Now that i have a camera, what should i get next???

deudeu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i have bought a Samsung GX-10 with the 18-55 kit lens about 5 months ago. I have now been playing with it for a while and learning how it works. It has been fun.
Now i hope that soon i will have some money to spend on this thing. SO here is a question i have not been able to answer: What should i get next? Obviously it depends on what i want to do with my camera.
Well, right now I take pictures of a lot of things. I travel a bit, and i will travel more, so travel photography and photojournalism is something that i am interested in. I also like to take portrait shots, architectural pictures, indoor photography...
In the long term i am really intersted in doing some night architectural photography.
SO what do you think my next investment should be?
Should i save up a bit longer and buy a wide angle lens for the architectural pictures?(i think that the sigma 10-20 will be my next lens)?
Should i buy a tripod and start practicing on night photography? (i have been looking at Manfrotto's 055XB with a 488RC2 Ball head)
I don't have any decent software on my mac and i want to work with raw files soon because i am never sure that i have the right white balance and exposure(how can you on a small LCD screen in a bright place?) and i want to get the best out of the few good pictures i take. Should i invest in Raw developer, PS element or lightroom? (though i am not big on manipulating pictures i just want them to look as close to reality as possible so PS really doesn't appeal to me...right now i am considering Raw developer to be the best alternative for me)
Should i go ahead and just buy a nice polarized filter as those seam to be more useful on a daily basis and cheaper? (multi coated and circular is a must, right?)
Any other equipment i haven't considered that could be fun out there? Are each of the things i have been looking at the right choices?
Thank you for the upcoming advice,
Cheers

I decided to go with the tripod, personally. If you want to take really sharp pictures you should be shooting with one anyway. That means ideally you'd need to buy one for architectural photography. Might as well get it first and take some nice sharp pics while saving up for the wide angle lens.

I got raw developper... Cheaper than a tripod and allows me to shot raw which allows me to underexpose my night shots a bit and be okay with it. I am pretty happy with the investment. I think that the tripod will be next! Thanks Sim

you need to take more pictures, as you take more pictures you will learn what you need, get it? for instance i was struggling w/ my 55-80, so i picked up a 70-300...so as your photography changes you equipt will...right now i want a wide angle for some of the homes i have been shooting

I thought i was going to get a tripod next but i bought an old school pentax prime instead. I think that what i really need is a wide angle zoom (I want the sigma 10-20 really bad) but you just can't beat the price of the Pentax M 50mm f1.7 i just bought.
Can't wait for that to arrive!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back