Not Sure How I Did This...

I found one for Firefox. For the Flickr, as long as the link to the hosted image works, you can usually get exif there unless the user has turned it off.

f/4.5 with that magnification got you - remember that higher magnification decreases the DoF. I guess the first one is movement. Maybe practice on a stack of coins.

That is my read on it as well...high magnification means shallow depth of field on such a subject as a bee at close distance, and it does look like motion blurring to me on the bee; note that the flower seems pretty sharp, not blurred, since it was not moving.

f/4.5 with that magnification got you - remember that higher magnification decreases the DoF. I guess the first one is movement. Maybe practice on a stack of coins.

That is my read on it as well...high magnification means shallow depth of field on such a subject as a bee at close distance, and it does look like motion blurring to me on the bee; note that the flower seems pretty sharp, not blurred, since it was not moving.

But, at least to me, the black veins/lines on the back wing (bee-left) look in focus on that first shot. Maybe my new eyes are just playing tricks on me.

snowbear said:
But, at least to me, the black veins/lines on the back wing (bee-left) look in focus on that first shot. Maybe my new eyes are just playing tricks on me.

Yes, the wing and veins ARE in-focus...but the DOF is insuficient to cover the other parts of the bee. As you can see, the closer wing is out of focus. The cilia on the middle of the bee near the far wing is sharpish. Your eyes are not playing any tricks...f/4.5 on a bee close-up, single-frame shot, will almost always have way too little DOF to get the whole bee in-focus.

I'd usually think about shooting at like f/13 or f/16, with flash, to get something that small and fast and that close-up in focus, or mostly in-focus

I can see it if I just mouse over the photo. Is that an add on?

I think that's a function of the forum software that works with some browsers.

Cool.

Hmmm...apparently Google Chrome isn't one.

I'm using Chrome. It's possible that at some point I downloaded or added some type of EXIF reader extension... I'm pretty much winging it when it comes to all things internet.

Thanks! I just added an extension that works here when I mouse over too.
Thanks to ALL of you for your great hints and tips. You guys and gals are the best!

I can see it if I just mouse over the photo. Is that an add on?

I think that's a function of the forum software that works with some browsers.

Cool.

Hmmm...apparently Google Chrome isn't one.

I'm using Chrome. It's possible that at some point I downloaded or added some type of EXIF reader extension... I'm pretty much winging it when it comes to all things internet.

Thanks! I just added an extension that works here when I mouse over too.
Thanks to ALL of you for your great hints and tips. You guys and gals are the best!

Absolutely hilarious that I must have somehow downloaded the extension and never realized it was working until today, lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back