posts rarely even get a look from me. The picture of the crooked telephone pole in the parking lot with no processing is posted because why?

That's why beginner C&C posts rarely even get a look from me. The picture of the crooked telephone pole in the parking lot with no processing is posted because why?

because they have yet to learn to ask that question?

because they have yet to learn to ask that question?

Because that would have been the 500th crooked telephone pole I've seen and apparently if they looked in other threads besides posting their own to ask questions about their snapshots, then it would cut down on the crap threads.

That's why beginner C&C posts rarely even get a look from me.

The problem with this attitude is that those posts are getting more and more responses of the style: "good shot" from people who don't know anymore than the op since those of us who should be saying: "just another snapshot" are not doing it.

Btw, I do the same more and more. :D

That's why beginner C&C posts rarely even get a look from me.

The problem with this attitude is that those posts are getting more and more responses of the style: "good shot" from people who don't know anymore than the op since those of us who should be saying: "just another snapshot" are not doing it.

Btw, I do the same more and more. :D

Maybe, "It's serious crap and don't post again until you have something better", is a better approach to this subject....or just keeping your mouth shut so you don't hurt their feelings.

What about posts that should not be in the Noob Toob section?

Clients? Wedding? Shouldn't this be in the business section? Yep, this OP is definitely a noob:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...oto-gallery/174389-amazed-honesty-client.html
"Photoshoot" with a model wearing no clothes and some obvious lighting going on? People section.:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...hoto-gallery/174324-model-bar-photoshoot.html

Photobag for a student...with a D700. Equipment section? Photography discussion? Not the NoobToob:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...m-photo-gallery/174259-photo-bag-student.html

This guy won a 5D MKII from selling the most something or others for his job and wants to let us know. What's that have to do with being a noob? He's obviously good at his job if he won that:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...98-those-who-wanted-know-those-who-didnt.html

And so on.

^^ I was going to mention a similar point of contention. A couple of hours ago, I had a look at the Beginners forum. On the first page of 40 threads, clearly 10 were about gear, a technique ??, a software ?? and at least one OT thread..... just by the threads titles. Apparently the guidelines are either not researched, overlooked or completely thumbed at. It's the kiddie pool without a lifeguard. Anyone who's serious about learning about how to improve with photography and has half a brain, will soon enough figure out that is not where it's going to happen.

^^ I was going to mention a similar point of contention. A couple of hours ago, I had a look at the Beginners forum. On the first page of 40 threads, clearly 10 were about gear, a technique ??, a software ?? and at least one OT thread..... just by the threads titles. Apparently the guidelines are either not researched, overlooked or completely thumbed at. It's the kiddie pool without a lifeguard. Anyone who's serious about learning about how to improve with photography and has half a brain, will soon enough figure out that is not where it's going to happen.

Moderators, site admins, I'm actually being serious here for a moment, do you forum "employees" notice this trend or care? Do any of you think the board would be better off with a redesign of forums like:

bodies
lenses
technique
lighting

As it stands now, beginner and advanced are too ambiguous. I've always thought this but never mentioned it. When is the line drawn? As this has been pointed out, there are obviously many threads that end up in sections where they shouldn't be. I've seen "What camera should I buy" threads in the beginner, the advanced, the discussion, and the equipment sections simultaneously.

It's a rule of forums that people cannot distinguish where their topics should go on their own unless it's completely spelled out to them.

Has any of the forum management ever discussed this?

If you change it, I promise to be on my best behaviour for 24 hours.

:thumbup:

I do have a feeling that since the website owners changed our mods have been left a bit understaffed with the site - though out of interest anyone used the report feature on those thread to point out (nicly) that they are in the wrong section (I tend to never notice as I surf in newposts most of the time)

I do have a feeling that since the website owners changed our mods have been left a bit understaffed with the site - though out of interest anyone used the report feature on those thread to point out (nicly) that they are in the wrong section (I tend to never notice as I surf in newposts most of the time)

Would it be better for mods to have hundreds of reports (think if multiple people are reporting the same thread) or for the forum sections to be clear cut so posts don't have to be reported for being in the wrong section?

Plus, the report screen shows this:
Report said:
Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

The report screen is just the auto VBulletin one - same as the FAQ on the topbar and other things - it can be used for more than just spam. Plus I am sure I have seen the mods state that using the report feature for such use is something they would like encouraged

AS for sections they are pretty clear cut as it is - barring where the divide between beginner and more experienced is (since I don't think anyone will ever agree on a fixed boundary for that line as it is).
However new people make mistakes - heck even old members occasionally stick threads in the wrong place. What should happen is mods move them and winge at people for having to do so - thus helping ensoure people check where they post more.

However understaffed and without reports they are rather outnumbered I feel

The report screen is just the auto VBulletin one - same as the FAQ on the topbar and other things - it can be used for more than just spam. Plus I am sure I have seen the mods state that using the report feature for such use is something they would like encouraged

AS for sections they are pretty clear cut as it is - barring where the divide between beginner and more experienced is (since I don't think anyone will ever agree on a fixed boundary for that line as it is).
However new people make mistakes - heck even old members occasionally stick threads in the wrong place. What should happen is mods move them and winge at people for having to do so - thus helping ensoure people check where they post more.

However understaffed and without reports they are rather outnumbered I feel

Isn't everything in the noob, advanced, equipment, business, galleries, etc... also photographic discussion? If so, why is there a photographic discussions forum?

Most reactions

Back