Not quite 4,000...

Mod me is way different than general user me.
Now that's a loaded image to reconcile.

I like Dgrin and the other little one LP was talking about, but more lurker than participant atm. Nikoncafe ain't too bad either. Plus some of the local Flickr / Google groups I participate in.

EDIT:
Last check..... 3 comments / 67 views of my water drops (and one of them was mine). Phfffttt..............

^^^ :lol:

Well, if a private forum or a forum with more focused/more experienced photographers is around and anyone is interested in having me along, I'd be excited. If I don't get any invites to the party, I'll just assume everyone hates me and nip off to shoot myself.

*sob*

I was here before as Lady Photog, I left because of the stuff that was going on. I came back to see if it had changed.

I didn't tell anyone because I didn't care enough to try to change it. So, the fact that you started this thread means that you do care, it's not about attention. I'm sorry but that was a dumb comment (I am not calling anyone dumb, I said the comment was dumb).

I have decided since being back and by the way I wasn't trying to trick anyone, this is my studio name, that I will give true critique. If they don't like it that is their problem.

Please all of the old and wise ones, please don't leave like I did. It can be nice here, we just have to make it work. Since we aren't going to get any help we should do what Mike said. Report things and be honest even if 10 people have said they liked the image, if you don't, say so, be tactful, but say so.

What I can't get over is when I was starting out I knew my pictures were bad or just ok, why don't these people?

What I can't get over is when I was starting out I knew my pictures were bad or just ok, why don't these people?

This "problem" I do not think is so rampent as some makeout that it is. However when there is a problem situation the thread tends to rapidly grow and turn into a fighting zone - often shifting into newmembers vs old. Its also often a result of a tone of typing rather than the actual coments as well, I have seen several experienced members whose typing language is of a form which when read can (to some) seem to be condesending, insulting or just overfocusing on the negative aspects - even though the person does not intend that to be the case (of course newer members don't realise this whilst the old do - ergo the boundaries are drawn).

The report screen is just the auto VBulletin one - same as the FAQ on the topbar and other things - it can be used for more than just spam. Plus I am sure I have seen the mods state that using the report feature for such use is something they would like encouraged

AS for sections they are pretty clear cut as it is - barring where the divide between beginner and more experienced is (since I don't think anyone will ever agree on a fixed boundary for that line as it is).
However new people make mistakes - heck even old members occasionally stick threads in the wrong place. What should happen is mods move them and winge at people for having to do so - thus helping ensoure people check where they post more.

However understaffed and without reports they are rather outnumbered I feel

Isn't everything in the noob, advanced, equipment, business, galleries, etc... also photographic discussion? If so, why is there a photographic discussions forum?
For this:

Photographic Discussions A place to discuss what photography means to you: your influences, ethical challenges, abstract ideas, and other non-technical matters about photography and photographers.
It is not unreasonable or unexpected that newbies to TPF will post a technical question in here, or post about what photography means to them in the Beginner's section. It's why we try to keep the number of forums in check. Still, there will be crossovers.

However new people make mistakes - heck even old members occasionally stick threads in the wrong place. What should happen is mods move them and winge at people for having to do so - thus helping ensoure people check where they post more.
It seems we agree on your first statement here. Where we part company is your assessment of what moderator action/reaction should be. We're not here to scold newbies for a mis-post, nor chase them around to ensure everyone's posts meet the definition of the forum they are in. That is not possible or practical, regardless of the # of moderators we have on board.

It's a balancing act between these two things:

* TPF staff cannot and do not review every single post, nor are we responsible for the content of any posted message. However, we reserve the right to edit, move, or delete any message whatsoever, which may be done with or without explanation.

*TPF Staff also reserve the right to move, with or without explanation, any message that appears to be posted in the wrong forum. Although every effort is made to contact the poster when this is done, this is not always possible.
I spend more time trying to explain and justify what we do and how we do it in threads like these, frankly. ;) This thread started as some kind of complaint about lack of good C&C forums; I addressed that (and BigMike also weighed in) a few pages ago. Now, you guys are just complaining in general about the membership.

No offense, but from a moderator standpoint...it gets old. You don't collectively seem to want to be "member-driven" and organize; it's easier to complain vaguely about lack of moderators here and how annoying newbies can be. Come on, now! You guys don't seem to get that you're the ones who make it or break it here. Note my signature: it's been there over a year now and I remember adding it after going through a round of complaints very similar to this one. :razz:

Instead of getting annoyed, spend your next 10 posts doing something positive for the forum: tell a newbie when he's posted in the wrong forum; point another newbie to a helpful thread or article here when he posts the same question you've seen a dozen or more times. Positive, positive! :thumbup:

If you members don't nurture the forum you claim to care so much about, you can bet it will spiral into little more than drivel from newbies and bitching from the core membership...which is what we all see so much of these days.

The report screen is just the auto VBulletin one - same as the FAQ on the topbar and other things - it can be used for more than just spam. Plus I am sure I have seen the mods state that using the report feature for such use is something they would like encouraged

AS for sections they are pretty clear cut as it is - barring where the divide between beginner and more experienced is (since I don't think anyone will ever agree on a fixed boundary for that line as it is).

