Not sure if I like this one...what do you think?

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_0714.jpg

I think there's too much going on in the b&w area. A lot of pros don't like selective coloring, but a lot of my clients do. With that being said I think it looks best when you take a great b&w shot, and only throw in one color on an object that's part of the main subject, but might otherwise be easily overlooked, such as a hairbow or dress or something.

KAikens
Who cares what a "lot of the pros" think. I am glad you and others perform the art of photography as you see fit. It is a big world with lots of room for all.

This photo is tough to decide on. It does seem busy. I am not sure if the selective coloring does makes it so, or if the b&w backround.

I would try and apply a Gaussian Blur (medium strength) to the B&W background, see if you can make the focal point pop a bit more. Selective color doesn't work well then everything is in focus.

p!nk

I personally think the selective coloring takes away from the picture. I would love to see the original.

Even I personally do not like selective coloring much, but I do this one. I think it's because it's already the center focal point, and I am already drawn to it. In this picture it really gives it dimension. As I stare at it, looks kinda 3d.

Looking at this photo again, I noticed what was catching my eye. The color portion looks as though it may have been photoshopped into the picture.

I hate selective coloring 99% of the time....but we all go through that phase I think. Almost always, it looks better if you desaturate the background some instead of completely. Leaving the background in color, but with less saturation will make the flower pop against the background while not giving it a cheesy photoshopped look.

Secondly, you need to think about being more creative with your composition. More often than not, a photo with the subject placed smack dab in the middle is less appealing than other possible compositions. I don't always stick to the rule of thirds, but I usually only break it if there is a valid reason in the image....which I don't see here.

Most reactions

Back