NYC during Christmas time pictures?

ATekk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to start off by saying thank you for having such an informative and helpful forum, especially for beginner photographers like myself. I have always enjoyed photography and recently bit the bullet and invested in the Canon T1i deal that Amazon has running.

I have read through the Beginner forums and especially loved Tiberius47's tutorials. They were very well written and super easy to understand for someone like myself. I have also ordered Understanding Exposure and hope to get it in the next day or so.

Now I hope that I have posted this question in the correct area as I wanted to introduce myself as a beginner first. I searched several different key words but was not able to find any threads on pictures taken at NYC during Christmas time. Has anyone seen such a thread or have pictures to share? I will be heading into the city this weekend and was hoping to get some creative ideas as well as photo settings for different areas in NY. This will be my first time in NYC with my new camera so I want to try to catch all the X-Mas time activity I normally wanted to take but didnt come out well on my point-and-shoot camera.

Any input into some great spots for pictures or particular settings that worked well would be much appreciated

Thanks!

I've only lived in NYC for 6 months, and haven't done any photography here, but I'll share one thought that came to mind:

the 34th Street Macy's must have lots of holiday decorations--I was in there around Thanksgiving and they already had a ton of Christmas stuff on one of the upper floors.

Also, the decorations in little shops and restaurants and apartments say 'Christmas' to me as much as the big stuff.

I've only lived in NYC for 6 months, and haven't done any photography here, but I'll share one thought that came to mind:

the 34th Street Macy's must have lots of holiday decorations--I was in there around Thanksgiving and they already had a ton of Christmas stuff on one of the upper floors.

Also, the decorations in little shops and restaurants and apartments say 'Christmas' to me as much as the big stuff.

Thanks Cal...thats a great idea. I normally go to see the window displays in Saks and such but its a great idea to go in the stores themselves since the decorations and toys will be fun to photograph.

I don't live in Manhattan, but I worked in Manhattan and lived in Queens (I'm back on Long Island now. Boooo). So, I'd like to think I possess some kind of savviness. Like Cal said, The 34th Street Macy's is a good spot. I'd also check out pretty much up and down 5th Ave., like you were seemingly going to do by going to Saks. 5th Ave. is a great place to find that stuff. I'd say continue all the way up 5th Ave. to Central Park. I'd also check out Bryant Park on 42nd St. SoHo isn't so bad either. What you'll essentially want to look for are the tourist traps. I don't say that in a condescending NYer way. But the places where most tourists are, is where the city spends the most money on decorations, etc.

By the way, if you're interested, I represent Panasonic's Living In HD community, and tonight (12/15) we're holding a free photography class on Taking Better Photos With Flash. It'll be hosted by professional DPA photography John Bentham. I'd really appreciate it if you could support us (and me) by registering for the class and showing up! Heck, if you can at least register, that'd be great as well.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/898926434

Thanks,
Amadeo
(On behalf of Panasonic's LivingInHD.com)

Most reactions

Back