However understaffed and without reports they are rather outnumbered I feel

Isn't everything in the noob, advanced, equipment, business, galleries, etc... also photographic discussion? If so, why is there a photographic discussions forum?
For this:

It is not unreasonable or unexpected that newbies to TPF will post a technical question in here, or post about what photography means to them in the Beginner's section. It's why we try to keep the number of forums in check. Still, there will be crossovers.

It seems we agree on your first statement here. Where we part company is your assessment of what moderator action/reaction should be. We're not here to scold newbies for a mis-post, nor chase them around to ensure everyone's posts meet the definition of the forum they are in. That is not possible or practical, regardless of the # of moderators we have on board.

It's a balancing act between these two things:

* TPF staff cannot and do not review every single post, nor are we responsible for the content of any posted message. However, we reserve the right to edit, move, or delete any message whatsoever, which may be done with or without explanation.

*TPF Staff also reserve the right to move, with or without explanation, any message that appears to be posted in the wrong forum. Although every effort is made to contact the poster when this is done, this is not always possible.
I spend more time trying to explain and justify what we do and how we do it in threads like these, frankly. ;) This thread started as some kind of complaint about lack of good C&C forums; I addressed that (and BigMike also weighed in) a few pages ago. Now, you guys are just complaining in general about the membership.

No offense, but from a moderator standpoint...it gets old. You don't collectively seem to want to be "member-driven" and organize; it's easier to complain vaguely about lack of moderators here and how annoying newbies can be. Come on, now! You guys don't seem to get that you're the ones who make it or break it here. Note my signature: it's been there over a year now and I remember adding it after going through a round of complaints very similar to this one. :razz:

Instead of getting annoyed, spend your next 10 posts doing something positive for the forum: tell a newbie when he's posted in the wrong forum; point another newbie to a helpful thread or article here when he posts the same question you've seen a dozen or more times. Positive, positive! :thumbup:

If you members don't nurture the forum you claim to care so much about, you can bet it will spiral into little more than drivel from newbies and bitching from the core membership...which is what we all see so much of these days.

I know other that have posted in this thread have most likely posted 10 previous post with helpful information and this wasn't just about noobs. There are experienced members doing the same.

But from here on out, I will definitely point out that these people are posting in the wrong section...even though it probably won't do any good.

It's Monday. I knew I should have been sick today. :grumpy:

In an effort to do this very same positive action, last night I scoured the Beginners thread. When I noticed the thread was probably better suited in a different forum, I responded with....
This thread would probably been better served in the Beyond The Basics forum. I don't see any relevance to the Beginners' Forum and Photo Gallery
I edited the message to the appropiate forum. This particular thread was about portrait lighting.

So someone *read newbie* figured that I was trolling and had too much time on my hand. Their response was......
are you just traveling around to each thread stating that its in the wrong place? lots of spare time on your hands? how is this one not a beginner question? he asking a pretty basic question about lighting.

When I explained that there is a lot of posts in the wrong forums, they replied back with....
i have no problem with your post.. and I think your 100% right.. however, it just strikes me as odd that your going from post to post, posting that message, and your not even a mod... it just made me think you must have a lot of spare time on your hands.
Of course, my time is my own and can manage it any which way I care to, but it goes to the point that trying to be helpful in a succint, non-accusitory manner will still get you banging your head against the wall. The responder was not the OP either.

I'm almost at 4,000 posts here.

I don't quite think I'm going to make it.

manaheim, welcome to 4000+ So you did make it.

I did. Ironically I'm being a bit of a lurker on this particular thread as it's interesting to see how this continues to evolve.

Such as kundalini's experiment...

In an effort to do this very same positive action, last night I scoured the Beginners thread. When I noticed the thread was probably better suited in a different forum, I responded with....
This thread would probably been better served in the Beyond The Basics forum. I don't see any relevance to the Beginners' Forum and Photo Gallery
I edited the message to the appropiate forum. This particular thread was about portrait lighting.

So someone *read newbie* figured that I was trolling and had too much time on my hand. Their response was......
are you just traveling around to each thread stating that its in the wrong place? lots of spare time on your hands? how is this one not a beginner question? he asking a pretty basic question about lighting.

When I explained that there is a lot of posts in the wrong forums, they replied back with....
i have no problem with your post.. and I think your 100% right.. however, it just strikes me as odd that your going from post to post, posting that message, and your not even a mod... it just made me think you must have a lot of spare time on your hands.
Of course, my time is my own and can manage it any which way I care to, but it goes to the point that trying to be helpful in a succint, non-accusitory manner will still get you banging your head against the wall. The responder was not the OP either.
Well, between the two of us we could probably find more head-banging threads in 5 minutes than informative ones. :) But the point is, you don't have to be a moderator here to be helpful. Heck I've been yelled at for doing the same thing and I AM a mod. :lol: People need to get that this place does its best with informed, positive-thinking, helpful members around, the more long-term they are, the better. You don't have to explain or apologize to anyone for being one of those. Just smile and move on.

Just smile and move on.[/QUOTE]

:D
2.gif

I just tried this as well. The poster said they posted in the noob section as it was a pretty active place to get people looking at their post.

:er:

I hear you VI. You know, the OP can just say ... "Ok, sorry I will post it to a correct section next time .." Then everything will be fine. Then we can focus back on the original question and move on ....

oh well ...

Now .. I may just want to start my own photography related forum ... <sigh>

Most reactions

Back