not too happy but some shots nonetheless from asheville nc

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
no CC needed really so ima post a few more than usual, but if u have the time feel free. i think my sensor needs cleaning and my 18-55 i used on these since i was doing a lot of beating around has seen its day, something doesnt seem right.

exposure was absolute fail here, seems my CP filter was making things very fuzzy, so i ended up disgarding it. clarity was another issue, im not too sure wtf is going on.

anyways heres some

ash1.jpg

ash2.jpg

ash3.jpg

ash4.jpg

ash5.jpg

ash6.jpg

ash7.jpg

ash8.jpg

ash9.jpg

ash10.jpg

on the filter, unless you spent a ton you put a low-cost piece of glass in front of a precision lens. this is the biggest reason to not use a filter. and photos don't have to be tact sharp. sometimes you don't want it because sharper introduces more noise

exposure looks good to me

on the last water shot try pulling up more on the composition. this would make a good square photo I think

they're not all outstanding but they're not bad as a set.

A CP filter shouldn't make things hazy unless it was cheap. Some of these shots could have benefitted from it. Overall, these aren't bad shots. The sky is blown in a few of them, but otherwise you nailed exposure pretty well.

Too many for me to C&C individually, but overall they aren't bad. Just watch your highlights. If you had a cheap CP, get a higher quality one. You won't be disapointed.

on the filter, unless you spent a ton you put a low-cost piece of glass in front of a precision lens. this is the biggest reason to not use a filter. and photos don't have to be tact sharp. sometimes you don't want it because sharper introduces more noise

exposure looks good to me

on the last water shot try pulling up more on the composition. this would make a good square photo I think

they're not all outstanding but they're not bad as a set.

thanks. the last water shot with the rock, or the more panaroma version one? ill give it a shot. and yea, its a cheap CP. i didnt know that, thanks! :confused:

A CP filter shouldn't make things hazy unless it was cheap. Some of these shots could have benefitted from it. Overall, these aren't bad shots. The sky is blown in a few of them, but otherwise you nailed exposure pretty well.

Too many for me to C&C individually, but overall they aren't bad. Just watch your highlights. If you had a cheap CP, get a higher quality one. You won't be disapointed.

thanks, and yea the sky was my issue :x

I own a radio station on the other side of the state, but to get there from Indiana, I have to drive through Ashville (was a REAL PAIN during the time they had to clear the rockslide on 40 - but that sent me through Johnson City, which is also beautiful country I plan to revisit when the leaves change).

But when I saw this thread I expected to see some of those much talked about waterfalls that area is so well known for. Considered taking a couple days in that area in search of some of them.

I own a radio station on the other side of the state, but to get there from Indiana, I have to drive through Ashville (was a REAL PAIN during the time they had to clear the rockslide on 40 - but that sent me through Johnson City, which is also beautiful country I plan to revisit when the leaves change).

But when I saw this thread I expected to see some of those much talked about waterfalls that area is so well known for. Considered taking a couple days in that area in search of some of them.

well all the other times weve gone to waterfalls and ive posted up a few. little change of pace here :lol:

Brevard in Transylvania County is a good central spot to catch many waterfalls in the area. A good guide book to find them is [ame=http://www.amazon.com/North-Carolina-Waterfalls-Hiking-Photography/dp/0895873206/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280938983&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: North Carolina Waterfalls: A Hiking and Photography…[/ame]

Brevard also the home of the infamous white squirrel.

I'm in love with number 5, and I don't know why exactly! It's just a really cool picture! Good job.

thanks. i cant wait to go back in the fall when the leaves are turning and get some shots. im planning to spend a few more days and do a lot of shooting. hope to have a nicer set of filters then.

any suggestions on good CP filters?

If you're hunting waterfalls and want that cotton candy look to the water, you'll want a neutral density (ND) filter also. You can stack a CPL on an ND (as long as you don't get a 'slim' filter). NDs come in various stops, pick your poison, but I chose an x8.

You don't necessarily need the most expensive, but get a good quality. I use B+W and Hoya Pro series filters. Multi-coating is something to have. $50-200 is a decent range for a good CPL.

Some good reading on filters.

http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm

In case you thought I was pulling your leg about the white squirrel in Brevard.....

White-Squirrel-1.jpg

White-Squirrel-3.jpg

Last edited:
If you're hunting waterfalls and want that cotton candy look to the water, you'll want a neutral density (ND) filter also. You can stack a CPL on an ND (as long as you don't get a 'slim' filter). NDs come in various stops, pick your poison, but I chose an x8.

You don't necessarily need the most expensive, but get a good quality. I use B+W and Hoya Pro series filters. Multi-coating is something to have. $50-200 is a decent range for a good CPL.

Some good reading on filters.

Filters by Thom Hogan

In case you thought I was pulling your leg about the white squirrel in Brevard.....

lol thats awesome with the squirrel. my wife said they had them there for a movie and some got out and started breeding with the other squirrels or something. shes from buncombe county which is pretty close to there so she knows the area.

and thanks, ill invest in a decent set of filters :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back