Novice questions about Canon T5 lenses

primetime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got an entry level Canon T5 with the 18-55mm lens. I like photographing the outdoors both day and night, so lighting is a concern. Both close up pictures of flowers and plants, but also landscape shots. I heard that the 18-55mm won't be adequate. What kind of lenses should I buy? I can get a deal locally on several used lenses. Are any of these good deals? Should I opt for something on this list, or is there one not listed that would be better? I'd like to have the least # of lenses to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Once I get the feel for it, I will upgrade the T5.

CANON 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 IS $250
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM $175
CANON EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III LENS $85
CANON EF 50mm f/1.8 II LENS $60

CANON EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS LENS $85
SIGMA 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG MACRO $90
TAMRON AF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 LENS $50
TAMRON AF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD MACRO LENS $60
TAMRON AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 LENS $100
SIGMA AF 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS LENS $110

Huh? Most people will recommend using the 18-55 until you KNOW why it isn't adequate.

I think the 18- 55 STM is a very adequate lens for a variety of subjects.

Ok, but what are some reasons that it may not be adequate? I've heard that it's not a good lens. What subjects is it not good on? Do you have a link to which lenses work best for which type of shots? That would really be helpful to me.

Almost any lens can be used for landscape.... Its all about focal length.................
Its really about focal length on flowers too.

I don't know of any lens that will not photograph landscape and or a flowers.......

I have used a 400mm to photograph flowers and to photograph the grand canyon....
I use a TSE 17 mm to do the same thing and every lens in between.

Ok, but what are some reasons that it may not be adequate? I've heard that it's not a good lens. What subjects is it not good on? Do you have a link to which lenses work best for which type of shots? That would really be helpful to me.

I think the Canon 18-55 is STM is just as good if not better than the lenses you listed. You may find yourself wanting a larger aperture or closer focusing distances in the future, but none that you listed would be sharper or more capable for landscapes and flowers.

I think the Canon 18-55 is STM is just as good if not better than the lenses you listed. You may find yourself wanting a larger aperture or closer focusing distances in the future, but none that you listed would be sharper or more capable for landscapes and flowers.

Well if that is the case that's great! What would I need that would result in sharper image? I found some good info here:

What are the best lenses for Canon t5 ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back